Model Cars Magazine Forum

Mixing colors to brush

Hey guys. I am looking to mix colors to brush my motor with. Maybe for even airbrushing as well. Anyways I tried mixing for a light blue like the color of this motor. When I would go to brush sometimes I would get white, sometimes light blue, just not a constant blue color. Is there a trick to this? I mixed white and blue with a toothpick. The color looked good on the tray, but again when I went to paint I got more white than anything. Need help please. 

image.jpg

Thanks Russ, I will try that. I was mixing very little b/c I didn't need much to paint the motor. I guess I need to get a bigger mix going and use something bigger to mix. I will just save the color in a jar for use later! 

As others have said it needs mixed more. If you use the brush that you are going to apply the paint with then make sure the paint that is in the bristles is mixed well too. same goes for mixing colors to air brush. mix it with a brush to get the paint that clings to the jar mixed in with the rest. The thicker the paint was before thinning the more important this step is.

Edited by dshue76

I mix my own engine colors all the time, but I airbrush them.

You can buy little paint cups in the craft paint department of Hobby Lobby for mixing & storing very small amounts of paint for brush painting.

They hold 1/5th oz. & cost about $2.00 for I believe a dozen of them.

When I'm done using them, I just toss them out.

Steve

photo DSCN5011_zpsbckhjzhl.jpg

If that's the blue you're looking for, Krylon has an almost dead on spray can. Krylon 51512 Blue Ocean Breeze.

Testor "little bottle" #8 Blue isn't far off that, either. And if you have a well stocked hobby shop, take a look at the military flat colors. Pretty sure you'll find a similar light blue, and the flat will be easier to brush, cover better, dry faster, and look more authentic on an engine than a high gloss enamel. 

Transmission would be a metal color of some sort.

Aluminum is usually a good choice.

The starter, (in the photo on the side of the block) would be black.

You can use your imagination for things like the oil filter.

They came in all sorts of colors.

Steve

Thanks Steve!

Use beer caps as small mixing bowls. Give them a quick wash and they are perfect. Most of use usually can find a few lying around.

Also add a little thinner to the paints when mixing (and maybe a drop of retarder). The thinner will help the colors integrate easier.  

Danger

Use beer caps as small mixing bowls. Give them a quick wash and they are perfect. Most of use usually can find a few lying around.

Also add a little thinner to the paints when mixing (and maybe a drop of retarder). The thinner will help the colors integrate easier.  

Danger

Beauty answer, Eh? :D