Model Cars Magazine Forum

Lincoln Capri - 1954 Carrera Panamericana Winner

• 8 months later...

This is going to be a 1/25th scale model of the 1954 Lincoln Capri Ray Crawford raced in the 1954 Carrera Panamericana.

Ray along with co-piloto Enrique finished 1st in the Stock Car Class.

_carrera_panamericanaroad_race-vi.jpg

4LincolnCarreraPanamericanacar-vi.jpg

13484126661730811-vi.jpg

R&R Resins (no longer in exists) produced a resin curbside model of both the 1953 and 1954 Lincoln Capri. I was not able to locate the 1954 kit but was able to find a 1953 kit. No big deal, how much difference is there really! Definitely found out the difference when the kit arrived, more on that later.

1593lincolncapri-vi.jpg

Instead of doing just a curbside of Ray's Lincoln, I decided add chassis and driveline detail to the model. I used the Lindberg 1953 Ford Victoria kit for the chassis, wheels and tires and the Monogram '57 Ford Del Rio Ranch Wagon kit for the engine.

IMG_2094-vi.jpg

I found a set of decals for the car from "Platto's Place" and my buddy Steve filled in with a couple of extra decals.

1954LincolnCapri-vi.jpg

54Lincoln_decalsbysteve-vi.jpg

Now on to the difference between a 1953 and 1954 Lincoln Capri. The chrome trim on the sides and the front and rear bumpers are completely different.

I removed the hood, firewall and chassis side panels from the resin body. To be replaced with the same parts from the 1953 Ford. Also removed the '53 trim from the body.

IMG_2011-vi.jpg

After removing the '53 trim from the body, I used really small half-round plastic strip for the '54 trim.

IMG_2013-vi.jpg

IMG_2015-vi.jpg

More to come...the NNL West is calling!

Hello Curt,

do you remember the size of half round rod that you used? (Diameter)

I'd like to try to add some trim to a project or two for the first time.

Thanks

• 6 years later...
On 5/7/2023 at 10:55 AM, Mitchell Crawford said:

Hi Curt -

This is Mitchell Crawford, Ray's youngest son.  What an amazing project and finished gem you created.  I am sure my Father would be both amazed, and proud of your work.

Thank you Mitchell, that was 7 years ago. I don't know what happened to the model. thanx for bringing back the memories of building it.

• 1 month later...