Model Cars Magazine Forum

Routemaster Car Transporter

Thank you guys again!
@Robert; I don't think so, Google didn't come up with anything. I know we do convert regular busses in transporters, but only for one car.

One week further and I was able to get some steps done, but the big steps that I could take before have been minimised to small detailwork.

I worked on windowframes on the divider, to give it a bit more depth

And added crossmembers for the ramps

Than started a long and tidious project, getting the ramps to hinge.

I used a fairly simple, but effective system in making my own hinges out of copper tubes

The top ramp has the same system, but over the whole length

The divider, the door opening got the same treatment too.

I wanted to make a compartiment for the hydraulic jacks that are needed for the ramps, because I want it to look a bit crude, but that's for later. I found quickly that this compartment is too small, or at least not deep enough

So I got it out again

This is something that I will be doing for quite some time through the project; filling!

The drivers side divider got changed too, since I want the driver to get into the workshop, I opened a hole

And gave it some steps.

Some more work on hinging, this is for the rear-ramp

The bus side of the rear ramp, which will get a mesh insert, so people can step on it.

The whole ramp, hinged closed

And hinged in rest position

Some strengthening for the hinges.

I use a long rod, that way I know everything will line up later on.

And the whole ramp, completely open.

Should be adequate haha

And in closed position.

• 1 month later...

Thank you guys!

After being quite sick and after that being rather busy with work and the holidays, I finally got to another update. Due to being busy, the progress has been little, but there was some stuff done.

Let me run you trough it.

I worked firstly a bit more on the ramps, they are basically ready to be painted, but since I want to give weathering somewhat a try, so I added a few pieces of BMF under the paint, allowing me to give somewhat a more realistic paint chip off at the ramps

The drivers compartment is painted and partly put together, being able to still weather it before final assembly

The undercarriage is somewhat dissappointing with detail, it could have more parts to give it more oompf, I tried with paint to pick up on some detail.

A box full of painted parts

The mainfloor is painted in a nice flashy color, I wanted to go a bit different haha

The engine is painted in different shades of Alclad

Because the floorpan is quite warped, I need a few clamps to get everything a bit straight.

I installed the engine inside the bus

And the other floorpan was warped too, so needed to clamp that as well

I hope it is visible, but I added paintsplatters to the floor, to create a bit of garagefeeling to it (not sure that even existed then)

I keep fitting throughout the build, just to make sure, since there is so much adjusted.

Because the drivers seat is not mounted to its backwall no more and is visible from the back, I closed it on the back

The drivers cabin a little further

And the first glimps on the exterior colors!

I've never been off the project, I just didn't had much time to work on it. I believe there has not been a project that I've been so commited too for such a long period.

The lower ramp is not fixed in the bus and the wheels are mounted, it is starting to give the transporter shape

And by now I reached a dilemma, I added the front part on it again and the top floor, even though I had in mind to make a fully closed of car transporter, I kinda like the looks of the transporter with no roof. What do you guys think?

• 4 weeks later...

Thank you guys for the input, it made a difficult decission a bit easier. With top is the way to go!

I had yesterday finally some time to work on the project again, I haven't been able to give it the time I wished I could.
But I am grateful that I made some progress yesterday. I worked yesterday mainly on scratchbuilding some new bodyparts. I had to add bodypanels to the rear, where they were too short or non-existing.

I added the lower 'walls'

And added BMF to the upper rail

Then I started to mock-up the body as much as I could, that way I am able to get the right measurements for the new bodypanels.

As you can see, there is quite a gap in the back

And a smaller one on the right side.

With roof and the mock-up car inside