Model Cars Magazine Forum

Packing up…..

FASTBACK340

So starts the process of sorting and packing up a household. My family has owned this house since 1969 so there's a few things to go through…… Throwing out un-needed stuff, pairing down necessities, and boxing and storing. One of the first casualties is the model room. Talk about a daunting task! I'll pop in occasionally to say hi, but my building is on hold until, well…. until i un-pack wherever we end up.

Later guys, build on…..

I wish you and Amy very good luck with your packing and moving adventure John.  I've moved several times over the years, with my latest move happening in 2006 from Long Island to our current home here in western PA.  I hope I never have to move again.  I hated all the packing of boxes, and especially packing up my models and supplies.  It seems that no matter how carefully you pack and handle the built models you'll always find some of them slightly damaged or antennas & mirrors, etc. knocked off.... not a huge disaster but nonetheless annoying.  One advantage though is winding up with a larger, dedicated model room/area.

We're getting the house ready to sell so we have to store 3/4's of our stuff until we can sell/buy the house. It's kind of exciting since the 2 stipulations I made was a 2 car garage (electricity, detached, deep driveway) and a hobby room big enough for both me AND the dog. My current situation is more than most have, but severely compromised as it is. Tiny doesn't begin to describe it….. the room is about 10' X 10'. Amy has her list of demands too, but they are reasonable. Namely 2 baths and a finished basement with a second kitchen for holiday baking. Otherwise 2 bedrooms, yard entrance from back of house, and some other much less important details. 

The new accommodations require: A/C - Day Light -  SPACE ! And of course music, maybe a TV, small `fridge. A bathroom close by would be nice too….. But mostly space. To be able to roll my chair back further than 11" without hitting something would be a nice experience. And a display cabinet. All my stuff is in boxes and cases now.

We've only been here about 5 years but it's time for change. Packing up sucks, but staying here would suck worst.

Hang in there John....done that before too and its no fun at all.  If anything gets in your way packing up the model room just send it to me buddy...:)

Actually I will contact you. I know your always looking for materials, kits, and supplies. 

I'll be in touch….. ;-)

Good luck with all your packing and moving ... it is exciting when you get to find something that will suit all your needs. I've been in this house for 26 years and so far it's completely filled out needs ... 2 kids and a live in Mother-in-Law. And now the basement is all mine as a model shop. I dread ever having to move again ... they can just dump me under the basement floor!

Sounds like you're planning on leaving the city proper, John? 

Wherever you land, best wishes and enjoy your new house. I've played real estate off and on, and it's a good gig. Feels good when someone finds a place they like and you helped make it happen.

Charlie Larkin

Good luck with your adventure .

The drive for work would take awhile but the house down the street from me is one you would love. Does not have a basement but it does have a two car attached garage and a three detached with a lift already installed. The one bay is big enough for an RV. Cement driveway. :rolleyes:

http://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/1032-S-Park-Dr_Temperance_MI_48182_M39460-43953?row=76 

Here is a look for you. 

Yeah, I know we have some work ahead of us. But the thought of a real backyard and a better house is nice. My Wife (bless her….) is showing me houses with 4 car garages. The problem with that is the property taxes are insane….. like $14K a year or higher! Yikes!!!! :o

If we shop for a modest house, 2 car garage, deep driveway, and a hobby room/basement space where I can stretch out it would be nice. And as for introducing the neighbors to the `Cuda, I may yank the engine when we move in (rear main & pan is leaking….) and make friends. Once we know each other and have shared a BBQ or two,  I'll put it back together and rattle their windows. ;)

Just want out of Queens. The last parking space was taken last week. It's full. :wacko:

Just want out of Queens. The last parking space was taken last week. It's full. :wacko:

One of my closest friends- really, the guy that's closest to a brother to me (and we are brothers via DeMolay, anyway,) lives in Red Hook, Brooklyn, now. 

When I go down to visit Rob, and I usually do so after LIARS, parking around there is horrifying. 

To make sure I understand, there is literally no on-street parking where you are now? 

Charlie Larkin