Model Cars Magazine Forum

"Terrible Topolino" Fiat Competition Coupe. - Completed!

I’ve been away from the workbench all summer and just got back to it a couple of weeks ago. My goal is  to complete a vintage drag model for a challenge build on the Vintage Drag Model (oddly enough) web site. The Challenge has a cutoff of October 15th so things are really tight, but I’m making good progress despite some problems with a brittle older resin body shell. I’m building a mid-60’s style Fiat Competition Coupe.

Thanx for Lookin’
B.

The basic chassis is based on the late 60’s, early 70’s long wheelbase chassis first introduced by AMT on the Tommy Ivo front-engined dragster and based on a Don Long design. The chassis is found in many different kits including the AMT Digger ‘Cuda. In this case I sourced it from the Model King Too Much twin-engined dragster variant. In stock form it measures out to a 7.5” wheelbase which translates to a classic 187.5 scale inches. I shortened the frame forward of the engine area to 6.125” or a more mid-60’s friendly 153 scale inches. Here’s a comparison with the stock length frame.

DSCF4038-web_zpswhcugjbh.jpg

The motor is based on one of the 426 Hemis from the Too Much kit. The only significant change was using an Enderle “Barn Door” injector from the Revell Tony Nancy Double Dragster kit. The blower is finished in Magnesium and Burnt Metal testors Metalizer paints. The injectors will receive an era-correct Enderle injector scoop during final assembly. The driver compartment area of the chassis was fiven aluminum paneling along the sides and on the floor fashioned from .010” styrene sheet finished in Aluminum Plate Metalizer paint.

DSCF4040-web_zpsbx7sw8k9.jpg

The wheels are  60’s vintage Halibrand “Bear Claw” pieces from Competition Resins finished in Testors Acryl Jiet Exhaust paint to represent the classic Dow 7 coating of the period. The tires are AMT Parts Pack 11” M&H’s.

DSCF4042-2-web_zpsdu4tyf0l.jpg

Here’s the chassis as a roller with the motor installed”

DSCF4044-web_zpspj2wa9vp.jpg

The Fiat body was bought on EBay and a little internet research reveals it to be from AFX Resins, but no longer available. I cut open the roof which unfortunately introduced some stress cracks in the body shell requiring extensive repair work.  Hopefully they’ll hold come paint time.

DSCF4045-web_zpszgmt5zar.jpg

DSCF4048-web_zpsa4qf1gry.jpg

DSCF4049-web_zpsbkqmtie7.jpg

Paint will be in a light shade, perhaps even white. I have also worked out some basic logo art as shown below.  The long logotype will go above the windshield and along the lower edge of the body at the rear below the trunk area.

Terrible-Topolino-Mockup-Web_zpschxozign

Edited by Bernard Kron

Thanks everyone! Here’s a small update. I’m afraid that, despite the looming deadline for the Challenge I’m all too distracted with detail stuff. The color scheme will be white with red, the red highlights consisting primarily of red lettering and quite likely red Plexiglas windows. I’ve finished detailing the bodywork so I can shoot primer and color tomorrow, weather permitting. In order to notch the lower edge of the body to clear the push bar I had to make a pushbar brace. The red Plexiglas windows led to fanricating a red Plexiglas roof panel. If I keep it it will need to be glued in place in order to conform to the roof curvature. If I go with a solid roof panel then I can use the piece I cut out4 and make it removable. I’m preparing both to try them out during final assembly. I also cut down a parachute from the hRevell Tony Nancy Double Dragster kit and cut a hole and installed a mounting panel in the rear deck to receive it.

I also started fabricating a pair of whell well panels. They’re made from leftover Revell ’41 Willy’s Street Rod interior bits, massively cut down. They may be the one thing I don’t include in time for the Challenge deadline on the 15th. Otherwise I think I have a shot at it...

Thanx for lookin’,
B.

The pushbar brace which will receive a vertical pushbar made from a piece aluminum tubing polished to a chrome-like finish:

The rear end showing the red Plexiglas roof panel roughed into place, the notch in the body to clear the pushbar brace, and the parachute installation. Details, details, details…

The motor and chassis are now complete and ready to receive the body. The body has gotten its color coat and the decals art has been completed and the size and placement of the graphics checked. So at thi sstage I’m ready to print decals, apply them, and then clear coat the body. With 5 days to go I think I might make it…
Thanx for lookin’,
B.

I decided to stick with a solid roof panel instead of the transparent one. It suits the proportions and aggressive chopped top better. Other than the black engine block the entire motor is detailed in Metalizer and chrome paints of one sort or another. The drag ‘chute will be centered in the rear deck relief once it’s glued in place.
DSCF4059-web_zpsxqtlvl3x.jpg
DSCF4060-web_zpstukbzag4.jpg

Here are some shots of the completed chassis. It’s quite subdued and monochrome looking, almost industrial.
DSCF4069-web_zpsuq18wsyc.jpg
DSCF4073-web_zpskqju0sf2.jpg
DSCF4074-web_zpsnatoolmx.jpg

Here’s the print sheet for the decals. One of the benefits of making your own decals is you can easily and cheaply print duplicates for when (not if, in my case…) you screw up.
decal-printing-worksheet-web_zpsc86sgrdq

Edited by Bernard Kron

Thanks Bob!

This will be the last update before this project is done and the final “beauty shots” taken. With 48 hours to go before the Challenge deadline I think I’ll make it. There are still two windows to glue in, the usual minor polishing and cleanup to do, and other small details to attend to, such as dealing with the paint buildup on the edges of the roof panel so it sits properly, gluing some accessories into position, etc., etc.

Since the last update I made some additional decals, in particular a trade decal panel. I also fabricated a front wing using .060 styrene, which I filed into an airfoil shape. I then added .020 stock side plates. It mounts on the front axle. In the picture below it sits a bit too flat and will tip downward once it’s epoxied into place. I also decided on a light orange color for the window material to split the difference between the yellow and red in the decal scheme.

The composite picture below shows the wing . the window material, and various decal placements. Next stop completion!

Thanx for lookin’,
B.

Nice Fiat Dragster looks easy enough to make a similar FED. Make any other wild decals thanks steve.

Hey Buddy

Nice to see you're back at it again

This model looks great...I need to send ya some wire wheels, don't I?

Hope ya get it done in time

c'ya B)

I missed this one up 'til now. Comp Coupe was always one of my favorite classes, and your work here hits all the right notes for this kind of car (as usual). You have a real knack of getting just the right period feel. Beautiful.

Thanks everyone. It's all done and now I have to find time today to take the final photos. I kept adding small details right up to the very end (like decals on the front wing salvaged from the duplicates on  my master sheet...). No pics and post today and I'll still fail to make the deadline...

Steve, yeah there's not a whole lot of difference between these more evolved Competition Coups (and Roadsters) and a classic F.E.D.  But the look of these things is so cool! I very often make some of my own decals. In fact the fog panel paint job on the digger in my signature is done with decals. Wish I had an Alps, though...

Curt, it's too late now (and anyway I tried to limit myself to what I had on hand because of the deadline thing...). But we gotta work out Some Sort Of Arrangement...;) Glad you dig the build.

Bill, thanks for the compliment. Getting the "look and feel" has always been what it's about when I build my models. It's always possible to work within whatever limitations your skills and resources  might impose  at a given time, but what's the point if you don't get the message across? For me it's exploiting the salient details of the period I'm modeling. But the principal applies just as well for those who build Deals Wheels, rusty rods, showroom stock, sportscars, or whatever.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...