Model Cars Magazine Forum

round 2

since round 2 bought out ertl/amt/mpc, polar lights and lindberg, would't it be nice that as we the consumer can vote on future releases? They can post on their web site all of the models that they have, Example, 1960 el camino, 1933 chevy sedan delivery, 1978 bronco,  I know we all can think of other kits we would like to see released under the round2 flag, I would love to see their inventory of molds so we all can vote, and the top ten or so they can make and its a win win, we get what we want, and they make money, 

Voting often does not work. RC2 tried it and the lunatic fringe skewed the results. Write R2, Revell and Moebius and let them know what you want.

I have a copy of a letter I sent to Monogram in 1985. Of my list of ten all new kits....6 were made before the Revell buy out. 

Let them know!

I have gone on a companies site and voted...there were some awesome choices...would make me a happy camper.  Id love to see a list of there molds to chose from as choices we would like to have re-issued too.  Maybe even some of the old past companies tooling still around owned by them they might have for consideration for a future release....:)

> the lunatic fringe skewed the results

362lyg.jpg

jb

professional lunatic fringe element

Stuffing the ballot box, things like that.  That, and none of these companies are going to put a list out there and tell everyone (including competitors) of what they have and don't have.  Jo-Han/X-EL did the "put out a list and let people vote" thing years ago.  But they listed literally everything Jo-Han ever made, with no consideration as to whether or not they could actually bring something back.  Actually, there wasn't much they could do, other than what they did...look at the choices they made for the X-EL promotional reissues, and even the USA Oldies series.

If any model company, not just Round 2, is going to be putting stuff up for vote, they better do after they have confirmed they have the molds. And in the case of new kits, that they are really going to do it. Far too many times they we out appetites with promises, just to leave us out in the cold, again! 

To be quite honest, in recent years they have re-released some stuff that I thought I would never see new on the shelves again. So I do give them credit for that. 

If any model company, not just Round 2, is going to be putting stuff up for vote, they better do after they have confirmed they have the molds. And in the case of new kits, that they are really going to do it. Far too many times they we out appetites with promises, just to leave us out in the cold, again! 

To be quite honest, in recent years they have re-released some stuff that I thought I would never see new on the shelves again. So I do give them credit for that. 

Yea, and I bet it pisses off the Ebay hoarders. Hahahahaha

How about the Cooter's  tow truck? It doesn't have to have the DOH decals or liscensing, perhaps some generic service station and body shop decals. If they still  have the licensing for Texaco do it as a service truck for a Texaco station. And make sure it has all the accessories as they were back in the day.

scan0162-vi.thumb.jpg.67294c06eb2fc79e30

Edited by VW93

The "Cooter's" issue 72 Cheyenne was the Last issue of the Original Annual

67-72 Chevy Pickup from the MPC tooling.

Evidently it was Lost,

That is why the AMT 72 GMC Short-bed Stepside was modified into the Cheyenne Longbox Fleetside 

we have had re-issued no less than 4 times '95

And to think the Modified Pickup kit commands over $35-40.oo

with that many re-issues, is it any wonder why the Cooter's version demands So much more??!!

I Would Love to see the Tow truck option return, but likely that was lost with the rest of the

Annual Fleetside since that is what was Last offered from that tooling!!

Mark is right, no company is going to put out a list of everything they've got.  And Jesse is right that they need to be sure a project is feasible since we've been disappointed before when companies have announced something they later found to be unworkable or mismarked.

This business isn't as easy as letting people vote and putting the kits out in that order. It's almost a given that anything that we've seen in the past 20 years is in working order, especially the kits we've seen over and over.  Round 2 has been very good at adding value to these by adding new tool tires, recreating ancient box graphics and adding old parts we haven't seen in years to these kits.  The parts sometimes were in sections of the tool that past owners had welded off, and other times they had the parts recreated with new tooling. 

There is kit tooling in inventory that will need a major investment to bring back from the dead. It's no secret that some of it sat outdoors for years and mechanical parts will need a lot of work to restore. There are kits that are missing tooling.  In many cases tooling that sits separate from the main tool like tire molds, clear glass shots and tail lights have gone missing and that tooling needs to be recreated at a cost.

I'm sure they have a list of kits they could bring to market and what investment needs to be made to do so.  The guys involved in Round 2 are old model car guys like us so they understand what they have and want to do the right thing.  I think their strategy of what we get in what order comes down their gut of what will sell, and how it works into investment and workload.  

As they dig deeper into the kit vault, the tougher it gets.  The easy to do kits have been done. The low hanging fruit, kits that needed some minor work or a small tool recut have been done.  Now they are into kits that need major work and that will need time and investment.

The 1/16 Petty and now Baker Chargers are evidence that Round 2 is dedicated to older kits. The work that went into those is undeniable, and while I'm certain there was sell through I'll wager those 2 kits alone were an investment many times over many of our annual salaries. The tooling for the Petty Dart Sportsman coming back was a great surprise to me. Then there's the reverse engineered kits from Monogram like Rommel's Rod and Tijuana Taxi. Not everyone here likes those kits but I'll wager they sold through. That bodes well for future releases and more possible reverse engineered rarities.

I'm happy to get what I get, and as time continues its inexorable slide more treasures will pop up and my unbuilt pile will grow. I'm happy, are there those here not capable of happiness? Times are good in my eyes.

Food for thought.

Depending on where you live, you may find that Revell and Round2 attend shows, talk to modellers and make serious notes about what is wanted. Both of these companies have been to NNL East and NNL Toledo in the past few years and will attend again. They are not there for the food :) When you see them at a show, go and talk to them. Don't rant and rave and ask for a '1968 Whatchamacallit molded in the same colour as yours was. Ask about what is feasible to release. No, we are not getting a Tucker kit or every year of every car and truck and motorcycle but we may get what is popular with serious modellers like us and not so serious modellers who buy the bulk of the kits :) 

Now I know, you are going to say, 'I'll buy a dozen Tuckers'. You and a hundred others will each buy a dozen and a thousand will buy 1 each. That adds up to 2200 kits and a minimum run of a new tool is several thousand kits, and they haven't paid for the tool yet :( 

When I am vending at a show, one of the questions I get asked is 'Why don't they make a pack of figures?' There are about a dozen assorted figures available and they might be a great seller. Any other ideas?