Model Cars Magazine Forum

Back to the Future... or what's old is new again!

The Low Volume Manufacturers Act was just signed by the President. It allows a company to produce a small amount of replica cars per year. So you could conceivably see complete Porsche 356s or 66 Mustangs or something running around. The only requirement that I can remember says the original must have been made at least 25 years ago.

The Low Volume Manufacturers Act was just signed by the President. It allows a company to produce a small amount of replica cars per year. So you could conceivably see complete Porsche 356s or 66 Mustangs or something running around. The only requirement that I can remember says the original must have been made at least 25 years ago.

Right. And the new ones/replicas don't have to meet safety standards (but they do have to meet emissions standards). So buyer beware.

My memory may be foggy, but back about twenty year ago, there was a Car and Driver article about a guy in Houston or someplace who had bought all the leftover De Loreans parts. I wonder if this is the same guy. If I recall, when they auctioned off the remains of the company, he got all the unbuilt cars, parts and naming rights and everything. They said he had enough parts to build 30 or 40 complete cars.

Interesting development, but I dunno.  They are forecasting a $100,00 new car price when originals are selling in the $20-40,000 range.  

A Little Freudian Slip there Tom!? You only provided enough Zero's for One Hunderd Dollars, which for me would be about right for a Delorean.:P

A Little Freudian Slip there Tom!? You only provided enough Zero's for One Hunderd Dollars, which for me would be about right for a Delorean.:P

One zero short!  I type faster than this site will accept text.  I find myself missing a letter or a digit all the time.

My neighbor had a Delorean back in the day.  A bit under powered,  a living pain in the tail to get in and out of.  The new one will need electric doors that open quickly... every Delorean owner occasionally gets smacked in the head... I guess they deserve a smack in the head.

Edited by Tom Geiger

One zero short!  I type faster than this site will accept text.  I find myself missing a letter or a digit all the time.

Not an issue Tom. Heck I'm generally a couplea cards short of a Full Deck.

My neighbor had a Delorean back in the day.  A bit under powered,  a living pain in the tail to get in and out of.  The new one will need electric doors that open quickly... every Delorean owner occasionally gets smacked in the head... I guess they deserve a smack in the head.

I had a Company CEO that had one. Let's just say they suited each other.....

Edited by Crazy Ed

I predict they will sell maybe a half dozen before folding... there can't be that many Back to the Future fans out there willing to splash $100k on a mediocre 80s car.   

They would if the upgraded engine choice is a good one. Ford has a pretty sharp V6 now, so does Chrysler.