Model Cars Magazine Forum

1940 Ford standard coupe with AMT parts

junkyardjeff

It started out with a deluxe coupe body and the sedan fenders with the 39 grille and hood,motor is a Y block from a AMT 56 kit hooked to the original 40 trans like what was done back in the 50s. Its going to look like someone pulled the flathead back in 56 and installed a new 56 motor,no chrome on the motor and will be a stock 56 motor. I found a Revell 40 standard glue bomb to get the correct standard hubcaps.

100_6785.JPG

Edited by junkyardjeff
added more words

It looks like I will have to grind a slot in the oil pan to clear the metal axle to get the motor to sit low enough that the original 56 air cleaner will not hit the hood. One would think that the parts would interchange easily from the coupe,sedan and sedan delivery but there were a few little modifications that were needed.

Edited by junkyardjeff
added more words

Looks really good, Y-block looks like it was made for it.  Funny even before the release of the Revell 40, not many modelers kit bashed the Deluxe into the Standard, the work to do it right was always worth it.  Well now you have the makings of a Deluxe Tudor to keep you busy after this one!

I am going to use 40 headlights and this one was built with parts I got off ebay and a local hobby shop plus parts in stock,I did not buy any complete kits to build this one and a couple years ago bought the sedan kit and built it as a 40 standard,I have another 39 hood and grille so I see a standard sedan delivery in the future. The Y block is a tight fit and only needs a slot ground in the front of the oil pan,if I did not want to use the 56 aircleaner and tall teapot carb I could have made it fit without the slot.