Model Cars Magazine Forum

'58 Impala (amt)

Raul_Perez

First, thanks to everone who provided ideas and comments while I was building this one. Second, I'm so glad its DONE! This one fought me all the way to the end. I may put mirrors on it if I can find some nice, simple chrome ones.

I used the custom grille surround from the AMT '58 Impala, then slightly narrowed the stock grille to fit. I didn't like the 4 bar custom grille that came with the kit.

DSC04388-vi.jpg

From here you can see the slightly modified cowl induction hood that was shaped to match the overall profile of the rear roof vent. Yep, this is also a pretty clear shot of the 19" and 23" Big-n-Littles that many of you helped me decide on using.

DSC04386-vi.jpg

Here you can see the custom taillight openings, bezels and lenses. The roll pan is one of the custom pieces from the kit. The exhaust tips are aluminum tubing.

DSC04384-vi.jpg

Here's the forward tilting, hinged hood with the built-in support rod.

DSC04376-vi.jpg

For this build, I used the Z-11 427 (based on the 409) from the AMT '62 BelAir Super Stock kit.

DSC04372-vi.jpg

The Accel super coil and the aluminum distributor are from ScaleModelingByChris. The balast resistor was made from a piece of Plastruct.

DSC04375-vi.jpg

All I can say at this point is that I'm really glad that this one is DONE!

Thanks, again to everone who helped,

Edited by Raul_Perez

That looks spectacular!

Great job Raul! I'm glad to see the windshield was the last hurdle that presented itself for this one. We're ALL are glad to see it done! :o Everything looks right on with this one, but that's nothing out if the ordinary. Can't wait to see what you've got planned next. Maybe a rod? A RAT rod perchance? ;):D

:)

Yes sir, that is beautiful and I'm just as happy that it's done as you are!! :)

That looks spectacular!

Great job Raul! I'm glad to see the windshield was the last hurdle that presented itself for this one. We're ALL are glad to see it done! :D Everything looks right on with this one, but that's nothing out if the ordinary. Can't wait to see what you've got planned next. Maybe a rod? A RAT rod perchance?

Thanks, guys! The next build is the '64 Ford Fairlane T-Bolt for the on-line drag racing contest. It'll be strictly a box build with a few PE parts and some BMF thrown in to make it a "keeper".

Later,

:) Raul,I love the tail light treatment! Back in 1962 my big brudder had a 58 Del Rey 4-dr. He did EXACTLY the same thing with the taillights,I can still remember how bad the plexiglass STUNK! as he was cutting it! It always seemed to me to be a natural flow of the cars lines,Yours is the ONLY other car (even if it is a model) Ive ever seen with the same treatment.It looks great. the whole thing came out great.Dont mean too gush but you've brought back SOOO many pleasant memories.Great build and Thanks!

Well, it's time to start the '64 Ford Fairlane T-Bolt for the drag racing "build-off". :)

Yeah! I hear ya gotta lotta catchin up to do!HEhaaha jus foolin!

Yeah, I finally got the cellophane off of the box and I'm busy finding photos on the internet. I'm going to keep this one simple, so it "should" go pretty quickly. B)

That's simply incredible Raul, you've got me seeing RED. It's just flawless everywhere, and your paint, interior, and underhood detail is top notch....did I leave anything out? :) Oh, it's great to see you use those wheels too!!!

That's simply incredible Raul, you've got me seeing RED. It's just flawless everywhere, and your paint, interior, and underhood detail is top notch....did I leave anything out? :D Oh, it's great to see you use those wheels too!!!

Thanks, John! Yeah, I know...time to paint something other than red... B) I'm building a '64 T-Bolt next that'll be white. :D

Edited by Raul_Perez