Model Cars Magazine Forum

Model T pickup from chopped coupe

Sixties Sam

I don't usually post to the on the workbench section, but I'm doing some surgery on this one, so I thought it might be interesting. I recently got the re-released 25 T double kit, and wanted to make something different with the chopped coupe body. I cut off the turtledeck, and shortened the body. I'll use the hot rod chassis from the kit, and maybe the engine too. Here's what I did so far. Cuts were made with a Dremel with an abrasive wheel. The last photo is a mock up of sort of what it will look like. My original thought was to make it a rat rod with rust, but I'm not sure.

post-4745-0-12858700-1430942943_thumb.jp

post-4745-0-32440300-1430942967_thumb.jp

post-4745-0-27879300-1430942987_thumb.jp

post-4745-0-01032400-1430943007_thumb.jp

post-4745-0-17267000-1430943031_thumb.jp

Yet another great idea for this classic AMT kit.I have built more models based on this kit than any other(2 finished and five under construction in the past 3 years).Yours is going to be very neat when finished.I really like the cab conversion concept,very clever and nicely done.Thanks for sharing your talent with us.

You might want to keep that turtle deck piece you cut off the back of the coupe body.I used mine several decades ago for an accessory trunk on the back of a chopped '34 Ford tudor sedan street rod.I used the open part at the front as the base and opened the new top as a lid.

Update: I decided to make this truck a mild rat rod (if there is such a thing). Painted flat black with a surface rust patina. Orange wheels with whitewalls. Lincoln engine from the kit with injector stacks from the hemi in the Little Red Wagon kit. I cut the top open in rat rod style, and made a wood plank bed from coffee stirrers with some mahogany stain on them. It's coming along!

BTW, thanks for all the nice compliments on the idea of making a pickup cab from the coupe body. Given that this coupe body goes back to about 1961, I'm sure someone must have done this before - many times!

Sam

post-4745-0-32937200-1431397072_thumb.jp