Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/16 Volkswagen Transporter Samba Bus

So, after a long period of waiting after the rumours started, the moment was finally there, I got my hands on the new Revell Samba bus. It is an all new tooling kit, but there is more new than just that.

Starting with the boxart, it has a new style for the European Revell modelkits, I have seen it on a few more new models, so I guess it is the new corporate style for the European market. As usual, it has a very nice box-art on it.

The box is also nicely filled, what a good thing is, is that the box is perfect in size. The parts are not cramped together, nor completely loose.

Next are the many sprues, all are nicely packed. No more than 2 sprues in one plastic bag.

The chromepieces are packed seperate

The decals seems to be nice, but for this size of a kit, I would've expected more decals

Unfortunately, the clearparts are packed together, I would've liked to see that they were seperate.

As you can see, the 1/16 is based upon the same construction as the 1/24 ones, multipiece body, but it is more detailed

And another new for Revell; a new style manual. In colour!

I must say that I really like it, these are the color outings

And this is the new style construction drawings. They have been using 3D digital drawings for a while now, but with adding color, it looks so much nice.

I am very happy with what I have found in the box. The parts look nice and I have no doubt they will fit together nicely.

However; I am somewhat dissappointed in the little detail on the technical side (engine, suspension etc...) They could've gone a few steps further in this scale. But it does look better than the 1/12 Mustang.

I also find the price a bit steep, over here the going rate is 70 euro's retail. I have seen a little lower prices, but still around the same ball game. I think 50 or so, would be a bit fairer in price.

Great in box review.It looks to be about 90% the same as the 1/24.

Agree about the level of detail.Very much like a diecast in places.

Good to see they are using a proper box an not the awful end opening carton.

Two quick questions please,are either of the main floor/chassis parts twisted and is there a copyright date on them ? Thanks

No, All parts seems to be pretty straight, even for those big pieces.

And I have not seen a copyright date on them, but haven't looked very much into each single part. Although I would think there would be a date somewhere.

I don't think it looks 90% the same, even though it appears to be the same, all the parts are more detailled than the 1/24 counterpart.

It is not as similar as the 1/12 Mustang and the 1/24

Edited by The Creative Explorer

Just noticed, three different styles of  Bumpers. None on the Chrome tree though.

I wonder if there will be a US / California version kitted, with Chrome Bumpers and California Lic Plate decals. Be nice to have but I don't know it it will ever happen.

What year excatly is this bus? My Folks had a new 62/63 Bus when I was born. Might be worth buying one of these kits to build for them. They called her "Boo Boo, the Baby Bus" They didn't sell her until I was about 11-12. I rember helping my dad rebuild the engine on the Kitchen table when In was 7-8 years old. It was the most "Interesting Thing" I'd ever seen, up until then. I remeber playing on the floor with the old Pistons, Conn Rods, and Wrist Pins. Wonderful stuff for an 8 yr old boy!

There are only 2 bumpers mentioned in the booklet, so that indicates there will be more 1/16 transporter vans in the future. I put my money on a panelvan, looking at those bumpers.

About the US version, it is in the box. Those bumpers with extra guards are for the USA version, but you have to make your own licenseplate and chrome the bumpers. But that has to happen with the Euro version too.

• 5 years later...
On 12/19/2015 at 7:14 AM, Mark said:

I already have too many VW Type 1s in 1/24 and 1/25 scale...but, will be looking for one of these nevertheless...

Not sure if you picked one up yet, but for anyone interested in doing so, here's where I bought mine. It took the full 14 days to ship after I placed my order, and there's no tracking for your package when you use the cheapest two methods, but it arrived almost exactly one month after my order was placed:

https://www.shop4megastore.com/model-kits/vw-t1-samba-bus-cars-116-level-5-revell-model-kit

I looked on eBay for a few weeks, and didn't want the newer Technic kit with the working lights, so this was a good option for me.

collectables-and-hobbies-model-kits-vw-t1-samba-bus-cars-116-level-5-revell-model-kit.jpg.7643d92089edd4b232ce922f74650593.jpg

On 12/26/2015 at 1:55 AM, The Creative Explorer said:

There are only 2 bumpers mentioned in the booklet, so that indicates there will be more 1/16 transporter vans in the future. I put my money on a panelvan, looking at those bumpers.

Erik, did you purchase the panel van version, too?

Edited by Casey

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
18 hours ago, The Creative Explorer said:

I am sorry my pictures can't be seen anymore, don't know exactly why they are gone.  Since I can not edit that post anymore, I can't restore it either.

Send a PM to one of the Admins, they may be able to help with back-editing your post.

David G.

• Like 1