Model Cars Magazine Forum

A pair of 66 Novas- small update for now on the wagon

microwheel

Thanks alot for all the encouragement everyone.Got a little time on the work bench this evening, but did't get as much time as I would have liked. My plan was to try and get as far with the Nova SS 327 engine as I did with the stroker engine for the wagon. Well I didn't get quite that far, but I made some progress toward it anyways.

May take a couple posts to get all the pics in, so bare with me.

I started by assembling the block and tranny and getting it seam sanded and prepped it for detailing and paint. I removed the molded on fuel pump and dug a better one out of my parts bin. I also removed the molded on linkage from the tranny (since I'm planing to add photo-etched linkage to it).I also plan to give the Nova SS a engine dress up, while keeping ot basicly stock, by adding aftermarket pulleys and a upgraded carb system, I also will not be using the kit supplied alt and starter. I dug a better detailed alt out of the parts bin and added scratch made brackets to it. I also dug a power steering pump out of the parts bin and prepped it for a aftermarket pully.

In the first pic below you can see the basic parts and pieces mocked up.

DSCF5669-vi.jpg

In the pic below you can see where I removed the molded on fuel pump.

DSCF5667-vi.jpg

And in the pic below you can see where I removed most of the molded on linkage rods for the tranny.

DSCF5668-vi.jpg

In the pic below is the power sterring pump, Alt, and fuel pump mocked up. The pulleys will be removed for painting.

DSCF5670-vi.jpg

Next I started work on detailing the carb. I added linkage, a choke plate for the front two barrels, and added some drilled out round rod for the rear two barrels, then drilled out the holes for later adding the fuel and vacuum lines. I'll finish up the carb detail later on.

DSCF5682-vi.jpg

Continued in the following post............

Check the previous page for the first post in tonights update.

Next the pulleys were removed from all the parts and everything except the carb got detail painted.

DSCF5671-vi.jpg

Once the paint dried on everything, it was all assembled and then the stock kit valve covers were added. I mocked the carb up in place to give you a idea of how it will look.

DSCF5673-vi.jpg

There is still lots more to assemble and detail with it, but the next few pics should give you an ideal of how it will look.

DSCF5677-vi.jpg

DSCF5674-vi.jpg

Here are the two Nova's engines side by side in different stages of completion.

DSCF5678-vi.jpg

DSCF5680-vi.jpg

More to come as I get things done. Thanks for checking out my builds and as always.. comments and suggestions are always welcome.

Edited by microwheel

Jim, the work on that carb is killer! I keep saying I'm gonna add linkage to one of mine, but just haven't pulled the trigger yet. Seeing yours makes me want to just have you do it for me...I don't think I'm ever gonna get mine to look that good!

Lookin' snazzy Jim!!!

Thanks Joe buddy

Jim, the work on that carb is killer! I keep saying I'm gonna add linkage to one of mine, but just haven't pulled the trigger yet. Seeing yours makes me want to just have you do it for me...I don't think I'm ever gonna get mine to look that good!

Thanks for the kind words Mike. I'm sure you could detail a carb every bit as well as I do. Tt took me a little time and patience is all.

Small update for tonight guys. Been a busy weekend and a warm one to.

I got the Nova SS (Pop's Toy) engine about to the same point as far as detail and assembly as I did the wagon engine. Now that both engines are at a point where I can finally do the final detailing work on them, I hope to have them both done in the next few day. I'll explain my concept for removable air cleaners when I make the next post on the final detail work for the engines. For now here is a few pics on both engines progress.

DSCF5694-vi.jpg

DSCF5690-vi.jpg

Both engines with air cleaners just setting in place.

DSCF5689-vi.jpg

Getting things ready for the engines final detailing.

DSCF5695-vi.jpg

I'll have more to post in a couple days.........

I finished up the first of the two motors today. It's the Nova SS 327 for Pop's Toy.

In order to make the breathers removable, I had to scratch make something that would allow the breathers to sit on the carbs correctly and level as well as make it so they could be removed for display.

To do this I used some evergreen large tube about the same diameter as the carb tops. I trimmed off the atachment tub from the kit supplied breather and scraped away the chrome from the area I needed to glue the ring I made from the large tube.

DSCF5698-vi.jpg

DSCF5699-vi.jpg

I applied a little bit of regular model cement to the area I wanted the ring to sit, this allowed me to have a little bit of time before the glue dried to position the ring in the breather so it would sit correctly and level on top of the carb.

DSCF5700-vi.jpg

Next I prepped the distributor cap and plug wires with wire lumes and boots and glued the cap to the distributor base.

