Model Cars Magazine Forum

I have an issue..... ANYONE?????

Well guys, YEAH, not that kinda issue BUT close LOL

I got these for Christmas:

super%20swamper%20tsl%20bogger%20resin-8

From BnL resins, they're these:

http://www.b-n-lresins.com/shoppingopencart/Aftermarket-resin-cast-1-24-1-25-scale-hobby-model-tires-tracks/Aftermarket-resin-cast-1-24-1-25-scale-hobby-model-super-swamper-tsl-bogger-tires

I'm NOT concerned on the tires being single-sided, I'm going to file off the names and the molded pour area. I plan to make the tread the correct way, BOTH sides. BUT the issue I have is the danged holes in them for rims. I "THOUGHT" I had rims that fit these, turns out they aren't even close. SO, thats the reason for this posting, what rims does fit these (if anyone knows) and what kits MAY have something? I'm trying to get rims to fit that are "Mopar" BUT if I can get/find a decent set of Aluminum/Chrome slot rims, OR Aluminum/chrome holes, I'd call it good, I'm NOT wanting ANY "Steelies" as I've seen. I'll get measurements on the hole size that the rim must be to fit if needed. BUT if anyone knows, PLEASE post here what they used, with pictures so I can see what they might look like for the build I plan to use these on!

I'd LOVE to find a set of these that are kit parts in vinyl but I don't even know what kit they're from, SO if anyone knows that, PLEASE post that as well!

Thanks for lookin' everyone, much appreciated!

Edited by 426-Hemi
URL not working right

Thanks guys! Hole diameter is 3/4 inch or 18MM. INSIDE wheel the lip of the wheel not to exceed 19MM. A line thickness over 3/4 inch.

Brian, NOPE I ain't got a single Funny Car or Pro-Stock car! -Most my cars are "stock"..... These however going on a Dream Truck" build of mine.....

The site the wheels came from has 65 different styles of wheels available......................just sayin' and they look good too.

This is true, BUT, not the type I'm looking for......... I'm looking for specifics, as I mentioned Slot type wheels as well as hole type wheels..... I'd LOVE to find Mopar "Rallye" rims to fit, but thats a long shot with how big they would need to be, (I have a set from the Monogram '71 Hemi 'Cuda), which are 1/24th scale and still fall right through the tire! -Tires once together will be going on a 1/25th scale '78 Dodge Power Wagon I'm building...... -Out of those 3 type rims, mentioned, I'll hold out some hope for one of the 3 types.....

I am however, going to see what the die-cast area might have to offer!

Well... all I can recommend is to keep your eyes open for the So Real sets online. Bad news is they were only sold as wheel/tire sets- not individually. I haven't seen the BNL So Real repops in person, could be they just don't look as impressive in raw resin. As far as I know So Real stopped marketing the wheel/tire sets about a decade ago. I'm still kicking myself for only getting the one set. 

I hear ya! I will keep my eyes open OR, I'll set out to make/master my own rim to fit...... That is, if I don't find anything!

As far as So Real making them and stopping a decade ago, nah...... I hear ya they don't look right in raw resin, BUT I bet once painted they will look AWESOME. just have an eye for it, and where else do you find the Super Swampers otherwise? (you don't!) Not in scale at least.....

If ya don't mind me asking, what did they sell for a decade ago if ya can remember? (I know that might be asking alot) but I just gotta know! I just..... gotta know what I missed out on way back when!

I MAY (I stress that word "MAY")  set out to cut out an insert to fit the tire on my lathe, and make a set of my LARGEST "Mopar Rallye's" fit these tires, that how set-on this I am. Stubborn, yeah. ask my wife LOL

The So Reals are Ebay from time to time for $30-$50. Scenes Unlimited has rubber casts that are nicer than the originals. They also have some rims, but from what you are describing, they are probably not what you are looking for either. If you are skilled with the lathe, that is probably your best bet. I too, have a hard time finding rims for 4x4s in the styles that I want. Your other choice would probably look better if you could pull it off. Since the tires are resin, you may could make a plastic insert, then sand it and mold it into the rest of the tire to get it closer a 15" instead of an 18". That is something that I have always wanted to try, but have not been brave enough to tackle it.

