Model Cars Magazine Forum

Another local shop closes it's doors

I'll always buy at my LHS (s) before looking to the net even if it costs me more. What I might save by buying on a cheaper online source is often negated by the additional cost of shipping. I've already developed a good relationship with the new owner of my closest hobby shop (140 miles from me) and he's willing to do everything he can to get what I want no matter how unusual it is.

Only thing I buy from LHS is paint supplies, everything else I buy online save for Revell and AMT kits. One LHS near me moved to another town which made it difficult for me to now since it's a 25 minute ride, and it's not a town I go to for anything. But he does carry Mr. Color paints which no one else in northern NJ does.

I buy predominantly Japanese manufacturers for model kits, so there is absolutely no way I will pay whatever the LHS will charge for them. The same kits they might charge $50 or $60 for, I get for $25-$30 from HLJ. Yes I've got to pay shipping which will be usually around $20 for EMS from Japan. But I buy a few kits and other items to maximize the cost value of shipping. Still far better than paying $50-$60 a pop. I do like to support local businesses where I can, but not at my own expense.

Only thing I buy from LHS is paint supplies, everything else I buy online save for Revell and AMT kits. One LHS near me moved to another town which made it difficult for me to now since it's a 25 minute ride, and it's not a town I go to for anything. But he does carry Mr. Color paints which no one else in northern NJ does.

I buy predominantly Japanese manufacturers for model kits, so there is absolutely no way I will pay whatever the LHS will charge for them. The same kits they might charge $50 or $60 for, I get for $25-$30 from HLJ. Yes I've got to pay shipping which will be usually around $20 for EMS from Japan. But I buy a few kits and other items to maximize the cost value of shipping. Still far better than paying $50-$60 a pop. I do like to support local businesses where I can, but not at my own expense.

Bingo!! , thats why HLJ private warehouse feature is great, I ship when the total cost per kit is around $7/9 per kit

Back in late November,a friend's shop closed it's doors for good.Not only was it a hobby shop,but it also was a slot car house.He was doing well for a couple of years,& then he suddenly he couldn't pay his rent,& bills.I strongly believe,that Internet caused his business to go under.But now there's really nothing we can do about it.We have opened Pandora's box..Its always sad to see any local,ma,& pop stores go under.

My LHS has seen a nice up tick in customers. Partly because parents are getting there kids in RC/modeling vs gaming and partly because of there knowledge base.

They are VERY friendly and knowledable which helps a great deal.

I've also seen a reduction in model shops and model inventory on eBay. There new policies coupled with competition from Amazon is changing the landscape.

There are a few LHS in my general area of travel which sux big time, unfriendly staff with a "can't be bothered" attitude will catch up to them I think.

All in all, I've always felt that there are 2 kinds of buyers;

1) Low cost, indiscrimint buyer who knows enough about what they want.

2) Discriminent buyer who needs a little help as needs are not generic.

There is room for both but the latter requires a savvy biz owner to culticvate.

There's no link to what the neocons preach as to what their "principles" are, but you can bet they'll stick to them ...

You said that Reagan said that, and now you don't. It's now a thing neocons (which Reagan wasn't) say according to you. Having met Reagan and have been at his ranch with a friend who was close friends with him, I can say Reagan was not for greed but for people to make their own way without interference from the government. He wasn't perfect by any means but I felt the need to defend. Sorry. There is an excellent book by Peggy Noonan (I think) about his life.

We recently lost one of the LHSs in my area, but we have another that does things to stay functional. They also have a online presence which helps and they are not over priced. They put the retail suggested price on a sticker along with their own discounted price so you can actually see your savings. They have a OOP shelf of collector kits at decent prices. They stock HO and N trains, Breyer Horses and accessories, HO and larger slot sets, model car kits, truck kits both foreign and domestic and diecast and resin and Detail Master stuff. A armor and military kit selection and Estes rocket sets plus a bunch of paints, adhesives of all kinds and tools. The people running it are knowledgeable and genial. If they don't know something, one of the denizens wandering the aisles will know. The place is always clean too and doesn't smell like mold or ciggies. That is the goodness of Model Empire. I'm sure they have close months financially but I think they will be around a bit. I even see them with booths at car shows.

That is the goodness of Model Empire. I'm sure they have close months financially but I think they will be around a bit.

