Model Cars Magazine Forum

All the time and effort, then he blows it.

For the record, Chevrolet introduced the 265 for the 1955 model year while Ford introduced the 239 OHV Y Block for the 1954 automobile model year.

PIC00010vi-vi.jpg

chevynomad19-vi.jpg

I also think that the subject car would look better with even stock small block Chevy script valve covers keeping with the theme of the rest of it.

Chevy with Chevy; Ford with Ford; import engines with import cars.

Then what about the Cobra (Ford engine in a British AC Ace) ?

Back to the '32. I'm not so much offended by the rocker covers (I would run something more period correct, though), but what's the deal with the Barbie doll head on the transmission dipstick? To me, that's just way out of place. Also, to me, the gypsy on the door looks like it would be more at home on the side of a '70s style van.

I was aware that Ford had an OHV V8 in '54, the point was that most Hot Rodders were running the Flathead not the 292 "Y" Block. The Chev' small block appeared in far greater numbers than the Y Block, which really didn't catch on until the 312 TBird came out, even then the Chevy Small Block was far more common.

When it came to OHV V8 power, it was the Mopar Hemi and the Small Block Chevy powering more than their share of Hot Rods. For the most part Ford in a Ford wasn't a popular swap for one reason, engine length, when you hang the water pump and fan on the front of the Ford engine it's length is very tight for the Early Ford engine bay. (Many of the early engine swapping articles bemoan this fact.) Look through any of the "Little Pages" small format magazines of the '50 - '62 time period, the Hot Rods are running 1. Flathead Ford 2. Small Block Chev. 3. Hemi (Chrysler, Plymouth, DeSoto). Race Cars 1. Flathead Ford (in ever decreasing numbers) 2. Hemi. 3. Small block Chevy (Numbers climb as the Cubic Inches increase).

I have been collecting the "Digest" Size, Small Format, "Little Pages" since before it was popular to do so. (I love the smell of a new to me musty magazine to add to my collection). Amassing a collection of around 200 at last count, Rod & Custom, Honk, Custom Rodder, Car Craft... so I'm pretty familiar with what's powering a great number of Hot Rods during that period.

Skip's got it exactly right, and you can't beat the old "little pages" and Hot Rod (which was a full-size mag from the beginning IIRC) for getting the straight dope on how it really was.

Another drawback to running the old Y-block in anything really hot was a lack of a wide range of serious speed equipment. The odd stacked intake-port layout was not the best possible configuration, either.

A-Stacked-Ports.JPG

The Chevy smallblocks caught on because they were light and small for the power they made, and pretty quickly became available in prodigious numbers in junkyards. They also made more power stock than some heavily modded flatheads, so their popularity is no surprise.

And because they became so popular, so fast, the aftermarket go-fast guys concentrated on developing parts for the little Chevy...where the biggest potential market was. The wide array of available speed parts further drove the popularity, etc.

The formulaic hot-rods all running little Chevy engines do it for the simple reason that it's an engine that fits easily most everywhere, and because of the extreme popularity you can get hop-up parts for it cheaper than just about anything else.

Oh yeah...it's also a very VERY good engine.

Chevy engine alone "blows it", regardless of the rocker covers he's running. :rolleyes:

I gotta agree. Yes, I know they are reliable, and cheap, and parts are available, and get the job done. But man, they are just so dull and unimaginative.

• 4 weeks later...

Thinking about this, Ford ina Ford, which engine is right?

Reminds me of a revelation I had when teaching High School auto shop.

Basically, The car/make, of choice was usually based on a matter of . convenience. What was at hand when Mom, Dad, Grama or Grampa gave you their car. You latched on and had to justify what you got to all of your friends.Couldn't be caught in anything that wasn't cool now could we? B)

Later we started to realize what worked and what was practical. Well, most of us. ;)

Just a thought. :rolleyes:

Well, fine. There are some exceptions. I suppose I'm strange in the fact I'd rather have an original AC Ace than an AC or Shelby Cobra.

That's just covering aftermarket swaps and semi production conversions. You might surprised at what you find under the hood of regular production vehicles. Case in point, the Saturn Vue. This is a GM vehicle, with an Ecotech 4 cylinder base engine plus 2 optional V6 engines. One of the V6 engines is the GM 3.0 liter V6 which would be expected. The other option engine, though, is a Honda 3.5 liter engine. GM specified the engine to have a different intake manifold, with any reference to being a Honda removed. The Honda powered version also used a Honda spec transmission.

Another one with a factory installed import engine was the Taurus SHO, which used a Yamaha engine. Plus there's plenty of Chrysler products with Mitsubishi engines, and GM products with Isuzu engines. I'm only counting vehicles made by their respective companies with outside sourced engines, not rebadged "captive import" vehicles like the Chevy LUV, Ford Courier, and Dodge Ram 50. Switching the other way, Isuzu had a 3.4 liter GM option in the Rodeo, and Land Rover uses Buick V8s (actually, the predecessor engine to the 300 that is mentioned by lordairgtar).