Model Cars Magazine Forum

Anyone ever airbrushed automotivetouchup.com paint?

So, I've just got my new airbrush and want to paint my current MK 4 Supra the correct Royal Sapphire Blue Pearl.  I think I may use the Tamiya TS51 Racing Blue, but I'd love for the color to be a dead match to Toyota's color.

My question is, has anyone ever used the 2oz. liquid touchup from automotivetouchup.com to spray through their airbrush?  Here is a link to what I'm looking at. http://www.automotivetouchup.com/store/2oz_touch-up_paints/2_oz_basecoat.aspx

If you guys have used any of this, how much did you thin it and with what....also what clear coat have used with it?

Edited by lghtngyello03

I never dealt with these guys, but I have bought paint from PaintScratch.com. It was a bad experience, it is not pre-thinned for airbrushing so I had to purchase their thinners as well. Not sure which thinners they sent, but it was very fast drying. Properly thinned the paint was drying before it hit the surface. Save yourself some trouble and just order from:

• Scale Finishes (Jameston can do Basecoat as well if you request it, love the stuff),
  • Gravity Colors(Mat will custom mix a color if you do not see it listed, min 2 bottles),
  • ZeroPaints (available at http://www.hobbyworld-usa.com). 

I haven't used AutomotiveTouchUp before but probably because they don't seem to have the paint colors I want. I do mostly cars I've owned and get TouchUp paint from Paintscratch.com. I've has good success with their paint and use cheap lacquer thinner to make airbrush ready. I've recently been buying their aerosol paint which has gone on well.

I never dealt with these guys, but I have bought paint from PaintScratch.com. It was a bad experience, it is not pre-thinned for airbrushing so I had to purchase their thinners as well. Not sure which thinners they sent, but it was very fast drying. Properly thinned the paint was drying before it hit the surface. Save yourself some trouble and just order from:

• Scale Finishes (Jameston can do Basecoat as well if you request it, love the stuff),
  • Gravity Colors(Mat will custom mix a color if you do not see it listed, min 2 bottles),
  • ZeroPaints (available at http://www.hobbyworld-usa.com). 

I second Scale Finishes!   Jameston Kroon is very helpful, and he can mix any color you need--great paint, great service too!

Art

I really appreciate this thread.  I really like the gray with a touch of blue that I have been seeing on some late model Jeeps. I decided it would be perfect for an upcoming Duesenberg Town Car project I am going to start soon.  I ordered the paint which comes as a base coat clear coat kit. Because I placed an order for it I felt like I had to take it but it was $19.50 gasp! So for the question,  I am thinking I can shoot it over standard automotive primer using lacquer thinner to cut it. What do you think? 

1456585604321.jpg

I really appreciate this thread.  I really like the gray with a touch of blue that I have been seeing on some late model Jeeps. I decided it would be perfect for an upcoming Duesenberg Town Car project I am going to start soon.  I ordered the paint which comes as a base coat clear coat kit. Because I placed an order for it I felt like I had to take it but it was $19.50 gasp! So for the question,  I am thinking I can shoot it over standard automotive primer using lacquer thinner to cut it. What do you think? 

1456585604321.jpg

I've used those touch up bottles from dealers for a couple Subaru's. a VW and a couple of my Porsche's. It takes about a 1:1 mix with lacquer thinned to prepare for the air brush. They all worked well.

Thanks guys, I have emailed Jameston at Scale Finishes and am waiting on a reply.

I will try Gravity, and ZeroPaints as well.  Is there anyway to get in touch with Zero paints to get something mixed here in the states, or will that have to come from across the pond?

Edited by lghtngyello03

I've used those touch up bottles from dealers for a couple Subaru's. a VW and a couple of my Porsche's. It takes about a 1:1 mix with lacquer thinned to prepare for the air brush. They all worked well.

So judging from you saying you have used some touchup bottles from a 1:1, the same should apply to the liquid 2 oz touchup from automotivetouchup.com? Just thin with 1:1 and test spray?

I use regular automotive paint, (enamels and base coats), purchased right from a paint supplier to the 1:1 industry. I buy it in half pints, and the cost is cheaper per ounce than anywhere else. Yeah, at 8 ounces it is a larger quantity, but I use my colors for lots of different projects, so it gets used. Then, I also use regular reducers, primers and clears. I HAVE used Mr. Surfacer, which is awesome, but hard to find except online.

So judging from you saying you have used some touchup bottles from a 1:1, the same should apply to the liquid 2 oz touchup from automotivetouchup.com? Just thin with 1:1 and test spray?

Yes, I have no doubt it will work fine when thinned. Tom, right above, agrees.

So, after cruising scale finishes website, I see that he is the only place that has the 8L5 Royal Sapphire Pearl color available. I bought a 2oz bottle of color, and the 1oz set of the 2k clear.

Having never sprayed anything through my airbrush other than some acrylic Tamiya paints that were thinned 2:1 by me, are the scale finishes color and clear coats easy to shoot? Will the 2oz color and 1 oz clear be enough to cover my 1/24 Tamiya Supra? What air pressure do you guys recommend to shoot with for this paint?

Edited by lghtngyello03

Thanks guys, I have emailed Jameston at Scale Finishes and am waiting on a reply.

