Model Cars Magazine Forum

Kits with Hemi engines

I believe that all the engines that the OP listed as examples of what he's looking for fall into the 354/392 family I mentioned. Prolly that's where I got the idea that that's what he meant. B)

Actually, the OP lists 3 different and distinct first-generation Mopar Hemi engine families.

The AMT '32 Ford roadster has the familiar Chrysler FirePower engine that was available in displacements of 331, 354, and 392 cubic inches. These are the most common, and the ones usually identified as "vintage Hemi". These engines were built between 1951 and 1958, with the 354 being an essentially one-year engine (in cars, three years in trucks).

The AMT Ala Kart, listed by the OP, has a Dodge Red Ram Hemi, similar in design to the Chrysler engine, but different. Displacements were 241, 270, 315 and 325, between '53 and '57.

The AMT '53 Ford pickup the OP mentions has a DeSoto FireDome Hemi, another similar but different engine family. Introduced in 1952 with 276 cubic inches, it grew through 291, 330, 341 and 345, and was built through 1957.

The AMT Wynn's Jammer kit would represent the Chrysler FirePower engine, as would the engine in the AMT parts packs.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

MPC '70 Coronet Super Bee, AMT '70 Coronet Super Bee, Amt '70 Coronet Pro-Street, (Comes ALSO with the 426 DOHC Hemi as well) AMT's "Dirty Donny's '70 Coronet Super Bee.

'69 Dodge Charger R/T "General Lee"

-Just to name a few.....

Fill the rest of us in. What's a XP-47H?

Scott

It's a converted P-47 fighter, re-designed as an experimental hot-rod upgrade for the P-47, and as a test bed for Chrysler's inverted V-16 hemi...their first hemi engine...towards the end of WW II.

Chrysler-XIV-2220-engine.jpg

With the usual production radial engine, the aircraft looks like this. Compare it to Snake's photo above.

P-47D_Razorback_01.jpg

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

Just to give the assurance (I'm a member of "Allpar.com") The P-47 engine as a hot rodded plane, heres what that Hemi looks like:

Mopar_Hemi-Head_V-16_2220_000.jpg

Mopar_Hemi-Head_V-16_2220_001.jpg

Mopar_Hemi-Head_V-16_2220_002.jpg

And yes, this WAS "Chryslers" first "Hemi" 2022 cubic inches of pure horsepower....3,000 HP I believe I've read. A LOT for that little plane back then!

THEN you have me. making a "Auto-useable" version of it...... :D have a look:

http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=102164&hl=

-just to compete in the Allison builders and keep my "Mopar builders" status! :D

And yes, this WAS "Chryslers" first "Hemi" 2022 cubic inches of pure horsepower....3,000 HP I believe I've read. A LOT for that little plane back then!

First time I've ever heard the P-47 referred to as "little." :blink:

First time I've ever heard the P-47 referred to as "little." :blink:

-Well back then it wasn't "little" but by todays standards........ UNLESS I'm confusing it with another plane that is physically smaller then the P-47....(which may very well be true!)

-Well back then it wasn't "little" but by todays standards........ UNLESS I'm confusing it with another plane that is physically smaller then the P-47....(which may very well be true!)

It was a big ol' horse of an airplane, the largest, heaviest single-engine aircraft of WW II if I remember correctly. And I believe the rated power of the experimental V-16 engine was about 2500, comparable to the last of the Griffon-powered Spitfires.

e5e9232d0142890dd1225bdcd9573ac3.jpg

Interesting tour through the toolies with the aircraft and Non-Mopar Hemispherical Combustion Chambered Power Plants, and now back on topic, sorta.

I can pretty much differentiate between the little Red Ram Hemi and the 392's, everything is pretty much the same to me in scale. The later 426 Muscle Car Hemi is different enough that it is readily apparent that it is the Later Hemi, distributor placement being the first thing I notice.

The early Hemi's are all an interesting and cool alternative to the so often seen early Small Block Chevrolet engines in early and Traditional Hot Rods and Customs. Both the Small Block Chevrolet and Mopar Hemi's were the first OHV Domestic engines that Hot Rodder's could get their hands on in the wrecking yards. This alone is most of the reason that there were so many Go-Fast Goodies for these engines, check out a stack of "Little Pages" and you'll figure that out quickly! Love seeing both Early Hemi's and Small Block Chevy engines in the early Rods.