Model Cars Magazine Forum

A pair of 66 Novas- small update for now on the wagon

microwheel

Evening guys, and thanks for the comment Tim. Wet sanding and polishing is my least favorite part of modeling, but a nessasary evil I guess. That's why the updates are slow in coming. I used a combination of Tamiya Dark Mica Blue lacquer for the base coat with a single coat of Tamiya acrylic blue to tone down the metal flake in the mica blue, and then several coats of clear over that. The problem is, after painting everything, I elected to go with a stock hood instend of the aftermarket hood I had originally painted with the body, and Im having a hard time getting the color shaded correctly on the new hood. It either turns out too dark compared to the body, or too light. I've had to strip it down and repaint it 3 times already, and am now on the 4th try. Until I get this dang hood right, my brain is stuck on it and wont let me move on to other parts of the build lol. Anyone else have that happen to them? You know, like, when your brain get's stubornly stuck on fixing and issue and holds up the hole build because of it lmao.

I hear you there Jim. I had a stone woods and cook Willy's once, and the paint on the body turned out so good by the time I got to the doors I couldn't get them to match the body. I was so bummed and had to start over. It just was never the same again.

Jim - basecoat/clearcoat are definitely the best risk reward of the build. If the paint doesn't turn out the way you want it to, it seems like everything else is all for nothing. I'm so picky about paint and finish though, but each one of them is different and no two paint jobs is easier than the previous one.

Good luck on your hood. I had that problem a while back with a hood on my Shelby Mustang.

Tim

I hear you there Jim. I had a stone woods and cook Willy's once, and the paint on the body turned out so good by the time I got to the doors I couldn't get them to match the body. I was so bummed and had to start over. It just was never the same again.

Jim - basecoat/clearcoat are definitely the best risk reward of the build. If the paint doesn't turn out the way you want it to, it seems like everything else is all for nothing. I'm so picky about paint and finish though, but each one of them is different and no two paint jobs is easier than the previous one.

Good luck on your hood. I had that problem a while back with a hood on my Shelby Mustang.

Tim

I hear ya guys, believe me, I have ran across this issue before, and it takes some work to get em close. I spent a lot of redo's on it, but think I got it about as close as I can

I know I haven't posted much on these builds, but I have been plugging away at em. So tonight I thought I would post what I've done so far. I'm still waiting for a order to come in with a few more aftermarket things for them , but hopefully that will be here in a few days. Tonights updates will take a couple of posts from me, so be patient while I get everything up. Im a slow typer and a bad speller so it takes me a little while to get my posts written yup. Check back a few times till you see the past of my posts if your interested.

To start with, I got both chassis painted. I primered both chassis and then gave them a overspray look with each cars respective colors. The gas tanks were painted metalizer stainless steel and the front sub-frames were painted Tamiya semi-gloss black. Later on both chassis will get detailed out with their respective front and rear suspensions and fine detail such as brake and fuel lines. But at least I got the base paint work done on them. I still may do a slight wash to bring out more of the molded on detail. You'll get the idea as I get em done.

DSCF5276-vi.jpg

Edited by microwheel

Next up I started work on the interior for mom's toy, (the wagon). It will be done in GM Nassau Blue Metallic.

The seats were painted and then the vinyl areas masked off and then the centers of both seats were over coated with model masters lusterless flat dull coat. When that was dry, the center buttons were given the BMF treatment. Sorry if a few of the pics are kinda crappy.

DSCF5257-vi.jpg

DSCF5258-vi.jpg

DSCF5259-vi.jpg

Next up the interior tub was pimered in tamiya fine white primer and then color coated. The detail level on the interior tub is kinda thin so I intend to inhance it with scratch made arm rests and aftermarket door handles and window cranks (when that order comes in)

I BMF foiled what detail I could on the interior tub in the mean time.

In the pics below you can see how thin the detail level is. But It's still a great job by bandit resins to include the tub and seats for the conversion body. I'm sure better modelers than me could work magic with detailing it as it is.

DSCF5263-vi.jpg

DSCF5267-vi.jpg

Next up using flat blue paint and medium blue embossing powder purchased at Hobby Lobby, I brushed a coating of the flat blue on the floor area and while it was still wet I coated it with a dusting of the emossing powder.

