Model Cars Magazine Forum

1979 Ford F150 Flareside 4x4

I was inspired on christmas eve by this Matchbox diecast. A Flareside Pickup as it says on the underside, red with flames, big wheels, sidepipes, rollbar on the bed and a bullbar on the front. I started to do some work on the evening of christmas day and started with the Model King issue of the AMT 73-79 pickup kit, bed from Revell 56 Ford and wheels from MPC (these from Mountain Goat Jeep kit).

I have so far shortened the frame, lifted the suspension with blocks between the axle and spring in the rear and scratchbuilt coilsprings upfront (steelwire round a screwdriver). This is the first mockup and I think it will look great but there is a ton of work still to do. You can see my inspiration in the front.

Anymore picts of the rim/tires? Im currently working on the 99 silverado kit. Im lifting it and putting in a straight axle in the front. Im currently going to use the wheels out of the revell jeep kit. But those rims look quite similar to my fuel mavericks on my actual truck I drive. 

Ok, I think I have found an engine I want to put in this now. The 460/5,7L from an old Monogram F250 gluebomb that I got but does anyone have any nice ideas for performanceparts to add on to it?

The 429 from the latest revell 70 torino kit is an exact stand-in for a 460 and has nice ford motorsport valve covers. It's possible the headers could be modified to fit but I haven't tried yet...

mike

Thank you very much for the pictures Tom and thank you Mike for the tip on the Torino. I don't have that kit myself but i will see what I can find in my stash.

Here is some pictures of the rim and tire. Very difficult to get the details to come out in the pictures so I had to alter the exposure. I think these wheels are also in the 1:20 Ford van that the reissued not long ago but in that one I belive they are chromed.

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you very much. I painted the wood with Humbrol number 61 Matt flesh first and then Humbrol Clear Orange on top. Gives a nice effect of varnished wood. One can also get darker color of wood by using a slightly darker basecolor at first and if one wants an unvarnished look one can use a darkbrown wash instead of the clear orange.

• 2 weeks later...

Another small update. The wheels that I have shown earlier are from the Moun't Goat Jeep kit and I also have a gluebomb MPC 1:20 Ford 4x4 van that I thought had the same wheels only in chrome. Turns out they are not the same. The Ford van wheels are deeper and since I want a chrome edge with a black center and deep wheels I will use them. I will also use the tires from it as they have already white painted letters on them. And here they are, with black painted centers:

• 2 weeks later...

Progress is slow but moving forward atleast. I have been sanding the cab, removed the trim on the rockerpanels and added the driprails above and behind the doors aswell as the upper part of the windscreenframe/rubberseal.
Still some work left on this before it is ready for paint.
IMG_7579_resize.jpg
IMG_7577_resize.jpg

Edited by Atmobil