Model Cars Magazine Forum

Manx build

Volksfan

This is one of my first builds. My other is a '68 beetle. I'm 14 and I think I'm getting pretty good at this lol not. Anyways I am learning

I used 2 coats of Tamiya primer spray can, 3 coats of testers one coat lacquer, and then 3 coats of testers one coat lacquer clear. The bottom is Tamiya black. I used Tamiya masking tape.

Criticism is allowed.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Thank you all. I've been working on the engine.

Not the best paint. I should've stripped the chrome before doing but I'm a newbie I'm learning. It looks better in person though. I'm however going to touch up the paint because of assembly issues.

I am also going to wire the distributer.

image.jpeg

Ok, so I was researching custom dual carbs for air cooled vw engines. And the amt carbs look nothing like what they do in real life so I found a pair of perfect sized air cleaners for the engine from another kit I'm going to build sometime later (hint hint) '78 trans am?

Also I did some test fitting.

image.jpeg

image.jpg

I really like what I see here. You seem to be a "fast learner" LOL! Engine is coming along great and the paint....well I've been building for almost 50 years now and I still can't do better than You when it comes to paint. Keep up the good work and let's see more nice builds!

You're off to a great start. 

The more I see of this engine though, the less I like it. Not your work, the engine casting itself. I know its an ancient mold. The distributor angle is way exaggerated, and those intake manifolds are ridiculously too long. 

wow, Tyler, you are a quick study if I ever saw one....that's one fine paint job, and I have no doubt that the finished car will be great....nice work there, and its great to see a young fella so enthused about the hobby.........best,,,,the Ace......:D

Very nice work!  Just be sure to test fit that those air cleaners will fit under the body.  Always look for interferences!  

I remember the Manx kit being a bit fiddly, especially in the front suspension.  So be careful and take your time!   

You are well on your way to having a great model!

Thanks for the info Jason, I'll keep that in mind for the future, I knew the engine was bland (realistic wise) so that is why I'm going to add the custom air cleaners.

Thanks for the great comments guys. They really make my day.:)

manx engine with dual carbs

image.jpeg

So I test fitted the engine with the new air cleaner in the body but now the engine does not fit. The rear section is too tight. I cannot cut out holes for to fit because that area is showing on the finished piece. Oh well, I am however most likely going to scratch build a linkage though.

I also started drilling holes for the spark plug wires.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

So I test fitted the engine with the new air cleaner in the body but now the engine does not fit. The rear section is too tight. I cannot cut out holes for to fit because that area is showing on the finished piece. Oh well, I am however most likely going to scratch build a linkage though.

I also started drilling holes for the spark plug wires.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

As others have mentioned, the raisers for the carbs are way to big. At one time some VW engine builders were using much shorter raisers to create a plenum between the carb and the heads. I would suggest you consider either shortening or even removing the raisers altogether. The air cleaners are a little over sized and something like the small air cleaners used on the Pontiac Tri-Power set ups might be a better fit. That way it should clear the body and still give you the look of a high performance engine. I think the instructions for the front suspension and the brake drums in particular are a little misleading. You paint job looks great.    

Last year I rebuilt a 40+ year old Manx kit as a bare-frame buggy. One of the carbs was missing, so I used a pair of carbs and air cleaners from Revell's '29 Ford truck "rat rod" as I had no plans to ever use them on anything else. Good enough for this "make it work/git 'er done" rebuild.

I love your buggy. I saw the discussion before and read that you made your own gas pedals. One question however, why does the floor pane have no holes or pegs for the seats to go in? I know it is an old mold but are just supposed to guess where the seats go?

image.jpeg

You're kinda on your own for seat placement. If you read my buggy buildup, you know I had a problem finding a good place for the seats where it wouldn't obviously take an orangutan to drive the thing. Maybe the steering wheel location is better with the Manx body on it instead of the naked steering column.

Yeah, that front suspension tierod thingie is a bear to place. Nothing real positive. But since you're using the Manx body, most of that won't show anyway. It's kinda hanging out on mine.

It looks like you painted the underpart of the body black. Most real-world Manxes I've seen seem to have been this way, but I've seen many, many models built here and elsewhere where the builder didn't do this, so, good catch.