Edited by DRIPTROIT 71

The So Reals are Ebay from time to time for $30-$50. Scenes Unlimited has rubber casts that are nicer than the originals. They also have some rims, but from what you are describing, they are probably not what you are looking for either. If you are skilled with the lathe, that is probably your best bet. I too, have a hard time finding rims for 4x4s in the styles that I want. Your other choice would probably look better if you could pull it off. Since the tires are resin, you may could make a plastic insert, then sand it and mold it into the rest of the tire to get it closer a 15" instead of an 18". That is something that I have always wanted to try, but have not been brave enough to tackle it.

-Yeah, I've seen them on ebay AFTER I seen them from BnL resins a while back and just "gulped" and went yeah, I thought BnL was expensive, who was I kidding!!!??? (to myself) LOL

Scenes Unlimited, you have a link to these by them?

Yeah, I'm being an A-hole on the rims, I know.... I'm just "dead-set" on a specific "look" on the truck I have planned. -You go and have a look at my "Dream Truck Dodge build...... Thats where these are goin'!!!!! See:

http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/topic/107712-my-dream-truck-from-the-late-1990s/

These Super Swampers are going on this truck ----^

Thats why I'm being so intent on rim and look.....

Thing is, I am good on the lathe, look at some of the things on the engines I build and you'll see, A LOT of round parts, I machine myself. SO, the thought of making a insert to fit that tire, and then fitting a rim to that makes a bit more sense to me BUT if I go that route, NOTHING will be set in stone till I'm happy with it. (the fit has to be able to slip in and out easily for me to test this idea). I refuse to ruin these tires..... While I'm at it, I may even machine out a set of fender flares, to accommodate the tire width to the truck too just to look good, you know? We'll see!

I did go have a look at the rims BnL has for these tires, and sadly, I'm not interested, they're too........ "new" -ish for what I'm looking to do (Saying if I "HAD" to choose something, otherwise!

See, theres a story that goes with all this..... The Dodge "Dream Truck" OK? WELL that all started recently, YES, BUT the memory that got me thinking, was way back in the 1990's. My cousin & I used to build models, together regularly, Scott is still around mind you, we talk often, BUT, he was a big Chevy kid. Nothing wrong with that, we both were into "Off-Road" stuff, we both had subscriptions to "Off-Road Magazine" too.... WELL in one of the issues way back when (I can not even remember the month, or year of it right now) but there was this truck. a '55 Chevy Step-Side, GORGEOUS truck might I add, that was lifted, sitting on what I think I remember reading a Chevy Suburban 4x4 frame, shortened to fit the '55 Chevy 1 ton, that was painted Yellow, had a LS-6, 454 in it, supercharged, just all out, down-right one hellofa 4x4 show truck.... That they used for 4 wheelin'..... The title to the article was "Dr. Roost". We both LOVED what/whoever built that truck (I do to this very day), and I mentioned this to him recently and he too still recalls the love we had and money spent to get models to each build one of those trucks! -Anyway, we set out to model that great lookin' '55 Chevy..... The one thing neither of us could find? Super Swamper TSL Bogger tires!!!!!!! NO WAY, NO HOW.....-They weren't EVER made back then! IF I recall right, the date on that magazine issue was early to mid 1990's, I'd almost have to say somewhere 1992-ish. But anyway, thats the one detail we could NOT get right for that truck. "Dr. Roost" had 44 inch Super Swampers on it.....NO fender flares at all, plain ole Yellow, but TON & TONS of chrome..... Actually the Testors "yellow" 1114 is and was a perfect match for color of this truck...... WELL, now fast forward to the present day........... I'm a Dodge or well "Mopar fanatic" even was back then too! (I built A LOT of Mopar cars back then) BUT I built A LOT of other models too....... Now, I've refined myself to "Mopar only" because of a promise I had to make to get back into the hobby LOL (whole other story) SO, what I've done, is take my Mopar favorite truck, a '78 Power Wagon, giving it the works, and taking the remembering & love of "Dr. Roost" and incorporating it into this "Dream Truck" Dodge! I found the Super Swamper tires from BnL Resins WAY before this truck EVER became a real world item..... BUT kept in mind if I got the truck, ('78 Little Red Express), THIS truck would start to become a reality! And, well, here it is! Hence why I got those tires.... HOWEVER, my memory faded a bit over time but if I recall right Dr. Roost had polished Aluminum "Holes" on it......BUT I can't be 100% on that, but because I'm a Mopar guy, I just think a set of Mopar "Rallye" rims would look AWESOME wrapped in 44" Super Swamper tires!!!! Then stuffed on a '78 Dodge Power Wagon, with a few "extra's"......

