Model Cars Magazine Forum

34 Ford (Maybe its a Bantam?) Jungle Jim Mixup Mashdown

jbwelda

at some point in the past year I bought a Jungle Jim Vega Funny Car that was mostly built, just needed a few finishing touches. body was well painted and decaled, and the chassis was well constructed, and the engine was wired and plumbed so it looked like a pretty nice display model for like 20$ shipped.

and it was nice, it sat around for a while but the truth is I just don't much care for Vegas, or funny cars either for that matter. theyre kool and all but just mostly don't do anything for me. but one day I was looking around for something and I ran across this pretty crude chopped top and who knows what all else 34 Ford (I am guessing here...feel free to correct me) body that I had picked up somewhere cheap. and it is crude: doorlines aren't consistent and are missing altogether in some cases, there are lumps and bumps in the roof and side panels, the outside body bracing is very crudely done, the interior is clumps of raw unfinished resin. pretty much junk.

or...hey this body fits right on this chassis! very nicely too, if only it had a firewall. one firewall later I was priming it and preparing to paint it a dark deep blue, much like the JJ Vega is. but then I thought about another project I have going: a replica of a friend of mines 41 Willys pickup. I had bought some Chevy HHR Sunburst Orange (I believe it is called) in buzzcans so guess what? this reworked body is a test mule for the color shade of the Willys! (turns out, I shot this color over Tamiya white primer but Dennis' car looks a bit orangish...so I think I may experiment next with shooting the color over red primer)

actually is turning out pretty nice, the chassis was all assembled when it came but with me handling it, it has come apart in relatively nice ways, like the engine is removable at this point and some other parts can come off, so I am rebuilding and improving a bit as I go along.

also I was sitting one day looking at the body on the chassis and wondered how the track nose from Revell's Midgets would look on there, covering the fuel cell. darned thing fell on there like it was made for it.

questions, comments? bring it!

I1o2iK.jpg

kn5MN4.jpg

h5NQ1y.jpg

7uNQqK.jpg

heres the Jungle Jim Vega, anyone have any ideas for it? wanna swap something?

8u7siy.jpg

slRXFJ.jpg

jb

Edited by jbwelda

jb, your body looks almost like a Bantam, in fact before I read your post it looked (to me at least) like that's what you were aiming for. Too bad there isn't a bit of a ready source for a Bantam grill shell, that would look great on there.

• 2 weeks later...

Van: might get hold of you next week...

finished up a nose piece made of several components from the Revell flathead midget, covers the front up to about the front of the engine. this time I undercoated the paint in Tamiya orange, and think it represents Dennis' paint a little better. will bring it by his place later this week to see if that is true. meanwhile I don't mind a subtle mismatch on this particular model. the grille and I think a nice smallish white pinstripe on the nose will finish it off.

pmGFO1.jpg

KLTLsG.jpg

thanks again for looking!

jb

Looks very cool. And I definitely like the color.

I just love it, when sometimes you are just goofing around trying stuff and next thing you know, parts are just falling into place. The problem in my case with situations like this is that what starts as a very simple what if tryout ends up turning into a full blown build that goes out of control. Keep going at this thing and I am sure it will end up a great looking model.

Well this one I managed to keep to short and sweet, closer I looked at the chassis the less I liked it, nothing was really straight so I finished up the nose, took some pics, and put it on the shelf. looks best from a few feet away actually. thanks again for looking and comments questions criticisms are always welcome.

just noticed the body was sitting slightly crooked in the pics. its always something

w3YZX7.jpg

84uGY0.jpg

Mxdptt.jpg

dAAvva.jpg

gGJSXB.jpg

jb

Edited by jbwelda