Model Cars Magazine Forum

Alfa Romeo P3 is finished

BSteinIPMS

Well, it's finished. This Alfa Romeo monoposto Tipo B P3 in 1/20 scale by Revival International in Italy took 252 hours spread over 9 months and has 2521 parts and pieces. Lots of fun and a well-engineered kit, with the possible exception of the fact that virtually none of the parts fit. You hafta make 'em fit. But then, we're modelers, right? Not just "kit assemblers". :lol:

042_zpspmzwkit4.jpg

A right side view showing the silver fuel and oil lines along the frame, the latches in the fuel, oil, and radiator caps made from brass strip inserted in drilled-out holes, and the mechanical brake linkage underneath the car.

045_zpsgop4dhvo.jpg

This rear view shows the complex semi-eliptic springs and friction shock absorbers on all four wheels. The shocks were a challenge to scratch-build but really add significant detail to the model.

046_zpsvalfsevy.jpg

This close-up of the cockpit reveals the Alclad II Aluminum interior, the leather seat, wood steering wheel, and the instrument panel. This is a triple laminate and was made using an old model airplane technique. The outer or front panel was cut to fit from .010” sheet styrene and the instrument holes were drilled and filed in. The center laminate section is a piece of clear acetate cut from a page protector and will look like glass when assembled. The rear section is another piece of .010” sheet styrene that had the kit’s instrument decals applied to it. When all three sections are joined together the look of gauges under glass is very realistic.

047_zpsoqkw8t7z.jpg

The complex semi-eliptic springs and friction shock absorbers show up well here, as does the beautifully rendered rubber tires with a convincing tread pattern.

050_zpsbod6pzx1.jpg

The right engine bay opened up showing the exhaust manifold, ignition wiring, and the engine starting crank made from .015” brass wire and brass tubing.

049_zpsqah4bbcn.jpg

The hood and engine bay doors are designed to be openable, creating great access to the engine. The 2.6 litre straight-eight engine produced 190 hp using two Roots-type superchargers. The kit’s hood and side engine panel were devoid of detail, so all the louvers, sheet metal, and rivets were added.

052_zpsyipembkc.jpg

The model sits on the base of its display case with the spare engine on its stand and a Cloisonnè Alfa Romeo badge procured online which provides a little atmosphere.

Edited by BSteinIPMS

Just spectacular. All I would suggest would be to rough up the tire treads a bit to complete the veteran look.

You have a great suggestion, Skip, thanks! Actually I sanded the rubber tires down to scuff them up and remove the mold seam around the circumference, but I stopped short of removing all that lovely tread pattern. Couldn't bring myself to tear it all off since the spoked wheels and tires are two of the highlights of the kit.

Cheers!

Incredible!! Awesome detail!! (and great photography as well)

Would you enlighten us as to how the louvers on the hood were done?

Congrats on a well executed model.

Hi Tom,

Certainly, be glad to.

025_zpsy74m9xdm.jpg

An inside view of the hood showing the piano hinge. Since the inside of the hood was devoid of detail I added reinforcing strips around the edges of the hood made from Evergreen .010” x .020” styrene strip with Tichy Train Group .020” rivets. Having done that, I decided to add all the louvers from the same strip styrene which were shaped after the individual strips were glued down.