Model Cars Magazine Forum

Crooked licence plates ? Just wonderin'

Greg Myers

Looks rather stupid IMO...and what's up w/ the truck in the first pic--no taillights or backup lights? That's got to be illegal..

I would be willing to bet that on that red truck there is a strip of LED's almost the width of the tailgate hidden in plain sight. As far as backup lights, most places they are optional. You are not legally required to have them.

I know I'm a nasty picky SOB, but the green one coulda used some of that goofy tag-recess effort directed into panel fit and symmetry, matching the curves at the lower corners of the deck with the quarter panels, smoothing out the lumpy bodywork in the rear fascia, continuing the in-curved line across the fascia between the lights, getting the lights actually symmetrical, enlarging the left-side exhaust cutout to fit the tip, and maybe making another exhaust tip to fill the right-side cutout. Just sayin'.

Kinda might want to get the basics of decent-quality craftsmanship down before going off on some "custom" tangent.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

31539f6044dcec2cd193d38e3b3ab4cd.jpgHPIM0177.jpg

thats not news its been going on since the late 80s

I can picture some nasty cop ticketing them for improper display of license plate...

Non ticketable offence. aside from upside down nothing in the laws that say anything about a license plate orientation.

Yeah, that's just silly, isn't it? Who would purposely cant something that's normally perfectly level... :rolleyes:

Jerry-sahagon-chevrolet-canted-headlight

The AARP membership cards must've been late arriving in the mail in the greater metro Phoenix are this month. People are gettin' grumpy. :lol:

Greg,you brought this on yourself. Before you hastily reply with a picture or stating your rights how about you think about why this happened. You wanted NEEDED to find some drama,sadly none was present in our nice little community. What now? Why not make a big ole heaping batch of it. Where shall we start, let me pull out "How to create forum drama" by Greg Myers. Step one: disrupt a calm day with a highly arguable thread or find a perfectly fine one and crash it. Step two: Pull out a bag of your opinions and shove approximately a metric cr@pton down anyone's throat that see's it as something other than a threat to life. Step three: Place thread in oven for 5-7 hours (No way that thread will last for more than 12!) and wait for it to be locked. Step Four: Rinse repeat.

Board Rules and Guidelines

• Behavior which is continually disruptive to the general membership of the forum-Oh my Greg how many threads have you destroyed seeking attention on a regular basis.The rocket bunny thread, the mini truck thread,the F1 thread, this one probably, or anything outside of your comfort zone.

• Belittling someone because their beliefs are different than your own-I'm sure that you've managed to aggravate every guy/gal that likes imports,low riders,mini trucks,donks, or anything that isn't RAW 'MERICAN MUSCLE with eight enraged cylinders of fury.

Well Hot Dawg! Sure am glad I have my FREEDOM OF SPEECH!

oh_merica0003-vi.jpg

Geez Austin...lighten up. Voicing an opinion that something looks stupid isn't, in my own humble opinion, "continually disruptive to the general membership" of the forum. It's simply voicing an opinion.

I think these wonky tag inserts look dorky too, and there IS such a concept in the world as "good design". This isn't it.

Good design is NOT entirely subjective (as in what you like, which is personal TASTE, not necessarily GOOD DESIGN), but encompasses things like proportion, line, surface development, an overall theme, the much used "flow", etc. etc.

It's entirely OK in America still, I believe, to like something someone else thinks looks stupid, and it's entirely OK to say you like it, you dislike it, or you think it looks stupid.

I don't think Greg is trying to be disruptive. Maybe he's just wondering, like me, why "good design" and "function" seem to be becoming not-part-of-the-equation.

PS. I personally LIKE Asian tuner cars, hot Euro imports, mini-trucks, lowriders AND "raw 'merican muscle". You can have donks, but you know, that's OK too.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

It's entirely OK in America still, I believe, to like something someone else thinks looks stupid, and it's entirely OK to say you like it, you dislike it, or you think it looks stupid.

Amen.

The day we're not allowed to express our opinions here is the day this forum shuts down.

The AARP membership cards must've been late arriving in the mail in the greater metro Phoenix are this month. People are gettin' grumpy. :lol:

No kidding. Maybe they need more fiber in their diet. :lol:

Greg how many threads have you destroyed seeking attention on a regular basis.The rocket bunny thread, the mini truck thread,the F1 thread, this one probably, or anything outside of your comfort zone.

