Model Cars Magazine Forum

2015 Mustang Retro Custom

Steve_L

My model car club, Atlanta Car Model Enthusiasts (ACME), hosts the ACME Southern Nationals NNL show each November. We often conduct a group build during the year and display the members' completed projects at that show.

This year the ACME group build is based on the Revell 2015 Mustang snap kit. A couple of ACME members are combining that kit with earlier full detail Mustang kits to create more fully detail projects. However, I decided to build my group entry as a retro-style curbside custom car. I have never done as much work on a snap kit as I did on this project!

I started by slamming the suspension and adding parts box disc brakes along with custom wheels from the 1963 Corvette kit. Custom touches include removing the door handles, filling some panel lines and filling numerous areas to simplify the look of the body. I added rear view mirrors from a Corvette kit. I used Rustoleum gold for the base and more coats than usual of Spaz Stix Candy Red to give a darker ruby red finish. I covered that with Rustoleum clear and extensively polished the finish. The interior is finished in Duplicolor White Primer with paint detailing. This was a fun project and I can't wait to see it on the display table with the builds from other ACME members!

IMG_7457-vi.jpg

IMG_7458-vi.jpg

IMG_7459-vi.jpg

IMG_7460-vi.jpg

IMG_7463-vi.jpg

IMG_7464-vi.jpg

• 2 weeks later...