DSCF5269-vi.jpg

Edited by microwheel

Next up I made some seat belts out of photo etched seat belt hardware and aftermarket seat belt material from The Model Car Garage, and set them aside for later. ( I got to order some more seat belt hardware to do pop's toy with since I used most of what I had on hand for this one).

DSCF5279-vi.jpg

Next, since I didn't need the interior side panels from the doner kit for the wagon, I cut them up to scavenge the arm rests from them, to add better ones to the Bandit Resins supplied interior tub. It took alot of careful cutting and sanding but I got what I needed out of them. Then they were primed, painted and BMF foiled and set aside.

DSCF5273-vi.jpg

Edited by microwheel

You know, like, when your brain get's stubornly stuck on fixing and issue and holds up the hole build because of it lmao.

Man, you sound just like me! I get obsessed with getting one thing just right and the whole build comes to a screeching halt...and many times it's been just what you're doing, trying to match a hood to the body! Good luck with it, that wagon looks awesome, the hood just has to give in! Great work on both of these, I'm waiting for the engines to get built!

Next up was to start the interior assembly...

I started by attaching seat belts to the rear seat and cementing the rear seat to the interior tub . I then added the rear arm rests and photo etched ashtrays to the armrests which are supplied with the 66 nova detail set from the Model Car Garage.

DSCF5280-vi.jpg

Next I added seat belts to the front seat and cemented the front seat in place. I then add the front arm rests.

DSCF5292-vi.jpg

I will be adding the door handles and window cranks when they get here. I still have the dash to work on and I also need to make a rear tailgate interior panel. I'll be doing that in the coming days. But this is pretty much where Im at for now. Once I get the wagon interior done, I'll be working on Pop's Toy interior

DSCF5286-vi.jpg

DSCF5295-vi.jpg

More to come as I get it done guys.. Thanks for checking it out so far. Comments are always welcome.

Edited by microwheel

Man, you sound just like me! I get obsessed with getting one thing just right and the whole build comes to a screeching halt...and many times it's been just what you're doing, trying to match a hood to the body! Good luck with it, that wagon looks awesome, the hood just has to give in! Great work on both of these, I'm waiting for the engines to get built!

Thanks, the engines will get started on soon I hope.. I usually do them and the chassis detail around the same time so I can check fitment as I add detail.

Thanks Guys.

I spent some time last night and today working on tne wagon's dash. I started by drilling out a hole for the key switch and then using BMF on all the knobs and heater contols before any paint was applied. I then sprayed the lighter color on the entire dash. Once that dried I masked off the areas I wanted lighter color, and spayed the rest with model master blue angel blue. Once that was dry I added BMF to the radio area, and then gave it a wash of Tamiya acrylic flat aluminum. And I then used a tooth pic dipped in lacquer thinner and cleaned the paint off the knobs and heater contolos that I had applied BMF to earlier. I then gave the heater contol area a light black wash. Once that was done, I painted the instrument area and glovebox flat black. I then applied aftermarket Photo reduced guage faces to the radio and instrument panel area. Photo etched parts where then added to the glovebox and ignition key area as well as photo etched Nova II script to the glove box. I left the foot pedals unfinished for now until I have what type of tranny worked out for the car. Those will get done before the dash is installed in the interior.

DSCF5298-vi.jpg

Next up I removed the photo etched Keys and key chain from the nova detail kit from The Model Car Garage, and detail painted and assembled them.

DSCF5296-vi.jpg

The Keys were then tacked into place on the dash with a tiny drop of CA glue.

DSCF5306-vi.jpg

DSCF5314-vi.jpg

That's pretty much where I'm at with it for now. Parts order should be here later today, so my hope is later tonight to be able to get more done on the interior detail. Once I start working on Pop's Toy (the 66 SS) I will try to take better detailed pics of how I do my dash in progress.

more to come as I get it done.

Wow! Where do you get your guage faces and do they make them for most cars?

