Model Cars Magazine Forum

MPC 1982 Dodge Van "Bad Company"

Jordan White

Thanks for the comprehensive answers guys :) I already got the AMT 71 Duster and using the engine out of that kit will be the one I will go for. The Duster kit itself is (at least in my plans) going to be Al Bundys "Dodge". I don't know what engine the "Dodge" had but I'm guessing it should be a slant six.

Your welcome! As for Al Bundy's car, YES it be a 225 Slant 6...... The best model of that one I have have seen is from the Lindberg '64 Dodge 330 OR Lindberg '64 Plymouth Belvedere. BOTH kits came with a Slant 6 option as well as a 383 and I believe a 426 Commando  "Wedge" NOT the 426 Hemi!! Same engine block, different heads. -The '64 Dodge 330 came with the Slant 6 and the 383, The Plymouth came with a slant 6 also and a 426 Wedge. The "race cars" of either of these 2 cars from Lindberg I believe only came with a choice of one engine! The 426 Max-Wedge in the '64 Dodge 330, and the 426 Hemi in the '64 Plymouth Belvedere. I have the Dodge 330. I am on the look out for the Plymouth Belvedere tho......

I have resin copies of the slant 6 if anyone needs! Both from this kit, and the Deora truck! -The Deora kit, I'm not all that impressed with the engine in that kit.... Even tho, I did mold a copy of it, with various changes to make it more correct for a 226 Slant 6.

Edited by 426-Hemi
I can't type!

Yes, the one from the Lindberg 64 Dodge looks good. I got that kit aswell, I did start one (or two) some years ago with a wild plan of making a "airport taxi" out of two kits. Never got any further than the lots-of-bondo-to-be-sanded stage when my cutting was a bit off. Maybe I will finish that some day.

• 5 years later...
5 hours ago, slusher said:

Casey do you have a picture of this one?  Can’t remember it...

No, I haven't seen any images of these newly announce kit yet, but I would imagine it will be much the same as the Bad Company version, with a set of pre-printed raised white letter tires, maybe that set of five spoke, chrome plated wheels they included in the forthcoming Ford Surfer Van, and new decals. Here's the base kit, and previous release:

IMG_1000-vi.jpg

37 minutes ago, alexis said:

Here is the "Gold Rush" Version.

Gold Rush is the only version of the MPC Dodge vans that doesn’t include stock parts. I do agree with Adam that it’s a great celebration of MPC banning era excesses!

MPC updated the van each year and included changes such as the pattern of roof ribbing.  I pulled out my collection of kits, built ups and junkers and every one was different!  The only question in my mind was why they did this as a long wheelbase van while most of the custom vans were short. 

Here’s my album of what I believe to be all the versions. Anyone, please let me know if you know of any I’m missing:

https://public.fotki.com/ModelCitizen/model_cars/my_model_car_box/dodge_van_kits/

Edited by Tom Geiger

48 minutes ago, Tom Geiger said:

Gold Rush is the only version of the MPC Dodge vans that doesn’t include stock parts. I do agree with Adam that it’s a great celebration of MPC banning era excesses!

MPC updated the van each year and included changes such as the pattern of roof ribbing.  I pulled out my collection of kits, built ups and junkers and every one was different!  The only question in my mind was why they did this as a long wheelbase van while most of the custom vans were short. 

Here’s my album of what I believe to be all the versions. Anyone, please let me know if you know of any I’m missing:

https://public.fotki.com/ModelCitizen/model_cars/my_model_car_box/dodge_van_kits/

Maybe because the van was based on a recycled peoples carrier, if the kit was initially designed as a panel Van it might have been a shorty from the get go.

Personally I find the round headlamp Dodge Van's the most beautiful of them all, therefore bought every release I could find on ebay and Fred Stern back in the day when prices were reasonable.

But anyway what not was or is, can change fast in these times of scanning and rapid prototyping ;) just in great numbers let the good people of Round-2 you want one, and.....

Photo from your files ;)

1971 Dodge Sportsman Van

Edited by Luc Janssens

1 hour ago, Luc Janssens said:

Maybe because the van was based on a recycled peoples carrier, if the kit was initially designed as a panel van it might have been a shorty from the get go.

Duh! I should have remembered that! Not only do I have that kit.. but I owned a 1:1 of it!  

I have shortened one just for giggles. Not as easy as it looks!

I agree that the older round headlight versions are nicer looking. The nose on the Bad Company van is actually the high end treatment. The lowly work vans had a single round headlight, almost like the ambulance version.

8 minutes ago, Tom Geiger said:

Duh! I should have remembered that! Not only do I have that kit.. but I owned a 1:1 of it!  

I have shortened one just for giggles. Not as easy as it looks!

I agree that the older round headlight versions are nicer looking. The nose on the Bad Company van is actually the high end treatment. The lowly work vans had a single round headlight, almost like the ambulance version.

I have both the original and the police version, they're beautiful time capsules and get a smile on my face every time I pull them out of the stash to take a look.

• 1 year later...