Model Cars Magazine Forum

The piston-less wonder

Austin T

Well I decided to have a massive cleaning party and unearth my workbench. Once the smoke cleared I knew that I wanted a (Relativly) simple build so I pulled an Aoshima RX-7 FD of the shelf and set to work. So far I've got most of the chassis completed and the wheels taken care of, as for the paint she's going to be HOK Ultra orange pearl. Maybe I'll tint the windows if I can find a good way to do that (Tried using the dye pots at work with no luck :(). Anyway I have no clue when I'll finish it but at least I've started something.

IMG_20150612_135458851-vi.jpg

I'm really proud of these rims,it just goes to show how a little creativity can make something box stock just pop. :wub:

IMG_20150531_200637079-vi.jpg

And here's the chassis with some Tamiya pastels applied. I used the silly putty method for the first time and it worked great!

IMG_20150612_135527960-vi.jpg

those wheels look great and these are really amazing cars, wish I had bought one new.

try Tamiya clear colors for your tint, try to spray lightly on the inside of the glass. or mix food color with future (etc) and spray it on. the Tamiya clear works better in my experience

jb

Thanks for the comments guys. I've always wanted to drive an FD, heck I've always wanted to drive a rotary for starters. :lol: I have yet to find the person who's willing to let a 19 year old take control of a not-so-cheap car but I will let you know when I find them. Who knows maybe I can see if Jay Leno wants to adopt.

Nice work! Love those rims. Been years since I drove a Rotary engine car, which was a first generation RX-7, (wasn't my car). Even back then the handling for a stock chassis was excellent. The thing I remember most was that Rotary's don't compression brake very well, about as well as a two stroke bike that is.

Back in 1979 when we bought the Fox Capri, the Mazda RX7 was on our short list. At the time there was a waiting list to get one.

The interior on the first gen RX7 was very small. When my family had the Getty station, my 300 lb bro-in-law couldn't fit in the car to move it into the garage for service!

What is the silly putty method?

You get Silly Putty (Make sure it's name brand) and use it to mask around the engine and the driveshaft,paint the engine and driveshaft and then peel it all off, best part is that it leaves no residue. It's very helpful if you have a chassis for a curbside kit.

Edited by Austin T