Model Cars Magazine Forum

Who Kitted This Drag Car

69NovaYenko

To all, thanks for the response. With the info you good folks provided I was able to locate the kit.

images.thumb.jpg.e702e18f421dcb787fd8e2b

I see from the above photo this drag car is NOT a fictional Pro-Sportsman but, a REAL drag car. So far my web search has only turned up duplicate images of this car wheel standing.Can anyone tell us who campaigns the real 1:1 car.

Edited by 69NovaYenko

Its just exactly that,A 55 Chevy Revell,pro street car.I guess they came out about 10-15 years ago.There is also a 57 Revell pro street Chevy.The two cars are pretty good kits.The roll cage always sucked on them,however..It did have a nice set of tubs,And chassis....Anyway Happy New Year,to all my fellow car model nutz.

Revell did 4 Pro Sportsman cars back in the early 1990's all based on the same basic tooling, the Soff Seal '57 Chevy driven by Rob Vandergriff, the Camaro Junction/Boyds Wheels '55 Chevy driven by Charles Carpenter, the '55 Jukebox Ford driven by Norm Wizner and the Christine '58 Plymouth driven by  Richard Earle/Dave Heitz.
Revell reissued the '55 and '57 Chevy's in the Street Burner series with generic decals not that long ago and the Jukebox '55 Ford is out now in the Motor Sports Series..or has been since 2013.
The Pro Sportsman class was the fore runner, and evolved to the Pro Mod class we have today..

Edited by Force

Dam Force,I'm impressed.You really know your models.I forgot about the 55 JukeBox Ford,and the Soft Seal 57 Chevy car.I do remember watching both those cars on ESPN's coverage of NHRA drag racing back in the day,along with the Christine car.

Dam Force,I'm impressed.You really know your models.I forgot about the 55 JukeBox Ford,and the Soft Seal 57 Chevy car.I do remember watching both those cars on ESPN's coverage of NHRA drag racing back in the day,along with the Christine car.

Well I have all of them so that's probably an advantage.;)
I have been a big fan of drag racing since I came in contact with it in person in 1978 and "experienced" a nitro car for the first time in my life,  I was hooked and I have bought most of the drag racing inspired model kits in the last 25 years, and a few even before that.

Revell did 4 Pro Sportsman cars back in the early 1990's all based on the same basic tooling, the Soff Seal '57 Chevy driven by Rob Vandergriff, the Camaro Junction/Boyds Wheels '55 Chevy driven by Charles Carpenter, the '55 Jukebox Ford driven by Norm Wizner and the Christine '58 Plymouth driven by  Richard Earle/Dave Heitz.
Revell reissued the '55 and '57 Chevy's in the Street Burner series with generic decals not that long ago and the Jukebox '55 Ford is out now in the Motor Sports Series..or has been since 2013.
The Pro Sportsman class was the fore runner, and evolved to the Pro Mod class we have today..

Thanks for replying to my question...appropriate you sharing your knowledge on the subject.

Well that's not really nesessary as Revell did a Pro Mod style 57 Chevy and it should not be that hard to find as it was reissued in the Street Burner series not that long ago.
To modify the Mongoo$e 57 Chevy FC body to a Pro Mod body takes a lot of work.

Jesse is on to something... hope you all noticed that the Roofer's Toy has a longer wheelbase and the body is more aero than the Revell '57 Chevy Pro Sportsman...

Pro Mod started as an exhibition class with a few 1955 and 1957 Chevy's with real Chevy steel bodies on real Chevy frames - kind of an outlaw run what you brung deal.  Carburetors and gasoline, but lots of cubic inches.  As it evolved into a real racing class, later model cars with tube frames and plastic bodies started showing up.  To be competitive, the shoe-box Chevies also started changing. Somebody figured out a modified McEwen funny car body or something similar would work realty well... put some doors on it, open up the front end  - yep, that'll work  - and then things have changed from there...

The Revell sportsman kit represents something that is somewhere between the early stock bodied cars and the aero bodies Like Roofer's Toy that came later - Don't get me wrong, the early cars are still cool - saw the Ron Harding Movers stock bodied '57 run 7.35 @ 192 MPH at SIR - beyond impressive.

If your looking for a Top Sportsman 1957 Chevrolet, the Revell kit is the way to go - If you want the later, aero 1957 Chevrolet, (without having the kits in hand to confirm) it looks like the McEwen funny car body on a lengthened Revell Pro Sportsman chassis would be a good place to start.

The Wandergriff Soff Seal 57 Chevy was heavliy modified too and quite far from a stock body as it's quite a bit smaller, but it was not modified as much as the Roofer's Toy car, the top might be chopped more, the rear fenders are a bit higher, the front fenders are slightly longer and it's a bit more wedge shaped than the Wandergriff car done by Revell.
Wandergriff had a more radical bodied 57 Chevy later. 
There is something with the FC body proportions that's bugging me, the roof looks to be too far back and the same goes for the front wheel openings, the roof is also too high and the front is too long, so it has to be modified quite a bit to look like the Roofer's Toy car, but a combination of the two might be the way to go.

Edited by Force

• 4 years later...
On 3/9/2020 at 11:04 PM, Ron Harding, Jr. said:

That was a lot of fun! It was at this race. Ron Harding
89493489_10156911044025857_8623393589826

Thanks for stopping in.  it was a lot of fun to watch, too.  My memory is less than perfect these days, but I hope I'm close.  It was at Seattle and I had just parked and walked to the top end during Friday qualifying.    First car that went by - running in the 9.90 class and half a track ahead of the car in the other lane.  That was a fassst car!  What just happened - what the... a '57 Chevy, then the announcer gave the time.  It was in the days when racers could make as many qualifying runs as possible and it must have been fun because the car kept running those killer times without drama on multiple passes.   Over and over, 190 mph.  Finally, Saturday afternoon, the car starting running 9.90's and got dialed in for Sunday. It was not only quick, but it was competitive and went at least three rounds on Sunday before breaking on the line and being pushed back.  I don't remember much else about that race except some friends went to the semi's in Comp Eliminator.  Thank you for the memories - one of the most awesome things that I've seen at a drag race.