I will try Gravity, and ZeroPaints as well.  Is there anyway to get in touch with Zero paints to get something mixed here in the states, or will that have to come from across the pond?

Talk to Matthew Bole at HobbyWorld-USA if you want to bring in a Zero Paint color that he does not have in stock. You can inquire with him about getting a custom color. I think he has an order going in March 1, so if you want anything let him know. But, if you want a custom color, both Scale Finishes and Gravity Colors can help you out.

So, after cruising scale finishes website, I see that he is the only place that has the 8L5 Royal Sapphire Pearl color available. I bought a 2oz bottle of color, and the 1oz set of the 2k clear.

Having never sprayed anything through my airbrush other than some acrylic Tamiya paints that were thinned 2:1 by me, are the scale finishes color and clear coats easy to shoot? Will the 2oz color and 1 oz clear be enough to cover my 1/24 Tamiya Supra? What air pressure do you guys recommend to shoot with for this paint?

All depends on the color, I have sprayed colors that cover great and get the desired effect in 2 coats. Others are very translucent and may take 4, 5, 6 ..... or more coats to get full coverage. This is a darker blue, so it should be fine. I recently painted a 2013 Boss 302 with Scale Finishes Gotta Have It Green and used less than a quarter of the 2oz bottle. For air pressure you need to test your setup to get the best results, could be anywhere between 20-30psi. I use an Iwata HP-C plus gravity feed and get best results at 27psi. 

Talk to Matthew Bole at HobbyWorld-USA if you want to bring in a Zero Paint color that he does not have in stock. You can inquire with him about getting a custom color. I think he has an order going in March 1, so if you want anything let him know. But, if you want a custom color, both Scale Finishes and Gravity Colors can help you out.

Thanks Mike.

I messaged Gravity Colors on Facebook, got a response right away. They can mix the color, but it will be May or later before they get it done. They have put in a order for paints that will come in May. He did say that he would put the 8L5 Royal Sapphire Pearl in to be available in the future.

All depends on the color, I have sprayed colors that cover great and get the desired effect in 2 coats. Others are very translucent and may take 4, 5, 6 ..... or more coats to get full coverage. This is a darker blue, so it should be fine. I recently painted a 2013 Boss 302 with Scale Finishes Gotta Have It Green and used less than a quarter of the 2oz bottle. For air pressure you need to test your setup to get the best results, could be anywhere between 20-30psi. I use an Iwata HP-C plus gravity feed and get best results at 27psi. 

Thanks again. This forum has to be the best for everyone helping out! You go onto the actual car forums, people don't help at all, lol. 

What needle size seems to work the best with their paints? I'm using a Paasche Talon, and a Paasche D3000R compressor. I've sprayed Tamiya Acrylics at 25-30 psi. The first body I painted was with Clear orange over Metallic Silver, and it took a lot of coats to get the desired color. I used the entire bottle of Clear Orange.

Here is my first airbrushed body using clear orange.

20160223 204536

Thanks again. This forum has to be the best for everyone helping out! You go onto the actual car forums, people don't help at all, lol. 

What needle size seems to work the best with their paints? I'm using a Paasche Talon, and a Paasche D3000R compressor. I've sprayed Tamiya Acrylics at 25-30 psi. The first body I painted was with Clear orange over Metallic Silver, and it took a lot of coats to get the desired color. I used the entire bottle of Clear Orange.

Here is my first airbrushed body using clear orange.

20160223 204536

Nice Cameo. My Iwata has a 0.3 mm needle/nozzle.  

Nice Cameo. My Iwata has a 0.3 mm needle/nozzle.  

Thanks, that's the same needle setup I sprayed the Cameo with.

I have noticed that with that size needle, the metallic Tamiya acrylics tend to want to be thinner when spraying than just a solid color.

Edited by lghtngyello03

Thanks, that's the same needle setup I sprayed the Cameo with.

I have noticed that with that size needle, the metallic Tamiya acrylics tend to want to be thinner when spraying than just a solid color.

What wheels did you use on the Cameo, they look good?

Every metallic paint is different, there are many different flake sizes that may cause what you are seeing when you are thinning the paint. 

Edited by Mike Chernecki

• 2 weeks later...

I'm probably chiming in too late.  I use Duplicolor Scratch and Fix pens.  They can be thinned with their lacquer and airbrushed with no issues.  I was able to pick up a few of the old pens on clearance when they went to the new larger style pens.  Only problem now is that they are $15 a piece.  Now I would only buy one if I was painting a 1/16 scale body.

• 5 months later...

This is getting to be an old thread, but I just sprayed some automotivetouchup.com paint on 2 bodies.  It seems great, and does not seem too hot.  I put it over Duplicolor primer, and kept it light - will apply a 2nd coat when this one gasses out.  That said, I sprayed some on the back of an unprimed panel to see what happens - so far, no crazing.

I used regular lacquer thinner (being in California, no fancy lacquer thinners are available.)  Did it about equal parts thinner and paint and sprayed at 15 psi.  The paint was $12 for 2 ounces.  Being unthinned, it is a great value  - 1 ounce would go long way - 2 ounces will probably do 4-5 bodies!.  Honestly I don't think there is necessarily a reason to use this vs. Scale Finishes.  I sort of did it for the heck of it.  It requires clear coat.   Will see how it looks after that.