Model Cars Magazine Forum

Mystery (NNL East30) build ... fixed for Fotki

Foxer

I started a new build that I am hoping I can complete in a short period of time .. VERY short, almost instantly, by my usual standards. I can't reveal what I am building until it is about done, but lets see how far I can go before someone comes up with a guess.

I did try Bondic to attach some brass tubes together as my soldering iron has disappeared. I believe the brass was just too smooth and the Bondic would not stay attached. So some epoxy was used. I made up a jig for the brass rods since I needed two assemblies.

Mystery DSC 1954

The wheels are off a parts '41 Chevy truck and all the sleeves to fit the axle are in place.

Mystery DSC 1956

Mystery DSC 1958

.. that's all, folks.  .. please stay tuned.

Edited by Foxer

All I can guess at this point is some kind of trailer with a fabric-covered top.

Very nice, clean fixture. Simple but effective.

Taking a little extra time to get things square and parallel, and exactly repeatable if you're making multiples, vastly improves just about any project. :D

I painted the wheels ... Italian Red.

Been working on what goes on the transfer and have a narrower plan now ... took some engine and grill work. Also found some material.

Thanks for the interest as I didn't give much to work with. I'm thinking about some tube bending for the seat as nothing I have looks right.

:D

Edited by Foxer

I ran into a recurring problem ... getting epoxy to stick to brass. The tubes just came apart, at least one did so far and I'm not confident the others will last. I did sand the tubes and cleaned with alcohol wipe.

I guess the safe way is to buy a new soldering iron, one just for soldering modeling tubes will be the best but I don't want to spend a lot as I rarely do this. Any recommendations would be appreciated.

mystery DSC 1969

mystery DSC 1970

Edited by Foxer

jb weld, it's epoxy made for metal

And it work great, I have used it on a machine at work.  It works

I always have some JB Weld around, just never heard it described as made for metal. So that goes on today. I had used Devcon 2 Toin epoxy in the 4.5 oz bottles because it's so easy to dispense and keep clean plus the great strength.

Thanks for the heads up guys!

• 4 weeks later...