Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT 1989 Batmobile rereleased

Drake69

I bought one on Saturday, just haven't taken it out of my trunk, let alone opened it yet. Can't wait to see your pics!

Waiting for the wife to get in a good mood, or go to sleep before you so you can sneak it in? lol 

I've switched to having her stop by the hobby shop and pick up my kits, I just tell her it was a model we talked about me getting it when it was released so I ordered it and it came in. She doesn't remember half of what we talked about when I say model car, so I can get away with it.

Edited by horsepower

Nice build, I seem to remember when that other magazine had a build contest and Marvel threatened to sue them for unapproved use of the car's name, so they changed the contest to use the kit's stock number in the name of the contest to get around it.

DC Comics, not Marvel. 

I built an original release of the kit way back when, I was never really satisfied with my work on it.  I'd love to try again, and apply techniques I've learned since then.  First thing, that chrome needs to come off, it's not at all accurate to the filming vehicle.  Shades of dark metals would work much better, I think.

Back in the early 90's. I threw myself a birthday party. Now I'm not a big fan of cake, so I didn't plan on having one. Well, a friend who is not a good cook at all, knew this and brought a cake to the party. Great. A cake. And made by somebody who can't cook very well. Well I was a gracious host and decided enjoy the cake the best I could.

Time comes sing happy birthday and blow out the candles. Then I go to cut the cake. It will not cut! No matter how hard I try. Finally I stabbed the cake. Right away I could tell something was not quite right, and my buddy was concerned that I may have damaged what it really was. It turns out he taken an '89 Batmobile model kit, wrapped in an extra layer of plastic. Then put frosting over that.

Well I was lucky. The knife penetrated the box, but did no damage to the kit itself. Sad to say, but somewhere along the line I've lost the box. But I still have the Batmobile sitting on a shelf in my living room today. Needless to say, it was the best birthday cake anybody has ever given me!