Yes, Alex Geiger and family (no relation!) run a good clean business. They travel to shows as far east as NNL East too. Always look forward to seeing him!

Looks like the LHS here is going to kick the bucket soon. It is an art supply store and model shop. The art department recently closed so I assume the rest is soon to follow. It's only been here 65 years of course. But I must admit they really downsized the place the last 2 years it used to be to storefronts now it's only one side and they stuck the models in the basement, and they about tripled the price of everything so it's no wonder I shop online.

I always wonder why they don't have an online store they have a website that is pretty well useless. Selling online could really bring some bucks in the door.

Also the staff seems to have become kinda jerks eyeballing everyone like your gonna rob the joint. Really turned me off. And I have been a regular there for the last 15 years

Edited by JTRACING

I sometimes wonder what the deal is with hobby shop owners.

-went to a shop many years ago that turned out to be 99% armor, slovenly owner smoking at the counter acted like I was a bothersome gnat rather than a customer. I didn't buy anything.

-found a hobby shop about an hour's drive away (in rural Canada, this counts as 'nearby'), but it was mostly the guy's storage for his e-business, and never seemed to be open. I eventually phoned to see when they'd be open, and they were closing that week, couldn't make rent. Prices were high anyway.

-found another hobby shop a few years ago that had some hot rod kits, a copy of Rodder's Journal on the counter. Stock seemed decent but picked-over...and as I was browsing, I heard the owner and some other fellow discussing the financial situation that was forcing him to close within the next month. Whoops, I killed another one.

-located a hobby shop about 2 hours drive away, they had very little stock but some good kits. Paint rack was thin and picked-over. Woman running the till was maybe the wife of the owner, seemed very uncomfortable there, like she'd rather be someplace more stylish :P

-a hobby shop I've visited several times now, about 3.5 hours away, has a fairly wide selection, but employees who know jack squat about their stock. I asked the employee on the till (employee of the month according to the little photo in the corner!) if he built models. He replied "I sort tried to put one together once to see what it was all about". I asked if they had liquid glue for styrene, and he seemed surprised that such a thing existed.

-my local 'hobby shop' is a small section of a general-hardware store, has a variety of kits (mostly corvettes, mustangs, and trucks...that's what sells here apparently) but the same Testors paints have been on the shelf as long as I can remember. So at least 15 years, maybe 20. Most of them have gone bad/ have separated in the jar. Prices are also about $30 per kit, which is steep for those AMT reissues. I occasionally buy a kit in the name of supporting local business, but any time I can get a deal elsewhere, I take it.

If I could find a well-lit place with decent prices, relatively fresh stock (particularly paint and glue), and staff who have half a clue, it would be like locating a living breathing unicorn!

I normaly deal with a lhs about 30 min drive. Glued the tailgate shut on a new Moebus ford and wanted another to try something different. I went to our Hobby lobby about ten minutes away. A while back they had one aisle of models and some diecasts on both sides with supplies in the next aisle on one side. Now they have kits on one side and supplies on the other of one aisle. Do Not carry Moebus and when I asked if they did was told they were fazing models out for not selling. Their located in Niles, Ohio.

In which area you live, Harry?

Simón P. Rivera Torres

In this area we are very lucky. Within 30 minutes drive, I have 4 quality, well stocked hobby shops specializing in model cars, parts, aftermarket, paint, glue. There are probably another 10 hobby shops that specialize in radio control and they also carry model cars and paints. The hobby is well served here.

Recently, my favourite computer/electronics chain (Tiger Direct) closed all their retail stores. I bought my last 4 computers from them, as well as monitors, cables, etc. They also did repairs, upgrading, etc. When I emailed, they said that I could buy online. I asked who was available to show me and explain the new products and they said, 'no one'. Now I have to find a new computer store. I prefer to shop face to face when I am buying a new product.

I understand buying online to save a few bucks but when your 'favourite hobby store' closes, was it really your favourite? :( And when you have a problem with a kit, have fun returning it by mail :( Some of the local hobby shops have had people come in and ask for help with a problem kit, such as a warped body or missing parts, and they tell the person to take it back to the company they bought it from :)

Remember the James Garner movie 'Support Your Local Gunfighter'? Try supporting your local hobby shop as well :)