Model Cars Magazine Forum

Vel's Parnelli Jones F5000 Al Unser Car

Art Laski

• 2 weeks later...

Still making some progress. I made some front brake disks on the lathe and used some white metal calipers I had. I then plumbed them with some Pro Tech braided line and Tee fitting. I still have one more line to run up to the fron once I get the sway bar in. the disks are a littel thick, but buried inside the wheel, you won't be able to see the thickness. Once I get the wheels ready to fit, I'll trim the axle stubs.
I hope the pictures aren't too large for you guys. Fotki made me upgrade from a free account, so the pics are original sized. Not sure that's a good thing!!!

I also got the engine wired. I used a Morgan Automotive Detail (MAD) resin pre-wired distributor with the correct color that matches my reference shots for this particular car. It's actually a magneto, but still had a distributor-style cap, so this works, but I had to lengthen the body with some aluminum tube.
I had to get it wired before I can put the exhaust pipes on, or there's no way I could get in there later.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

So cleanly done Art.  One quick question for you, how do you do your zip ties?  They look so realistic and I've not found a method to do them as cleanly as that.  Would you mind sharing?   cheers, tim

Tim,

Thanks for looking and your nice comments. I really appreciate it. I never mind sharing any technique on this board, since I have personally learned so much from here. With what I have learned just from your builds alone, I owe you a few!

John Teresi, a true mentor to me, gave me some really cool data circuit tape a few years back to do some pinstriping. But it also works great for zip ties, etc. I have two thicknesses, and I use the thinner, but I don't recall what the actual thickness is. Being that the other is .040, it's less than that! Here's a pic of the tape:

58469931218122-vi.jpg?1448240048

I was just rolling it around, but I found I had trouble with the stick glue would come undone and it was awkward to try to glue it. So now I just stick it to itself, trim it, then glue the tab down. Here's my best effort at a Ken Hamilton-esque drawing, which should be self explanatory.

00469931220417-vi.jpg

Edited by Art Laski

Note to self: Stick with Funny's and Gassers. Don't even think about T/F 'cuz it's still open wheel category.

Brother Art, you are such a CLEAN builder. Thanks for sharing.

Brother Joe, thanks so much for the comment! I always enjoy your posts on all threads. Oh, and I happen to think you're a great builder too. Love the stuff you're doing now. ;-)

Thanks for the comments, guys. I managed to get a little more bench time in lately. I added a Pro Tech Mallory coil, and made a decal for it. Used some Pro Tech detail wire and photo etch nuts to detail it up a little. I also got the headers in and used some Detail master flanges and more Pro Tech nuts to detail those as well, along with some guitar string springs for the exhaust brackets. I made a new sway bar and some rods to connect to the uprights. I'm getting closer to getting this thing on wheels!

Dont know how i missed this thread but great work! Makes me want to ask Santa for a mini lathe to play with!

Thanks! I'm just getting started with the lathe. I don't know much yet, but it is a whole new world and really opens up possibilities. Hopefully Santa will be good to you!

These are not my big interests, but I've been following this build since you started it. Now I have to say that you're doing an incredible job with this one. Everything looks very realistic...This will be a real stunner when finished.