Model Cars Magazine Forum

Shelby Cobra 427 S/C

talon63

Currently on the bench is this 1:24 Shelby Cobra

SAM_0180.thumb.JPG.f591474c4a60cee5e1db5

in the foreground is the ragtop I formed using dampened construction paper pressed down over the kit plastic top. The finish is achieved by brushing on Pledge Floor Care (Future) acrylic floor wax during the drying process. 

SAM_0179.thumb.JPG.40fbf136a44d54f846578Here you will see the almost complete chassis in the back, with the mostly complete engine. In the foreground is the interior build out. Tried to get a leather look on the seats, and have them show slight wear, as well as adding carpet, door panels, and a turn signal lever. There is even a panel created behind the seats to hide the battery, and will eventually have a speaker grill between the seats.

SAM_0178.thumb.JPG.339a0d67af3e333464f17

Feedback is always appreciated.

That looks like a good idea on that convertible top. Hmmm.:hmm:

I used the kit top as a mold. The acrylic floor wax brushed on during the drying process allows it to maintain it's shape and resist future moisture exposure.

Here is the paper top along-side the original molded plastic. 

SAM_0183.thumb.JPG.128b2c83d1f581ff9b87e

I do wrap the edges, as seen in the next pic, and those metal rods on the right will be used to fashion the top frame as soon as I track down a good image of a real one. 

SAM_0182.thumb.JPG.d8645946dde8111119026Here is the underside of the top, requiring some cleanup, and the creation of the frame and front header bar, and the rear glass. I haven't decided if I'm going to use the kit window for a glass effect, or make it more like a cheap rag-top with thin clear plastic.

SAM_0185.thumb.JPG.ebb320bc4dbde2050051fThat is looking real nice!  What color did you paint the interior?  Love the color, reminds me of a recents Mercedes color called tobacco,  

It's a Testors' water-based brown, applied in several layers as a wash, so final finished appearance is slightly mottled, hopefully looking like leather. Here you can also see the turn signal lever, made from a repurposed micro-paintbrush end. Once the brush is useless I cut it off, and then cut back a bit to make the lever. The door panel inserts are painted balsa, and the carpets/mats and the piece behind the seats are from the same paper I made the ragtop from, painted with the same paint used elsewhere for the intterior. Still need to complete the steering column to continue through the firewall.

Edited by talon63