I've got to agree with Austin here. There's been a pattern to Greg's borderline trolling posts in the past few weeks-- it's not just a one-time thing. If you want to discuss something or legitimately ask a question in an attempt to honestly understand a fellow member's line of thinking, fine, let's discuss it, but posting a "question" which you don't really want answered and only post tell everyone how much you dislike something or to incite drama isn't something this forum was created for.

I don't think Greg is trying to be disruptive. Maybe he's just wondering, like me, why "good design" and "function" seem to be becoming not-part-of-the-equation.

Then he should be willing to accept and understand the answers people take the time to provide. He doesn't even have to agree with any of the answers, but continuing to ignore people's honest responses, then repeating the question multiple times comes off as trolling to some, myself included. A discussion requires at least two people to participate, exchange ideas and thoughts, and listen to what the other participants have to sat. When one person is only talking and not doing any listening, there can be no understanding, and it ceases to be a discussion.

Looks rather stupid IMO...and what's up w/ the truck in the first pic--no taillights or backup lights? That's got to be illegal..

See the crease near the top of the tailgate...that's a light bar that only shows up when the lights are on. my stock and third brake lights are shaved. I currently have the same light setup between my tailgate and rollpan waiting until I get my new roll pan with Skyline lights mounted to the truck. Is it illegal?...no, not in my state and I trailer it when I go out of state. But of coarse, I have learned that the legal interpretation of MOST law enforcement agents is that beauty is in the eye of the beholder. As far as my license plate is concerned, it's currently in the stock roll pan. But I plan on moving it to the back window for a while...which is also legal in my state.

Oh yeah BTW, this light you see in the picture, and that I have, is called a "line of fire". It's the same light strip you see between the tailgate and bumper of a lot of full size four wheel drives now. The whole thing lights up as brake lights and each individual half can flash as signal lights. They also function as park lights as well at night.

What's up with all the mini truck and lowrider bashing anyway? If I didn't know better, I'd swear a couple people were trying to drive some of us off. (Yes, Gary isn't the only one. And I am not afraid to call it out publicly so everyone can see. User Platerpants has been known to bash mini/sport trucks as well.)

Austin was right on the money and Casey is correct in seeing this POV on the matter. Greg is trolling talking trash about all us that drive modern custom vehicles. Sorry we can't all go buy the latest Ferrari or afford a new classic muscle car whenever we take a notion. If you don't like our vehicles, keep your narrow minded opinion to yourself. I don't like four wheel drives or Fords myself. But I can sure as heck respect someone that put their hard earned money into something they love.

Greg, don't HIDE behind the constitution and pull the same stunt again. Politics aren't allowed here. A gentleman I knew until he passed away a few years ago told me the truest thing I have ever heard. "Your freedom and liberties end at my nose." I won't tell you to build a mini truck and you don't tell me what I can build. I hate drama but, I sure ain't gonna stand here as a member of this forum where mini truck scale and 1:1 modelers hangout and let someone dance around talking trash about us because they don't have the guts to do REAL research and find out what really goes into what we do. (Or someone that won't get in a mini trucker's face and just come right out and say what they mean.)

Mods, sorry I'm going off in one of these trolling flame threads. I respect all of you. Heck, I would have quit building a year of so if it hadn't been for Harry and Gregg. (Notice the Gregg with three G's.) But, something has to be done. If it's going to be allowed to continue, then you might has well search all the threads started about mini/sport trucks and sport compact cars and ban all of us that start them or comment positively on them block our IPs and delete our accounts permanently. Leave the forum to those narrow minded people who discriminate against any other style than their own.

I want to conclude my rant by telling anyone who just doesn't get the whole mini truck culture but, doesn't put it down a great big thank you. We all aren't going to agree with everything. Different strokes for different strokes. It's what makes the world go round and it is why every single one of us is not doing the same exact job, eating the same exact food, and driving the exact same vehicle. So, saying you think it is silly or not your style or something little out of the way when presented with the material isn't offensive. But when someone intentionally brings the subject matter up so they can have an excuse to put it down is completely uncalled for. Threads like this and people who look at a thread with a lowered truck kit build thread just to say 'thats not a real truck, real trucks are up in the air' are what I am talking about. (Noticed I used single quotation marks as I am paraphrasing. Imagine that, I, a mini trucker, actually know how to do that.)

Edited by Skydime