Model Cars Magazine Forum

'29 Ford Roadster - channelled over Deuce frame

Phildaupho

This model is a tribute to Skip Hudson’s ’29 Roadster that was one of the two cars on the first color cover of Hot Rod magazine in April 1951 although there was no mention of it on the inside of the magazine. After the Hot Rod cover, the car’s story dries up. I have read that Skip sold the car because he was getting pulled over by the police too often. It was not long after that Skip joined the army during the Korean War. After his discharge he got into sports cars racing which was getting very popular in California. He went on to become an accomplished racing car driver.

This model has appeared Under Glass previously in its as raced at Bonneville configuration when Dan Gurney drove in his first sanctioned competition.

Build details were posted On The Workbench

Since then the numbers have been removed, air cleaners and street exhaust are in place and the windshield and headlights installed. The model now has the kit rear tires with caps and rings installed all around.

To summarize the build the Revell ’29 was channelled over the Deuce frame that was narrowed in the rear and incorporates Revell Deuce front rails. Out back is a buggy sprung quick-change. The rear wheel wells were restored to near stock positions. A louvered hood and sides were lengthened to meet the sectioned Deuce grill shell. The engine/transmission is from the Revell ’48 Ford Coupe with intake manifold/carbs, front cover and engine mounts from the Revell Deuce Sedan.

DSCN2992DSCN2993DSCN2994DSCN2995DSCN2996DSCN2998

It's all very solid work. Well done. How did you do those latches?

I had to hunt around to find something that looked right and finally found these 'body panel connectors" in a tube frame Trans-Am Ron Fellows Camaro kit. They are a pretty good representation of the old lunch box latches. may have to look into getting some 3-D printed!!

Fantastic! I enjoyed following this project and as cool as it was in stripped down form for the lakes, I really like it in full street dress. This is an excellent representation of a dual purpose roadster back in the day. It's too bad the two versions can't be displayed side by side. Maybe you can make a split picture? 

Fantastic! I enjoyed following this project and as cool as it was in stripped down form for the lakes, I really like it in full street dress. This is an excellent representation of a dual purpose roadster back in the day. It's too bad the two versions can't be displayed side by side. Maybe you can make a split picture? 

Thanks Dennis - how's this

BOTH VERSIONS