Model Cars Magazine Forum

1940 Ford Candy Red Custom

Steve_L

While wandering through the automotive kit area of a local hobby store, I noticed an MPC Fire Chief 1940 Ford kit. When I saw that it was a snap kit, I almost passed on it. Then I noticed the chrome smoothie wheels and lakes pipes and decided to buy it to rob those items for another project. The kit (minus the wheels and exhaust) sat on my shelf for a few weeks. One day I took it down and looked for more parts that I might use for other projects. I looked it over and began to think about how I might build it as a custom. I visualized frenched and tunneled headlights and taillights, mild de-chroming, filled rear quarter windows and a "down in front" stance with big and little tires on five-spoke wheels. I got the project going and decided to add megaphone exhaust tips and bullet bumperettes. I finished the interior with Duplicolor Tan Upholstery paint and Bare Metal foil. I finished the exterior with Duplicolor primer, Rustoleum Bright Gold base, Spaz Stix Candy Red and Rustoleum clear paint. It was a fun project and proved to me that "snap kits need love, too..."

IMG_7985-vi.jpg

IMG_7986-vi.jpg

IMG_7988-vi.jpg

IMG_7989-vi.jpg

IMG_7990-vi.jpg