Hi Fred, I get them from this guy on ebay.. http://www.ebay.com/usr/bestmodelcarparts?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2754 if he doesn't list what you are looking for on his ebay items, message him through his ebay contact, and ask him about it, he made some for me once that he didnt list. He can make photo reduced gauges for almost anything. Just remember they aren't decals they are photo reduced so ya got to cut them out with your trusty exacto knife and white glue them into place. But they are nice that's for sure.

Jim - As usual... leading the way for the rest of us to follow. Nice work!

Tim

Thanks Tim, I only wish it would go a little easier, but then what ever goes easy in the modeling hobby lol.

Man I have been asleep at the wheel here....icon_sleep_1.gif!!!! I just found this but will be back flipping through the four pages here to see all that you've done. Those dashes look great and am totally lovin' the keys dude!!!

Hi and thanks Joe, this one is gonna be a long one that's for sure, especially building two at once.

Jim, that dash is beautiful! I tried the photoetched keys once....ONCE!!!! I will never do that again, they drove me insane, I kept loosing them and finally just gave up and let the carpet have 'em!

Thanks Mike, I know what ya mean, I lost my share of them when I first started messing with them, but then I figured out if I use a box lid with sides on it while I'm messing with these small photo etched parts, I tend to loose less of them. Thanks and I had to learn to have lots and lots of patience.. lmao.. something that took some getting used to for me.

Morning guys, finally got my parts order in yesterday. It took the scenic route from Florida up the east coast and then over here to Michigan. So I guess these builds will already have some milage on them lol.

One of the things I was waiting on was a set of white metal interior door handles and window cranks made by Pro Tech. I needed these to help finish up the interior of the wagon.

DSCF5319-vi.jpg

Because of how small they are, I didn't want to try to polish them up, so I elected to just try and cover them with BMF which worked out ok. I just had to clean the parts in Denatured Alcohol first to make sure the BMF work stick to them, which it did.

DSCF5321-vi.jpg

DSCF5323-vi.jpg

Once I got all the handles and cranks covered with BMF I set them aside and went to work making a rear interior tailgate panel for the interior. It's about the only draw back to the resin interior provided by Bandit Resins. But it wasn't much of a problem to make one out of evergreen sheet plastic. It's not perfect but it will do the job

DSCF5328-vi.jpg

The tailgate panel got painted interior color and CA glued into place.

DSCF5330-vi.jpg

continued in post that follows..................

The door handles and cranks got attached in place with CA glue. And then the dash was mocked up to see how everything was going to look.

DSCF5342-vi.jpg

DSCF5343-vi.jpg

DSCF5341-vi.jpg

DSCF5333-vi.jpg

DSCF5339-vi.jpg

I still got a few odds and ends left to do to the interior, such as a collapse panel behind the rear seat and the steering wheel, before I can call it done, and then make a decission about the foot pedals,depending on the tranny it gets, but it's almost there and I need to move on and work on a few other things before the finishing touches are done to the interior.

More to come as I get it done..

Thanks for looking

Edited by microwheel

After doing a mockup of the ross gibson 350TPI roadent engine that I was thinking about using for Mom's Toy, this morning, I compared it to the BNL chevy 383 stroker engine, Both are supposed to be small blocks, but as you can see there is a big difference in size between the two. I'm starting to think the Ross engine is more along the scale of 1/24th. It would just look too oversized for the wagon, so as of now the plan is to give Mamma's wagon the stroker engine. It'll work out fine with a few mods. The engine mounts will need a little adjusting since after a test fit of the block on the chassis reveals that the mounts may need extending a tad bit. But it also comes with a nice automatic trans and that fits right into my plan. I'll have more pics after the weekend, once I get started on assembling the engine and planning out the detail for it.

DSCF5344-vi.jpg

The Ross Engine would look too much like a big block in the Nova Wagon im my opinion

DSCF5345-vi.jpg

If you look at how the heads sit on the Ross 350 engine and compared to where the heads sit on the 383 Stroker engine, you can see the difference in length, and as far as I know, Chevy didn't change much in the demensions of the different models of small blocks , most of the difference was in the bore.

Anyways that's my story and Im sticking to it lol.

More updates after the weekend. (I Hope)

Edited by microwheel