Model Cars Magazine Forum

They shoot horses, don't they?

• 7 months later...

Being winter here in Wisconsin with all my usual gardening leave duties finished till next summer,

I have resserected this project.

I did spend some time resurching old early funny cars, and found a car with a fair amount of documentation.

The (Souza Brothers and Dad) steal bodied w/glass front end funny. 

Though most every photo found shows that this car was under constant modifications.

I did find good info from an old (drag-zine) that gives me some great info, so I will try to base things from it.

There is lots of missing details like what was the actual wheelbase of the car I am trying to create.

I will have to find a good 427 Wedge W/C6 trans. Algon injection (some photos of this car show Cobra

valve covers) is that an A.C. Cobra motor?

There is a fair amount of styrene editing going on at this point.

If I could ask.

1) what is a good source of an 427 wedge block w/c6 trans.?

2) Do you think this photo depicts a lengthened body, or just the front wheel wells moved forward?

3) is there a way to have decals made for this car?

IMG_0779.JPG

I was wondering when your Souza Bros. car would surface as a build thread.

if you have a straight profile shot of the car, it's easy to scale off of it to get a close approximation of the wheelbase.

There's no question that both the front and rear wheels have been moved forward. The rear wheel arch is just about centered under the quarter window (much farther forward) and the front fender appears to have been stretched ahead of the door as well (in addition to the wheel arch being moved forward in the fender).

There's no difference, really, between Cobra FE engines and any others...besides the valve covers. A good 427 FE for cheap is available from Revell (on Ebay, under $5 if you shop around) as the old parts-pack kit, but I don't know where you'll find a C6 right off hand.

Image result for revell ford 427 engine model

Thank you all for the comments.

This is really turning out to be a enjoyable yet challenging project. The chassis I worked so hard on is now in the scrap pile.

It was just not correct in so many ways, The body in the old AMT funny car kit is really a quite good representation of the 

factory cars that were sent to Holman Moody( rear wheel wells moved forward etc.), the rest of the kit ehh.

I have bene bussy with the razor saw on the interior tub, and my workbench is covered with card stock templates.

I have done a LOT of research, but there are just some things I will have to guess at.

One thing I really don't know is what the rear interior looked like behind the roll bar, I am guessing it was uncomplicated.

The documentation I have collected on this car so far is my guide and I am trying hard not to let my inner engineer to take over.

The motor and trans look good Paul, I just don't know about the Algon injection.

Bill, here is a side view of the car.

To me it sure looks like a stock hood length with the lower portion of the wheel well extended forward.

What do you think?

SouzaSide.jpg

Bill, here is a side view of the car.

To me it sure looks like a stock hood length with the lower portion of the wheel well extended forward.

What do you think?

SouzaSide.jpg

I think you might be right. If you put your finger over the lower edge of the car to hide the wheel cutouts, the rest of the upper proportions look a lot like stock Mustang.

As far as the Algon injection goes, it works just like Hilborn, but looks a little different.

If you don't want to scratch-build an accurate Algon manifold etc., Speed City makes this resin Hilborn unit for the old Mopar Hemi that should be a good place to start, and has about the right port-spacing for a Ford FE.

mopar%20hilborn%20injector.jpg

The tricky bit for an FE-specific manifold is that the upper (inner) valve-cover-gasket rails are part of the manifold (not part of the heads as on most other engines), so there's a fair bit of modding to do to get the exact right look. Combine a kit FE-manifold with the resin one above, and you ought to be able to get something reasonable.

Pretty sure that front end is stock length, but the openings have been moved forward--and then the wheels themselves situated so that they crowd even those at the front edge.

The rear wheel openings aren't moved as far forward as the AMT body, and I think the AMT body's openings are larger, but it might be more work to fix this to true accuracy than it's worth. I don't think I'd sweat it.

I needed an engine block and c6 transmission to move on with the mock up of the interior (firewall and trans tunnel) as well figuring out the 

setback of the motor.

I found a 1971 ford Ranger(Moebius kit) locally. Has a 390 block with as far as I can tell a c6 transmission. Is it?

Anyway I'm using them to lay out the cutout in the firewall and make sure the hump clears everything until I can get

the correct parts.

The Transmission in the Moebius kit is nicely molded and looks like the c6 ones I can find online.

Please let me know if I'm wrong, not a ford expert.

The 390 Block is not that great and I need something with better detail for such an exposed engine situation.

Made a mockup frame, well more like a cradle to hold the engine in place while I work on the floorpan.

I'm leaning toward doing an early version of the car (short wheelbase, leaf spring front and coil spring rear suspension) less

body mods and easier livery.

Still wish I had a bitt more info on this car as far as what they did with the frame towards the back of the car.

Some things that are unusual to me is the wide spacing of the main frame rails (around the same width as the grill if you look at how

the fiberglass front end attached them).

Another being there are no front diagonal braces to the rollcage and it looks like only one leading back from the hoop.

Here are the pictures. (you can clearly see what Snake is saying about the not correct rear wheel openings in the side view).

Honk if you like it. LOL

Souza.jpg

sidesouza.jpg

top.jpg

AMT's '60 Ford Starliner has a nice 352, not sure if it's the same block as the 390.  AMT's '66 Fairlane GT has a 390 if I am remembering correctly.  Two options you may want to check out.

Edited by afx

• 4 weeks later...

Some progress to report, I had to redo the rear wheel tubs. 

Stupid mistake, when I glued things together I attached the inside panels to the wrong side of my pencil lines.

So that made them to narrow. It's now sorted and the transmission tunnel is finished as well.

Stupid question... why did this car have two brake pedals?

Was one for the front other for the back?

Yah I know, stupid question but I don't know about these types of details of early drag cars.

souzabrake.jpg

tunnel.jpg

Edited by STYRENE-SURFER

My favorite FE Ford motor is Revell's. The Mysterion has two, plus two c -6's.

The only FE Ford fuel injection made was in the 67 AMT Mercury Comet annual, and it was very nice!

I agree with  whoever posted about modifying the MoPar unit. It's accurate (NONE of the present AMT's for any engine are really accurate at all), just needs cutting and fitting to the Ford.

My favorite FE Ford motor is Revell's. The Mysterion has two, plus two c -6's.

The only FE Ford fuel injection made was in the 67 AMT Mercury Comet annual, and it was very nice!

I agree with  whoever posted about modifying the MoPar unit. It's accurate (NONE of the present AMT's for any engine are really accurate at all), just needs cutting and fitting to the Ford.

The Moebius 71 Ranger has a really nice c-6, the 350 block and heads in the kit I think I can use as a base for an FE.

The injectors and manifold will probably have to be scratch built.

• 2 weeks later...

Got the interior tub finished, it's going to be painted to replicate aluminum so I had to take extra care making good clean seams 

in the 15 separate pieces. As well as some fine sanding. (shown with my mockup rear axle)

I had sanded some .100 x .188" Evergreen strips down to .100 X .132" for the frame rails, only problem with them is they are not

going to be strong enough to hold up the front of the car without some kind of additional support. (see picture)

The real car had no diagonal bracing up front. Have thought about brass but can't find the size needed (something close to 1/8x3/32")

or Evergreen 1/8" square tube with a brass or carbon fiber rod slid into it would work but look slightly out of scale.

int5.jpg

mockup1.jpg