Model Cars Magazine Forum

'56 Ford custom

restoman

absolutly love it . paint looks great , colors are yum yum..

can i be hounest > not ment offensive but the mesh .. dont really think it suits the car .. i feel its very big scale wise .. would rather see some classy inserting in that earea ...

Not offensive in the least. :) I thought it was a little on the big side, too, but so far I haven't found anything that's better sized. Any ideas?

... so far I haven't found anything that's better sized. Any ideas?

There are a couple of links to PE egg-crate screen in several sizes on this thread...    http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/topic/109768-photoetch-egg-crate-screen/

Your paint looks great, so do your scallops, and your doors fit WAY better than most folks achieve with this kit. Nice work. :D

There are a couple of links to PE egg-crate screen in several sizes on this thread...    http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/topic/109768-photoetch-egg-crate-screen/

Your paint looks great, so do your scallops, and your doors fit WAY better than most folks achieve with this kit. Nice work. :D

Probably because I glued them shut... I fiddled with them and looked at some built versions and didn't like what I saw, so I went the Bo and Luke Duke way...

i would say make several horizontal bars inside the opening .. as thin as possible .. so not like as many as possible but so it looks balanced..

like this >

%7Boption%7Dhttp://www.texasclassiccarsofdallas.com/56 Ford Fairlane Club Victoria/DSC05956.jpg

56-Customliner-3.jpg

or maybe if you have some spare kit parts and can find something like this > or make something similair

0703cr-02-z%2Bkkoa-leadsled-spectacular%

Edited by crazyrichard

ps , i looked close again at your ford ... the opening is quite large .. if you could make a paper template that fits in the hole ... then you could make a surround first ... like a ridged edge around the opening .. this creates depth in that front ...would really set it off .. while the opening becomes a tad smaller ... and then like shose bars in there ..

you could may the tamplate down , make the surround .. bars in the surround and have like a one whole piece that fits in that gap .. so then you can paint or bmf or ... whatever and finish it and mount it in the opening ..

just a though hey .. only because imo the car looks so great and that paint is sooo cool .. it just deserves that extra .. the perfect grille ..

it would be like the jewelry that finishes the front

Edited by crazyrichard

I made template and tried a few different things but I kind of had my heart set on a floating center bar. 

I thought about using the filter cloth out of a paint strainer, but it was pretty floppy and I would need to build some kind of frame for it - like the surround you mention - so I bailed on that plan. Largely because the body was all ready painted. Next time I'll plan everything out first, before rushing to pick up the spray gun.

I'm not sure what a smaller opening would look like. The Ford is so block-ish looking from the front, i think the large opening is almost a requisite.

Thank  you for the comments. I enjoy your custom work and ideas! :)

I've got another of the same kit... maybe it'll end up as a custom as well.

Great start, awesome paint, I like the grill work. Can't wait to see more. I do agree that window screen looks just like that, window screen. And not to hijack your thread, but here's another way to maybe use it.

SAM_0444.thumb.JPG.fba3ffe69d98ae6055c98 This is a standard, metal screen repair patch, about 2" x 2", with 1/16" openings. Looks like window screen. But if you grab the opposing corners and pull, you can get

SAM_0448.thumb.JPG.7d19f6a2409711bddfe46  a cool diamond pattern, with a tighter opening. Of course, for something like the 56, you need a bigger piece to work with, but I've had decent results using this in smaller openings, even on curves.

• 3 weeks later...

My ivory and copper interior... wish I'd planned this a little better - brush painting two coats of ivory and three coats of copper finger nail polish isn't fun. Some better planning could have enabled me to airbrush when the weather was warmer. But it's as good as it's going to get and the interior should go in tomorrow.

56 ford interior 1.jpg

56 ford interior 2.jpg

Any thoughts about throwing some dull coat down to knock back that glossy look on the seats? It would make quite a difference IMO.

No. They're really not that glossy in real life, for some reason the camera makes 'em look like glass.

Next time I'll plan a little better and get all the airbrushing done before winter sets in... airbrushing would give a better sheen, I think.