Model Cars Magazine Forum

Just MY opinion, " Patina TOO far"

Greg Myers

Sorry, just not digg'n the look. Go through all the trouble of repairing and modifying a car and then make it look like a POS. I don't care if it's cleared or faux patina. Driven is one thing but neglected, sorry not for me. My home isn't decorated to look abandoned either but I'm sure somewhere out there....

How do we know the whole thing isn't faked? Who's to say that's real rust, it could all have been done with a spray gun.

And that's a good point: this isn't a traditional patina ride, and that's what I love about it - more of a contemporary thought-invoking piece than the retrospective views that traditional (ahem, "traditional) patina invoke.

Its popular in the aircooled VW world to do this. Especially on very rare survivors. It might be oil or water on the paint as well(just for the picture). There are guys on the Samba website that specialize in this type of look, and they even have ways of bringing out the faded shop logos on the sides of some of the buses and single/double cabs. This car the way it sits will bring more money than if it was restored or painted with a new shiny paint job. 

The problem with flat clear coat is the same as with the flat new car paints (Not sure if those are still the cool thing): Flat requires very special care. If you aren't careful it can be easily scratched or repeated washing will polish the flatness out of the finish. Of course you can't wax it either.  If you want to see what I man, take some Dullcoted part and rub it with a towel. It'll loose the flat finish and will polish out.

Yeah, the "shiny rust" with the other parts that look brand new look weird, but it could be a lot worse guys! There was a show where Jay Leno drove a '48 Buick Super convertible that was a barn find, hadn't been registered since 1958, put the newest and best electronics in the interior, and a 700 hp LS9 Supercharged engine from a Corvette ZR1 in it, and left the rest of the car as found!! But I guess that's what happens when you have more money than you know what to do with!

• 2 weeks later...

Agreed. A gloss clear is stupid on patina. And you guys know I like my patina.

How do we know the whole thing isn't faked? Who's to say that's real rust, it could all have been done with a spray gun.

Sorry, just not digg'n the look. Go through all the trouble of repairing and modifying a car and then make it look like a POS. I don't care if it's cleared or faux patina. Driven is one thing but neglected, sorry not for me. My home isn't decorated to look abandoned either but I'm sure somewhere out there....

why ain't the chrome all rusty too. :huh:

I think the gloss is totally bogus. I'd kinda like it in a flat clear to preserve the as-found look, but the gloss? Yuck.

Walking up the yavnya this afternoon with Goch Jr., we ran across this here 1950 Dodge Coronet, complete with clear gloss coat covered faux patina:

20160402_1416301_zps106kzlfp.jpg

20160402_1416431_zps1jjd38bl.jpg

20160402_1416551_zps2mdsrcny.jpg

20160402_1417081_zps8zbt9mwk.jpg

Notice the chrome is rust-free.

Check out the door lock:

20160402_1417271_zpssxjpexvu.jpg

Y'know, anybody who happens to have a handcuff key on his keychain ;) can, well.....you know. :) 

Edited by SfanGoch

Well, at least the door handle is pitted. :)

As far as rusty chrome goes, if it was done right, it should not be rusty, even on an old rusty car. Same goes for aluminum trim (for obvious reasons). Dull, maybe - rusty? No.

I don't quite get this new fad. But I guess things go in cycles. People are tired of seeing all those prefectly restored old cars - they want to stand out in the crowd. This is one way of accomplishing that. :wacko:

Y'know, anybody who happens to have a handcuff key on his keychain ;) can, well.....you know. :) 

I used to know this girl...now I finally understand; she must have been a car thief. I guess that would explain all the black clothes, too. 

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

I don't quite get this new fad. But I guess things go in cycles. People are tired of seeing all those prefectly restored old cars - they want to stand out in the crowd. This is one way of accomplishing that. :wacko:

You are likely right. I was at the SE Street Rod Nationals this past weekend and there were several very good patina rods  and they were getting a LOT of attention.