Model Cars Magazine Forum

1937 Seagrave Tractor Drawn Aerial

• 2 weeks later...

Here are some photos of the truck as it was being built. The rig was built using measurements and photos of the actual truck. That is plastic porch railing stock that I used for the fenders. The hood, doors and bumper are brass.

006_zps0ssaz7tg.jpg

008_zpssf3t38lj.jpg

007_zpsrjml2aj0.jpg

Photos of the real truck included side views of all of the fenders. The front fenders are most unique and the rear fenders of the tractor are wider than the fenders for the trailer. So with the profile images brought down to size via computer I trimmed them out and stuck them to the porch railing stock with double sided tape. Once the profile for each fender was cut and sanded to shape the under sides were ground out with a dremel and sanding disc. It took a while for each fender and getting them to look the same while being mirror images of each other was not the easiest to do. The porch railing stock was real easy to work with, however and is quite strong. Once the underside carving was done I smoothed it up with some two part casting resin. Not only did it make each fender stronger, it made the underneath look more finished.

Edited by Chariots of Fire

Here are a few more photos of the truck as it was being built. I wish I had taken some before paint but I did not. First photo is one of the real truck (what was left of it after having sat outside for quite a while). At the end of my visits to get photos and measurements some of the detail parts started to disappear; like the Seagrave emblems on the battery boxes. Headlights were already gone and many of the ground ladders were missing. Seagrave was kind enough to send me a blueprint of their ground ladder construction. It shows everything from a 14' single ladder to the 50' extension ladder that was still on the truck. Guess it was just to heavy for someone to cart off.

I included a page out of my sketch book that shows the measurements taken and the 1/25 scale conversion for each one.

001_zpsxrff7890.jpg

004_zpsp02ewrrb.jpg

012_zpszpxj8nvz.jpg

010_zpsu73qweab.jpg

017_zpsogion4u7.jpg

This closeup really shows the poor job I did in nickle plating the front bumper! That's a signature finger print that I failed to remove from the brass before it was plated. Maybe I can chock it up to "wear and tear".

018_zpslmmz74rp.jpg

And the last one really shows up the outline of the decals. Today I would do a better job of hiding the edge. Maybe better decal paper would have helped. Live and learn, eh?

Charles formerly being from Massachusetts I've had the opportunity to see some of your work in person and it's even more amazing than the pictures. Keep up the great work you're an inspiration to reach for the moon.

Edited by Phat 46

• 2 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...