Model Cars Magazine Forum

A pair of 66 Novas- small update for now on the wagon

microwheel

Morning Guys and thanks for the kind comments. I finally got Pop's Toy finished and it's going Under-Glass today. I'll get back to work on Mom's Toy (66 wagon) in a few days. I may start a new thread for the wagon to make it easier to follow along since this thread was so large.

DSCF6045-vi.jpg

Jim - this may be a dumb question, but what do you use for glue/final assembly, and what is your process after you detail paint? 

Hi topher, no such thing as a dumb question. But Im just not really sure what your asking. I'll try to answer as best I can though. For finally assembly, it depends on the kit and how much I modified it. I use a wide range of glues from regular testors or tamiya model cement, or two part 5 minute epoxy, or even Catalyst type super glues. The second part of your question is a little confusing to me. If your asking what process I use to do detail painting, well that I can answer. I usually start painting a part with a base color, and then pick the detail out with several other colors depending on the level of detail Im after. I usually use a combination of a super fine brush and if need be, even the tip of a tooth pick dipped in paint, whatever allows the detail to stand out from the part's bass color. I do all my detail painting as I build, painting  and picking the detail out for each part before it is assembled to it's final location, unless it is something that can be done without other parts getting in the way. Then a part may get assembled into it's location and then detail painted. But that is very seldom. But that is just what works for me, each builder usually finds a method that works best for them. It just take time, as well as trial and error.

Sorry - as soon as I posted that I knew I should have been more specific.  :)

Let's take your interior tub for example.

Masking: you painted everything without masking, even the carpet flocking.  Do you clean the glue seam or do you use a special glue that doesn't react to the paint?

If you clean the seam (which I assume you do), how do you glue it so that there is no glue seepage?  No matter how large the seam and how little glue I use, I ALWAYS get oozing and seepage.  Do you just clean off the seepage afterward as well?

Hope this helps understand my question better.  Should have posted THIS one to begin with! B)

• 3 months later...

Morning Guys, it's been a long time since Ive had time to come on the site and do any updates. As you can tell by the date of my last post on here. Have had a lot of personal issues going on since mid summer.  I have been tinkering with the Nova wagon the past couple weeks but haven't had time to take a lot of detailed progress pics along the way.  I hope to have a few pics of where things are with it so far in the next few days. I will tell ya that at one point a few weeks ago, I was in the process of working on the glass for the wagon, and dumb me, dropped the body and cracked it. I did get it repaired, but ended up having to repaint it.  I ended up changing the color in the end, but had to order some more clear coat. I'm still waiting for it to arrive so I can get the paint job finished.  once I do post some pics, there wont be a lot of detailed "how I did it" type pics, but I will try my best to describe the work that was done along the way.

evening guys, I hope to have a serious update for you on this one soon. Just as a reminder, here is what mom's toy (66 wagon) looked like before it slipped out of my hands onto the floor and cracked.

DSCF5253

And here it is after repairing the body and repainting it with a color change. It's still waiting for the clear coat.  hope to have the clear coat on it in a few days, and if all goes well, wet sanded and polished out within a week. I do have more work on the wagon chassis and detail to share with you all and hope to post in a day or so. I don't think I'll be chroming the side molding this time around though.

DSCF6105

DSCF6106

here is a pic of the look I'm after for the wagon, though the color will be different. and no side molding chrome strip this time.

66_Chevrolet_Nova_wagon

Stay tuned.. more to come.

Evening guys.. I think i'm gonna start a new thread for the rest of the Mom's Toy (66 wagon build). It wont be as long as this one and some of the work done on the 66 wagon in this thread will remain over here in this one.  I've done a lot of work on the wagon, but didnt take the time to take follow along type pics. So the new thread will basically be a abbreviated summery of where the build is at so far. I will try to get back into creating detailed threads in the next few builds. I used alot of the same processes on the wagon build that I did for the 66 SS (pops toy) build. So watch for the start of the new thread for the 66 nova wagon later on this evening.