DSCF5697-vi.jpg

I then made a set of heater hoses from scale heater hose material from the Model Car Garage. I later added vintage hose clamps.

DSCF5705-vi.jpg

Once the plug wires were run in thier proper firing order and the heater hoses were atached, I made and installed a starter wire, and attached the fan belts and fan as well as the tranny lingage.

DSCF5709-vi.jpg

A few pics of the finished Nova SS 327 engine in the following post

here are a few pics of the 327 finished motor.. Next up is to finish the Stroker engine for the wagon..

DSCF5706-vi.jpg

DSCF5710-vi.jpg

DSCF5719-vi.jpg

DSCF5718-vi.jpg

DSCF5711-vi.jpg

One engine complete, still need to drill out the ends of the breather tubes. Next it's on to complete the wagon engine

DSCF5713-vi.jpg

More as I get it done.,

Edited by microwheel

SUPER looking motors!

I have been pondering about whether to thin the edges of fan blades on my future engine builds...

opinions?

Thanks Mike.

As far as thining down the fan blades, no need to really, unless your working on a really old kit that came with a super thick fan. Most kits fans are thin enough that once sitting in front of the raidiator, you don't really notice them. But if you really worry about apperence with the fan, there are some really nice and cheap aftermarket ones out there. Check out Model Gar Garage's web site, they have a few, as does detail master.

Morning everyone, got the Nova Wagon 383 stroker engine done today. I added a red MAD distributor with yellow wires. Made the plug wire boots out of pieces of red heater hose. Added heater hoses with vintage photo-etched hose clamps from the Model Car Garage and a starter wire. Installed the fan belts and fan, and aplied Slixx oil filter decals on both engines.

Here are a few pics of the completed wagon engine.

DSCF5732-vi.jpg

DSCF5736-vi.jpg

The filter for the air breather was made by cutting a piece of white printer paper and wrapping it around the breather, then a piece of red mesh frabric that I found at hobby lobby was cut and gluded over the paper. I thing it worked out pretty good myself.

DSCF5745-vi.jpg

The air breather it'self is a aftermarket supplied one I bought at the Local hobby store. I beleave it was made by Scale Repro's PLus. I know when I bought it, I bought 3 or 4 of them just to have on hand.

DSCF5746-vi.jpg

I did make the are breather removable on both engines for display purposes.

DSCF5748-vi.jpg

And finally here is a pic of both completed engines.

DSCF5752-vi.jpg

Next task will be to start working on the chassis and suspension for both Nova's

I'll post more as I start working on them.

Thanks for looking guys and as always, comments and sugjestions are welcome.

Outstanding work, Jim! You are motivating me to want to make some progress on mine. I primed the main parts last night and will hopefully get some engine color down tonight.

Where did you get the pulleys and belt from? Are they pretty universal? I love the realism they bring and are a MUST HAVE on my current build. Thanks!

Tim

Outstanding work, Jim! You are motivating me to want to make some progress on mine. I primed the main parts last night and will hopefully get some engine color down tonight.

Where did you get the pulleys and belt from? Are they pretty universal? I love the realism they bring and are a MUST HAVE on my current build. Thanks!

Tim

I order them from a couple different aftermarket sites Tim. Sometimes I use the Model Car Garage pulleys, and sometimes I use the Parts By Parks ones. Either work with just a little modifying and planing out for fit, on almost any model.

Great job Jim!!!! sSig_youtheman_zpsb3e30900.gif

Thanks alot Joe my friend. Hope to get a little work started on the chassis before the wife hauls me off camping this coming weekend lol.

Very detailed work. Thank you sharing some of your tips. Have fun camping this weekend. I know I will. It will be our first trip out this season, it was a rough winter.

Thank you kindly Kris. We sure will. We camp over near Gaylord. I know what you mean about a rough winter. By the way you distributors really worked out nice on these builds. I'll be ordering more of them in the future, as well as some of your other stuff.

Thanks alot Joe my friend. Hope to get a little work started on the chassis before the wife hauls me off camping this coming weekend lol.

LOL ! I'm going to Sugurland this weekend with my son for his hockey tournament so I'm trying to cram all I can in too!! lol

Edited by mustang1989

LOL ! I'm going to Sugurland this weekend with my son for his hockey tournament so I'm trying to cram all I can in too!! lol

I'm headed to California for a week next week, then Texas for a week after that. I will be having modeling withdrawals!

Joe - I'll be in Corpus for a couple days starting on the 5th of June. Maybe we could meet up real quick?

Tim