I have mentioned this build to my cousin Scott, and he was like if we could have only found those tires way back when and put them on Dr. Roost we would have had a KILLER replica of that truck, and really, we did have the best we could get, (I think the 2 of us spent something to the tune of $50 at the hobby shop) to model that truck, we bought full kits for specific parts for that one build, when all said and done I think the 2 of us had 4 or 5 model kits only missing select parts!!!! BUT, we were having fun making the owner rich LOL Scott still has his model of the truck..... Mine however went through a nasty fate, and I lost it in a house fire about 6 years ago..... -I don't even have a picture of it to share but, thats all part of the faded memory I guess!

Long reply, but, I thought I had to share some light on why I'm so dead-set on the look I'm trying to get with the rims on these tires, for that truck....

Thanks Brian..... I'll be giving a look through what Scenes Unlimited has to offer! As for the build, yes, I'd LOVE to see more old school stuff too, for me tho, "Old school predates 1980..... LOL (No I'm not "that old" but old enough to know the 70's was a KILLER time for ALL 3 of the Big 3...... Myself, I'd LOVE to see more '50's Mopars..... Theres only a select few made! And to add to it, MORE Dodge trucks then whats been made and more years of them! Its sad to see how few there really are in 1/25th and even 1/24th scales!

John, a little imagination and a few aluminum sleeves (or make your own from styrene oversize rims) will net you the results you seek:

The two white wheels at the 9 & 3 O'clock positions are cast by our very own Casey. The one at the 12 O'clock position is an aluminum sleeve with a Walker Evans center by a long out-of-business caster. The final one at the 6 O'clock position is another sleeve with a sanded down Revell '41 Willys gasser front five-slot. 

IMG_4012.JPG

In this shot, the rear is a styrene sleeve made from a large diameter rim I didn't have any other use for. The forward one is yet another sleeve with a Revell '70 'Cuda rallye rim sanded down and dull-coated.

Dig into that parts box!!! ;)

IMG_4020.JPG

Edited by jeffs396

• 1 month later...

The stock rims in any of the old MPC Dodge 4X4 kits are 3/4" and also the 8-spoke rims in the older MPC Jeep Commando measure 3/4".

MVC247S-vi.jpg

MVC245S-vi.jpg

Jeep_Commando_Off_Road_MPC_1_0912_25th.jpg

Thanks for posting this but sadly, I don't have any one of the old MPC Dodge truck kits (Only the AMT-Ertl Little Red Express Dodge trucks) And to that, the rims I see from what ya posted well.......... I'm not looking for "spoked" rims, I'm more looking/leaning toward the Mopar Rallye's rims found on say a Monogram '70 Dodge Challenger -Just for the looks of it! IF not those rims, I'd settle on a set of Chrome or Aluminum Sloted rims, but thats about it, (I'm REALLY trying for a specific look here)..... So please forgive my anal-ness to the rim type and look..... -I MAY (and I do stress "MAY" here, I MAY think about a sort of directional type rim, kinda like a star, but 3 "arms" in a twisted sort of fashion..... BUT thats a slim chance, as I'm really set on the Mopar Rallye rims in these tires!