Model Cars Magazine Forum

A pair of 66 Novas- small update for now on the wagon

microwheel

Really nice step-by-steps Jim. Thanks for posting it and taking the effort.

Like everyone else has said, your interiors are on point as always! Inspiration.

Thanks alot Stray, If I can help someone else the way so many have helped me over the years, then it's worth it.

Wow, the level of detail and quality of your builds never ceases to amaze me.

Beautiful work on both of these cars.

Thnaks Jonathan

great how too for the rubbing acuhol do you use a qtip to clean the parts or what?

I only use the rubbing alcohol to wipe the parts down before I apply the BMF to them. To do that, I just us a clean rag and soak it with a little of the rubbing alcohol. To clean the paint off the chrome after the parts are painted, I use a tooth pic dipped in denatured alcohol.

Looking good buddy.... keep it coming....

Thanks Tyrone, I sure will.

Great tutorial Jim, I for one loved it! Thanks for all the extra work you put in doing it too!

Thanks Mike, I just hope the next phase of these builds turn out as well.. The chassis. I'm now in the planning stages for both of them.

What? Did you have a day off Jim? Don't tell me there's no progress!

LOL Stray, yuppers the wife wanted me to spend a little time with her yesterday. And today I have to de-winterize my motorhome and get my MG-midget ready for spring and summer driving. I did play around with mockup work for the Nova wagon's engine to chassis this morning, but nothing picture worthy yet. As soon as I have it all figured out I will post some more pics. But I'm still working out fitment of the engine and automatic trans for the wagon, and then I want to also plan out the suspension work for it. So stay tune and be patient (easier said than done if your like me lol). But good things are coming the first of the week.

Ha Jim. Nothing wrong with tending to the ladies wishes. I hope she is doing okay man.

Look forward to seeing more.

Thanks Stray, she's doing fine so far.

Sorry for the lack of updates the past few days guys. I have been working on the Novas. I've just been trying to get the engine for Mom's Toy (wagon) figured out and mocked up. I have my idea for it pretty much worked out. I'm more or less going with my interpretation of a chevy 283 with a Turbo Hydra-matic 350 auto tranny. The engine will have been performance upgraded. To get the look I'm after with it, I used the block, tranny and a few other odds and ends out of the MPC 86 El Camino kit and the stock 4 barrel intake manifold is from the AMT 66 Nova kit. The exhaust manifolds, and valve covers are from the Revell 64 Chevy Pickup Kit. It will get a aftermarket 4 barrel carb and pulleys, as well as a few other things, and then everything will get fully detailed. The reason why it's taking so long for updates was because I need to make everything fit and play nice together so it looks correct.

The idea here is to make the wagon look stock with a sleeper performance drive train. After all, Mamma wants to be able to take the kids to their ball games, and still be able to have a little fun on the weekends.

I was going to use the aftermarket stroker engine I got from BnL resins, but the block was just a little too long for the chassis and when I mocked it up the pulleys and fan would have extended past the radiator core support, and I wasn't in the mood to have to reconfigure the entire engine bay. The block and tranny from the 86 el camino kit lines up great in the engine bay and give's me just enough room for all the detail work I have planned.

here is a few pics for now to show you how it's coming along.

To start with I added a strip of BMF to the top of each valve cover so after they were painted, the chevy engraving could be cleaned off and given a chrome look.

DSCF5594-vi.jpg

Then the valve covers were painted using Tamiya gun metal and the emblems were cleaned off using a tooth pick dipped in denatured alcohol.

DSCF5596-vi.jpg

Sorry I didn't take any progress pics of the basic engine work. But here is a pic of the base engine assembled and painted and some of the parts yet to go on it. The intake mainifold and carb still need to be painted and detailed and are just sitting on it for now to give you a idea of how they will look.

DSCF5598-vi.jpg

DSCF5597-vi.jpg

DSCF5602-vi.jpg

I covered the timing chain cover in Bare Metal Foil before cementing it to the block to give it that chrome look, and the two pulleys attached so far are resin cast aftermarket ones from the BnL Resins stroker engine kit.

DSCF5601-vi.jpg

I'll try to have a few more updates in the next few days. Dad's Toy (Nova SS) engine will be pretty much the 327 engine that came in the Nova kit. It will get detailed as well. I'll start work on it once I get the engine close to being done for the wagon.

Thanks for looking and, as always, comments and suggestions are always welcome.

Edited by microwheel

not only is that a great looking carb, you have it mounted correctly...bravo sir!

going with secondary boost venturi or not gonna waste time on something that won't be seen?

Thanks Mike. I haven't really decided yet about just how much detail I will add to the carb. Depends on weither I decide to make the air cleaner removable or not. Once I start detailing the engine, I'll have a better idea about just how much detail It will get.

Looking fine as Jim. Those the metal pulleys you using again?

Thanks Stray, but no, only the Alt pulley is metal, the other pulleys are resin cast taken from the BNL Resins 383 stroker engine that I was gonna use and decided to go a different way with the engine. But since I decided not to use the stroker engine, I figured I could still use the pulleys and save my other set of metal pulleys for the 327 engine that will be built for Pop's Toy (the Nova SS).

Afternoon guys. I pretty much got the base assembly done and painted for Mom's Toy (the wagon) engine. It's about ready for detailing. I left the exhaust manifolds off for now and the carburetor is not permanently fixed to the intake manifold yet. The reason for that, is so I detail the carb easier, and for the exhaust manifolds, It's too easy to rub the paint off them while handling the engine during detailing.

Here is a few pics for now. I'll post more in a day or so, once I get the detail work done. Then it will be time to work on the 327 engine for Pop's Toy (the Nova SS).

DSCF5613-vi.jpg

I added the resin power steering pump from the BNL Resins Stroker engine kit, and the ALT is one I had in my parts box. I did have to make a lower ALT bracket to stiffen up the mounting of the ALT, that way when the belts are added it won't pull loose.

DSCF5616-vi.jpg

For the fuel pump, I used the one from the mpc 86 el camino kit, and added a little bit of drilled out plastruct hex rod to it for the fittings for the fuel line.

The oil filler is from the 66 Nova kit and was de-chromed up to the the filler cap and painted tamiya gloss aluminum. the crappy tab on the side of it was gently modified with my trusty exacto knife and then a hole drilled in it for a throttle return spring bracket.

DSCF5615-vi.jpg

A aftermarket Scale Repos Plus spun aluminum oil filter was added.

DSCF5614-vi.jpg

A butterfly choke was added to the front venturi area of the carb and venteri's were added to the back area of the carb. The carb itself was painted first with Model Masters Metalizer steel and that was given a shot of dull-coat and then the hole carb was dry brushed with Tamiya acrylic Titan Gold to make it look closer to a natural carb color. The jets area of the carb was given a light black wash. Later the carb will get detail with linkage, throttle spring, vacuum lines and fuel lines.

DSCF5612-vi.jpg

I used a starter out of a 69 camaro kit that I have scavenged for parts over the past few years. (so now it's a parts kit lol) It was detail painted metalizer aluminum plate and buffed out, and then trimmed with tamiya semi-gloss black. And the solenoid body was painted in tamiya titan gold. A hole was drilled in the front of the solenoid for a starter wire to be added later.

DSCF5606-vi.jpg

That's pretty much where I'm at for today. I'll post more after I get the engine detailed in a day or two.

Thanks for Looking and remember comments and suggestions are always welcome.