Model Cars Magazine Forum

70 Mustang Boss 429

slider51

Some punk stole the mirrors,but overall good looking mustang.

Yea when I painted this kit I forgot to paint the mirrors and then used the rest of the paint for somethingelse!Thought about painting them flat black but I am not sure how it would look.

LOL...Good one Jeff!Some of my old builds I just left them off because I didn't have an enclosed display case so I had to dust them off and yea you know what happens to the mirrors.What wheels and tires are on your Mustang?I really like thoughs!

That's a good lookin' Mustang there Don! As far as the mirrors go I came up with a partial solution to their fragility after being installed. I drill into the mirrors , then drill a hole in the body where you want to mount them and pin 'em to the vehicle. I've found I don't have to risk messing up a good paint job because I'm gluing the mirror to a pin and not the body and I don't have to worry so much about knocking them off of the car so easy when handling or dusting.

Nice job Don, I think flat black mirrors might work well with this. B)

Yea the more I think about it I think so to!

That's a good lookin' Mustang there Don! As far as the mirrors go I came up with a partial solution to their fragility after being installed. I drill into the mirrors , then drill a hole in the body where you want to mount them and pin 'em to the vehicle. I've found I don't have to risk messing up a good paint job because I'm gluing the mirror to a pin and not the body and I don't have to worry so much about knocking them off of the car so easy when handling or dusting.

What do you use for pins?

Yea the more I think about it I think so to!

What do you use for pins?

Hey Don, I use regular pins with the little flat round head on them. I measured the stems at .028" so I drilled the hole in the body with a .028" drill bit mounted up in my pin vise about where I wanted the mirrors to mount up and inserted the pin all the way through until the head contacted the body from the back side like so...

DSCN0257_zpsskqcywtx.jpg

After that I cut the pin off to about the depth that I drilled into the mirrors. This takes a little trial and error but if it's too long you simply cut off a little more and true it up with a fine file to square the end off.

DSCN0258_zpsgqzqrpsy.jpg

Speaking of drilling into the mirrors. Don't go too far in or you'll go all the way through! :blink: Another tip while we are here is to apply Future floor polish with a brush onto the outside of the mirror body to gloss it. Don't worry about the finish . It will self level and come out shiny without having to wait for enamel to dry on teeny mirrors. :D

Bodyperipherals_zps6109f738.jpg

From here you just glue the head of the pin to the back side of the body and let dry. Then you apply super glue to the pin protruding out of the body and place the mirror onto the pin and not the body. This is so much better than gluing to the body because you don't risk messing a good paint job up!! ;)

Outsiderearviewmirrors_zps4f08701e.jpg

It's funny how this mirror looks pink here. Red, I've found, is one of the hardest colors to take pictures of and get to turn out the right shade. The body and mirror are just as red as the firewall appears in this pic.

Edited by mustang1989