Model Cars Magazine Forum

Xacto (or paint brush) rack

I decided to build a storage rack for Xacto knives. The first attempt, using a distributor cap, was a dismal failure...when I had the blades pointing up it was (let's not go there) and when they were pointing down I couldn't see which one it was and they got very dull very quickly.

I decided to use a horizontal array and stack them vertically, ala the Easy Rider Rifle Rack
Xactorack.jpg

At the top is the "utility" handle; next is the BMF (I put a pencil eraser on it, so it won't roll, can be identified, and when I switch blades on the utility handle, I move the eraser to that handle), then come the various other blades. The bottom slot is the scriber, and the chisel point is on the base.

Start by taping two pieces of wood together, then drill 3/8" or 1/2" holes about 1" apart, drilling towards the back of vertical center. Then using a scroll saw or a sabre/razor/etc. saw, cut the openings; make sure there is a bit of upwards slope, so the great god of gravity can exert his influence. Take the tape off and glue to a base.

I'm using seven slots; if you go higher, increase the size of the base.

The nice thing about it is the small footprint and ease of access, allowing me to put it on the back of my workbench.

Edited by BigTallDad

Excellent! I usually ending up storing Xacto knives in the top of my foot. (Okay, only once, but I sure didn't want to repeat it.) I store them in a small pencil tray, and I try to keep some type of roll stopper on them. I might have to try your rack design.

Great looking rack. Like you and many others, I like the eraser on the handle to keep the things from rolling around. What I've done is use different colored erasers to denote what I would use that blade for. You just have to remember what color is witch.

Ray, Great Idea and execution. Given your past history with sharp instruments you might want to add a 2 - 3" sheet of clear Plastic to the blade side of the Rack as a shield. ;)

Huh? I've carried a pocket knife for 65 years and my knives are always sharp enough to shave hair. I've never cut myself to the point of requiring stitches.

Adding a plastic shield might make it difficult to remove the tool from the cradle; as it is, you lift the handle straight out of the slots.

Pretty cool idea. Why so many Xacto knives though?

I currently have two knives with #11 blades (utility and BMF), a #14 blade, a curved blade, a chisel-point blade, a photo-etch saw blade, and a swivel-point blade. That way I don't have to bother changing blades all that often (assuming I can even find the blades to begin with).

• 3 weeks later...

Great idea Ray although I have about 25 to 30 X-Actos with various items in them like different blades, PE saw blades and the smaller of the drill bits. I took a piece of oak and drilled holes in it to set the back end of the X-Acto handle in with the working end up. For the ones with blades and the tiniest bits, I keep the plastic cover on them so I don't puncture myself. I use different colors and different combinations of colors of narrowed down electrical tape to indicate the size of the bit. I'll get some pictures up this evening.

Finally able to get a picture posted of my tool rack.

ToolHolder1_zps8uisaigk.jpg

NIICELY done Oak stand! I do the same thing for the files I use and I'm gonna be doin the same thing for the bits around my Dremels and even machine bench for placements of common used bits..... Mine however will be done from Maple, its what I have to do it with thats hardwood.

Ray, thats a GREAT point! Specially the outter rows, being slightly canted outward to allow to grab them, and allow space for the center row. I'll be doing something similar to this just to hold "bits" for Dremels and drill bits of small diameter in my new work bench so...

Nice looking storage unit. When you were making it, did you consider placing each outer row of holes at a slight angle? That would allow better access to tools in the center row.

No I didn't Ray and now wish I had. It never occurred to me. Great suggestion.