Model Cars Magazine Forum

(Nearly) Completed 1962 Willys Jeep PU replica

Zoom Zoom

My replica of my uncle's '62 Jeep PU is nearly complete; I still need to work on the exhaust and chassis a bit and I'll add some yard equipment to the bed, and perhaps some pastel weathering but it's mostly done. A few more hours of piddling and I'll call it a day. I'll also scratchbuild some better wipers to mount over the molded ones. I will also make a "4 Wheel Drive" white decal for the tailgate when I get a chance using a friend's Alps printer.

This model was a pleasure to work on, from subject matter to working with finishing techniques well outside of my normal area of comfort. I'm very happy with it's result, it's amazing how this model really captures the feel of a vehicle that I have fond memories from 30+ years ago. It was a work truck that was always rode hard and put up wet, and soldiered on in their family for 20 years. After I keep it and show it for awhile I'll give it to my cousins if they want it. I don't think they fully realize what became of the search for a good photo a couple months ago :)

I scratchbuilt the taillight mounts, used radiator hose to fashion the fuel inlet, spark plug wire and heater hose tubing to make the tailgate cables, a VW bus gave it's rear view mirrror, I used Rustall and Instant Rust to help detail the chassis. The dark teal color is two shades of HOK pearl basecoats (teal and jade) applied over a rust colored base coat (to purposely sand through in a few areas), the lighter green color is a military flat green mixed w/some white. The whole deal was clearcoated w/Acryl gloss clear, and then given an artist's oil wash (mixed with mineral spirits) to dirty it up, and sealed w/Acryl flat clear once I was happy w/the wash. A bit of thinned dirt-colored acrylic flat paint was applied overall w/my airbrush, especially to the wheels/tires/chassis. A few details aren't 100% accurate for a '62, namely the grille and tailgate, but I'm not too worried over that.

Here's where I started:

JeepPU1-vi.jpg

And here it is today:

Jeep4-vi.jpg

Jeep5-vi.jpg

Jeep6-vi.jpg

Jeep7-vi.jpg

Jeep8-vi.jpg

Jeep9-vi.jpg

Nice!!!!!!!!

That looks great!!!!

Any pictures under the hood??

Thanks! It's curbside, nothing but air under the hood :wink:

Here's the model w/more stuff added; lawnmower, gas can, rake, shovel, wipers, and I also added the exhaust but haven't rusted it yet. I'll shoot a picture of the chassis when that is done.

Jeep10-vi.jpg

Jeep11-vi.jpg

Jeep12-vi.jpg

Very nice! Love the accesories in the back. That rake is different to the Arter's rake :D

A distant relative of my wife has one in very VERY bad shape in a farm under a tree, and somebody just paid a lot of money for it for a restoration project.

Thanks,

Lookin great, Bob ... a very neat model that I'm sure is very special to you!

Who makes that kit, anyway?

Thanks!

This resin was from All American Models, the donor kit was a Spec Cast Jeep panel wagon. I had to scratchbuild the missing rear fenders from the kit that I bought at a store that had taken it as a trade.

RMR (I don't have a contact, they do sell on Ebay) has one of these style Jeep PU's in their resin lineup.

[

Thanks! It's curbside, nothing but air under the hood :wink:

Here's the model w/more stuff added; lawnmower, gas can, rake, shovel, wipers, and I also added the exhaust but haven't rusted it yet. I'll shoot a picture of the chassis when that is done.

WOW very nice indeed!!!! now thats a awesome build!!!

Hey Irv! i found your rake!!! but its painted john deere green now......... :twisted:

J/K

:D

wow how cool! and it doesnt seem it took long to get together, or maybe

i missed something. im impressed someone can put something as nice as that in so short a time!

Thanks! This was a quick one, I worked on it for about a week and a half but I have been planning it in the back of my head for about 5 years. All the paint and weathering techniques used don't require any long drying times nor are they labor-intensive (this seemed easier and was more fun than my usual gloss paint jobs that require lots of wetsanding and polishing), and my dehydrator saves me a lot of time too. When I'm in the right mood I build pretty quick :D and this was definitely a labor of love! It's one of my favorite builds of all time due to the subject matter. I can't wait to see what my cousins think about it :wink:

Thanks guys!

The lawnmower/yard stuff came from a similar Jeep as the one that was the basis for this resin transkit. It was a John Deere diecast stake truck (dated from 1999) that had these items. Terry Jesse wrote about it when it was new, I found one and got it.

• 12 years later...