Model Cars Magazine Forum

A pair of 66 Novas- small update for now on the wagon

microwheel

Yep. Another engine that hits all the sweet spots.

I know the carb is an after market item, but it kinda looks like a 1/16 scale to me! You have detailed it magnificently Jim :)

Edited by Stray

Jim - would you mind posting your flocking method/technique? Thanks!

Tim

Howdy Tim, as soon as I get some extra time I will do that for you.

I like all the little details you put into that motor Jim!! Those pulleys and carburetor are da bomb!!!

Thanks alot Joe

beautiful details!

Thanks Mike

Yep. Another engine that hits all the sweet spots.

I know the carb is an after market item, but it kinda looks like a 1/16 scale to me! You have detailed it magnificently Jim :)

Thanks Stray, It really is 1/25th scale. you have to remember the engine it'self is only a small block 283, so a big Holley 750 4 barrel is gonna seem a little big on it. But mamma wants some extra get up and go in her wagon lol.

Morning Guys. Worked some more on the wagon engine over the weekend. Started getting some of the detail work done. Still got more to do, but I got alot of the harder stuff done. Mostly just plug wiring, the cooling system plumbing, and a few little odds and ends left to finish up on the engine at this point. My plan is to start working on the SS 327 engine for the Nova SS today so I can get them both to the same point and then finish them up together, then I can move on to the chassis and suspension for both builds.

Today's updates will take a couple of posts to get them all in, so bare with me and keep checking back, if your interested, untill I get everything posted.

I started with getting the carb detailed. Using a combination of photo-etched parts from The Model Car Garage and Detail Master, and fuel line from Lex's Scale Modeling.

DSCF5629-vi.jpg

The first thing I did was add the linkage and a vacum advance line to the carb.

DSCF5618-vi.jpg

Next I made the double feed fuel line by combining a Pro-Tech Tee Fitting, some Plastruct .040 hex rod that was cut to size and drilled out for the fittings, and a piece of the Fuel line from Lex's Scale Modeling.

DSCF5621-vi.jpg

The fuel line assembly was detail painted and attached to the carb.

DSCF5626-vi.jpg

Next I cut a couple of pieces of the fuel line material, and flattened them on one end to combine with a couple of the Model Car Garage photo-etched linkage pieces to make the accelerator and passing gear linkage rods.

DSCF5628-vi.jpg

Once these were made, they were set aside to be added to the carb later.

DSCF5633-vi.jpg

More in the following post.......

Edited by microwheel

Next I made a accelerator return spring by stripping the insulatiion back from a piece of scale plug wire and wrapping it around a straight pin. It was then cut away and shaped and then set aside to be added to the carb later.

DSCF5634-vi.jpg

Next up I wanted to make the tranny and oil dipsticks.

I started by gathering up a few materials and tools to make them.

I cut a couple of pieces of large scale craft wire. And then a piece of scale heater hose to use as the stick stops. I also used some of the Lex's scale fuel line, flattened and bent into shape as the pull tops.

DSCF5642-vi.jpg

Once I had them made and shaped, they were detail painted and set aside to be added to the engine later.

DSCF5644-vi.jpg

Next I wanted my distributor to have a vacuum advance, so I found a old kit distributor with a vacuum advance for the doner, in my parts bin. I drilled it out for the vacuum line and added it to the base of a MAD distributor. I then painted the base and set it aside to be added to the engine later. The cap and wires from the MAD kit, I used the base from, wont be used, I have a red cap with yellow wires on order that will be used once the order comes in, but the base at least can be used since they are the same in all the MAD distributor kits. This was set aside to be added to the engine later.

DSCF5635-vi.jpg

Next I drilled out for a coil wire and painted the Nova kit supplied coil flat black (the body will get painted red later since I want the body red and the top black), and covered the coil bracket with bare metal foil. I later painted the body between the bracket and top red, (forgot to take a pic of it at that point. Sorry) and set it aside to be added to the engine later.

DSCF5641-vi.jpg

Once all these parts were made, and detailed I installed them on the engine. Pics of the parts installed on the engine in the following post.

Edited by microwheel

Linkage Rods, coil, oil dipstick and spring detail painted and intalled.

DSCF5646-vi.jpg

Fuel line from the Tee fitting to the Fuel pump made and attached with a scratch made fuel filter.

DSCF5648-vi.jpg

Tranny dip stick and the distributor base with vacuum advance installed.

DSCF5651-vi.jpg

DSCF5657-vi.jpg

DSCF5659-vi.jpg

DSCF5656-vi.jpg

That's pretty much where I am up to date at the moment. I'll post more as I get it done. Thanks for looking and comments and suggestions are always welcome.

WOW, I have just seen this build up for the first time, and am very impressed with the level of detail

you are putting into both of these builds, i now can't wait until the next installment,

some superb model skills mate.