Model Cars Magazine Forum

Let's See Some Glue Bombs!

5 hours ago, Ron Hamilton said:

You know I have worked over my share of glue-bombs and dirt daubers. Several years ago, I picked yp this rather forlorn 65 Chrysler 300 Convertible. 2006_0531porkchopone0032.jpg

2006_1125modelsnov260024.jpg

2006_1125modelsnov260025.jpg

I think it cleaned up pretty nice. When I painted it, I did not realize that the Model Master Silver was so grainy, so I used the Kelsey Hayes Stripper Wheels from the AMT 66 Mercury to give the build a mild street machine vibe. That paint looks like it was off of a bass boat, but I like it.

Alas I was looking over the model when I was doing some dusting, and I found a crack in the right quarter panel in the plastic clean through the paint. I surmise that it was a combinat6ion of the brittle JoHan styrene and the mild earthquake and hurricanes we had over the past decade. I may strip it, fix it, and repaint it Tamiya Metallic Red, or just leave it alone.

Fortunately, I have been able to do projects like this one in the past with The Modelhaus being in business. Lately, it has been more difficult to bring them back. buying parts off of Ebay vendors have been hit and miss, or too expensive. Fortunately, I have some friends here on the board who has come to my rescue from the wanted section here on the board, and I am eternally grateful to them.

Wait til you see what I do to this crispy critter.

What a great transformation. Great job on the restoration.

There is one in the pile,also convertible even tho i wanted a hardtop,take what you can these days.

6 hours ago, Spex84 said:

I picked up a few corvette glue bombs recently in a lot of mixed parts and chrome trees. The '53 is just a shell, and one of the '57s is barely even glued so not sure it counts, haha. But the brown '57 is definitely of the bomb variety...The roof is glued to the windshield but otherwise not too bad. I'm thinking maybe a radical '60s custom 'vette is in the future...

Sept1Kelowna_corvettes-vi.jpg

Nice one-piece (not flip-nose) MPC '57 Vette bodies are getting harder to find. That one's not too far gone to be brought back. The common backbirth flipnose gasser kit can provide a new windshield, windshield frame, top, and whatever body trim parts you'd need. That one would make a nice "Day Two"--no need to radically customize it. 

7 hours ago, om617 said:

Great thread.    Junker i picked up some years back.

106.jpg

DSC_0863.jpg

Wow! That came out great. My 61 was kind of crispy. The tail lamps were welded in, and I had to carefully deemed them out.  I like yours better than mine, as mine is painted dark gray, with the white tri-tone interior. I have a few 62s to do. One Bonneville, and 3 Catalinas.

5 hours ago, Snake45 said:

Nice one-piece (not flip-nose) MPC '57 Vette bodies are getting harder to find. That one's not too far gone to be brought back. The common backbirth flipnose gasser kit can provide a new windshield, windshield frame, top, and whatever body trim parts you'd need. That one would make a nice "Day Two"--no need to radically customize it. 

Very nice selection of restorable C1 Corvettes.

12 hours ago, Snake45 said:

The common backbirth flipnose gasser kit can provide a new windshield, windshield frame, top, and whatever body trim parts you'd need.

Haha, yes. I'm actually delighted, as I had both the MPC 57 flip nose and the '57 street machine in the 90s, and both ended up getting horribly butchered as I had ambition but no skills back then. That means I have all the flip-nose parts still. I was in the process of fixing the butchered headlights on the grey '57 and turning it into an MSP drag car derelict. There should be enough unused parts to bring these new additions back to life.

I didn't realize the MPC '57 was desirable at all; the flip nose is generally regarded as a brutal kit and not just for the poor hood fit. Flash, sink marks, etc abound.

Another one from my new Big Box O Glue Bombs: Original Monogram '55 Chevy convertible, built as a custom. It's missing one headlight lens and one of the lakes pipes, both could be easily replaced. The T-Birdish top was once glued on but is separate now and could be used in a restoration or not. The fender skirts are glued on, I don't know how securely. All four wheels with whitewall tires are here, as is the custom grille. This one is probably in good enough condition that the nice aqua/turquoise plastic could be polished up and the thing displayed as a real "period piece." B)

55ChevMonogram02.jpg.702212b38984e28a7489ff574131c04f.jpg

55ChevMonogram04.jpg.b661736a2eac72a7ca842523250836e7.jpg

55ChevMonogram05.jpg.c26f74d1c790038f04b741fbe51f0b14.jpg

• 5 weeks later...

My latest haul of Toy Show Glue Bombs. 

AMT '32 Vicky, '80s issue molded in silver. Missing headlights and grille insert but otherwise complete. Looks like it should respond to a Snake-Fu beatdown. 

32VickyGB05.jpg.7e93cc188da7338f19888df3b2e98ae5.jpg

'34 Ford--AMT '90s issue? Very complete except for headlight lenses. Haven't taken it apart so I don't know yet if it was molded in blue or is just VERY cleanly applied blue paint, but there's blue everywhere you can see (i.e., no white or gray). Another quick Snake-Fu flip. Needs bigger tires on the rear, though. Can do easy. 

34FordBlue03.jpg.5c9e5be6c7d5fb2038b552b5c216a574.jpg

MPC '57 Chevy flip-nose. Complete except for headers and taillights. Looks like a good candidate to try something I've been wanting to do for some time: Graft in sections from a Revell HT body (which has a crushed roof) to correct the side trim and wheel openings. If that doesn't work, I'll just clean all the trim off the sides and then maybe alter the wheelbase, just for the helluvit. Good cheap project.

57ChevGasserGB03.jpg.855f04f7a36ff9eb135480e14980d672.jpg

MPC '57 Corvette. All the parts to complete are in the plastic baggie behind it, but there's NO amount of Snake-Fu that can bring this one back. All I need here, though, is the body itself, which will go on one of the flip-nose gasser kits I have (which has a WRETCHED HORRID DREADFUL BACKBIRTH of a 2-piece body). These 1-piece bodies are getting harder to find, and I consider this one well worth the $6 I paid for the thing. The good wheels and tires and whatever else I can salvage from it are just gravy! 

57CorvetteGB01.jpg.2881da1be0b326629ed8e1a7b7579656.jpg

AMT '62 Corvette dragster. Been a while since I've seen a better candidate for a full-on Snake-Fu rehab workout, a la the  MPC '66 Vette gasser I recently showed here. The decals are in bad shape and will have to go, but I think I can save the purplish maroon paint. The hood lump just screams Modified Production, and I'm thinking the tunnel-ram BBC from an AMT '72 Nova will find a natural home under it. Can hardly wait to start on this one! 

62CorvettePurple03.jpg.3eb821059210ef139f5e9b576eb60145.jpg

62CorvettePurple06.jpg.9c811b9d1e7fc8605df537864f0621c4.jpg

• 5 weeks later...
Just now, henry57 said:

Wow would not have guessed that. Was it ever reissued? Guess I'll probably never find a hood for it.

The hood, along with a whole bunch of trim/chassis parts can be found in the common-as-dirt AMT '66 hardtop kit.  The grille should be a drop-in fit as well but the '65/'66 grilles don't match.

Edited by pack rat

46 minutes ago, pack rat said:

The hood, along with a whole bunch of trim/chassis parts can be found in the common-as-dirt AMT '66 hardtop kit.  The grille should be a drop-in fit as well but the '65/'66 grilles don't match.

What he said. It's very desirable and very restorable. Great find!B)