Model Cars Magazine Forum

29 FORD UNBOXING

Dr. Cranky

I have a quick question for you, my next model will be the first one that I do with an opening trunk. I watched your hinging tutorial and I'll definitely be following it. But my paint job is going to be really thick so I wanted to know how well they will fit together. Do I need to sand the sides a bunch? Or will it fit without any modifications. Just thought I'd see what you have to say before I screw it up and have to reprint. Thanks

Here is how my first (of many) 29 FORDS has turned out.  I want to say that there were indeed a few fitting issues with the floor and side panels, but nothing I could not work out.  Overall, I think the fact that this kit is available and with so many alternate parts it's great news for those of us who love early Fords.

the exhaust tips were on chrome tree with the front axle/suspention..

what happened to your steering box/column?  it mounts about a 1/4 inch behind the motor mount, did you get out of sequence during assembly?

the steering box fits under the headers and connects to the pitman arm/drag link. There are two different steering box/columns in the kit,one for the channeled version one for the other,perhaps you mixed them up?

Otherwise nice job!

Edited by mike 51

Virgil....looks very, very sharp.  Great job on the weathering and patina, of course!  

The instructions state to use floorboard #13 for the channeled version, but the correct assembly sequence is to use floorboard #62, the same one used for the Highboy version.  The #13 part is used in a future version of the kit tool, with a different body and interior panels that align with the slots on that floorboard.  There are no fit issues when using floorboard #62.  Revell agrees and will make a correction on the instruction sheet of future releases.  .  

There are chrome exhaust tips that are entirely hollow, cast on the ends of one of the chrome trees.  They are really easy to overlook (I had to go trash can diving to retrieve my first set), but they are there.  

Looking forward to seeing where you go with your next builds of the kit.  Cheers...TIM 

Thanks, Tim, I realized both of those issues although I was able to finagle the interior without too much of a struggle.  I am sure I threw out the exhaust, but I have 11 more of these kits to go (I'm going to try and build one every month) with plenty of exhaust tips.