Model Cars Magazine Forum

Hot Wheels Sweet 16 Tribute Collection Builds - Which one should be built next?

RestoModGuy

Like many of you, Hot Wheels cars were a big part of my childhood. I believe those little redline mag wheels got me hooked on cars when I was 6 years old.

The past few months I've decided to build tributes to the original "Sweet 16" Hot Wheels introduced in 1968. I have acquired, at a huge cost, one of all 16 cars and have started the build collection with first the Custom Cougar, Deora and Hot Heap. Finished the Custom T-Bird 7/17

I will be adding to this thread as I build them. I'm not building high detailed models, in fact I'm trying to replicate what these would be as bigger 1/25 scale versions, even with silver painted chassis and engine compartments with chrome engines if I can as I did with the Hot Heap, so be fair in judgement these are not built to be Best of Show models.

The "Redline" wheels are Pegasus "T's". I used black and red sharpies to create the illusion of the Redline wheels.

Hope you enjoy looking at these, as much as I'm having fun building them.

hwcollect.thumb.jpg.181109bb8fe85fe40421

IMG_3873.thumb.JPG.53cdf50dc5bf2dc0eda44

1967 Custom Cougar - 

IMG_3865.thumb.JPG.5f169cc19951413507251

IMG_3867.thumb.JPG.358235c7e29a5382cd460

IMG_3868.thumb.JPG.faf7b1df62a76fb986c35

Deora - Handmade surf-boards were fun to make from plastifoam board

IMG_3860.thumb.JPG.49980d226a88c9e4cb708

IMG_3862.thumb.JPG.55fc31eea2c190fd39bff

IMG_3864.thumb.JPG.ccc26ecdaae90f3861791

Hot Heap - Built this for a stock 1913 Model T kit from Russia I found on ebay, hard to find full-fendered T models. I heavily modified this to look like the Hot Wheel. I know, there is an MPC kit to build this from but hard to find and crazy money.

IMG_3854.thumb.JPG.c06b3c782754bc3f17c8d

IMG_3855.thumb.JPG.8a515039a5ac23976bf47

IMG_3857.thumb.JPG.b1cb82468ad7061690c56

1967 T-Bird- Added the "custom hood bump"

IMG_4850.thumb.JPG.bfd46b1e8a38ea9664146

IMG_4834.JPG

IMG_4836.JPG

IMG_4839.JPG

IMG_4840.JPG

IMG_4843.JPG

Edited by RestoModGuy
Added a picture

Whoa!!!! What a cool project!! Always nice to see folks building what they're passionate about! And those really are some super- nice builds!! I'm a child of the 70s and 80s and I always had an ample supply of Hot Wheels on hand. And I didn't drag mine through the mud like most kids did. I liked to keep mine all new and shiny looking. Sure wish I still had em all.

Is this ever an awesome idea! Great stuff, l love the over sized wheels and red lines you put on them.  The Cougar is my favorite....looks like a very well assembled model....congrats on all, and the idea! :D

Such a cool idea! Looking forward to seeing the next set.

I still remember the excitement as a kid of opening a Hot Wheels blister pack, and I still get some of that same excitement as an adult of ripping the cellophane off a plastic model kit. 

Nice work, and great use of Pegasus wheels!

Now I wanna see that Custom Fleetside next. :D

Thanks.

That one is going to be a full custom build using the 72 Chevy Fleetside kit, which is basically the same as the 68 Fleetside the Hot Wheel is built from.  I'm looking for that one to be a Fall-Winter build. 

s-l1600.thumb.jpg.de174809e182cfd8822db7

Edited by RestoModGuy

Wow! Is this cool. What a great idea. And first three vehicles look great, I like the wheels much better than I expected.

A little history before you start the Custom Fleetside. It was not based on a Chevy Fleetside pickup like one would think. It was based on Hot Wheels designer, I beleive Larry Woods, personal truck. Which was really an El Camino. There plenty of info on line. Including pictures of the real customized El Camino. I was never all that convinced it was based on an El Camino until I saw pictures of the rear truck. When you see it, you'll see the Hot Wheels version in a whole different light.

Looking forward to the rest of builds. I love the idea.

Edited by unclescott58

Wow! Is this cool. What a great idea. And first three vehicles look great, I like the wheels much better than I expected.

A little history before you start the Custom Fleetside. It was not based on a Chevy Fleetside pickup like one would think. It was based on Hot Wheels designer, I beleive Larry Woods, personal truck. Which was really an El Camino. There plenty of info on line. Including pictures of the real customized El Camino. I was never all that convinced it was based on an El Camino until I saw pictures of the rear truck. When you see it, you'll see the Hot Wheels version in a whole different light.

Looking forward to the rest of builds. I love the idea.

Harry Bradley, actually....

This was his original custom Camino.

Edited by Drake69

whow !!! awsome idea and execution !! , love it ! will be looking out for more versions

did they release the first hotwheels in several colors or in the colors like on the pic you posted ? wondered about that because your color are different from the pic ..

oh and you have the real hotwheels ? would be cool t shoot pic with the small car beside the 1/25 that would really be cool

Yes, I've done my research and correct the primary idea for all Hot Wheels was inspired by Harry's real Camino, even his red-line tires made the cut to Hot Wheels.

However, the Fleetside HW is a highly modified Fleetside pick-up truck when you look at the hood and sides. The Camino has different lines completely and when you study the HW lines it's more Fleetside than Camino, reason it's called the Custom Fleetside.

Fleet_HarryBradleyRendering.thumb.jpg.48Fleet_HarryBradleySketch.thumb.jpg.928a9Fleet_orange.thumb.jpg.a0341ad26b48e2e51

The HW Fleetside is a blend between both the pick-up and an Camino. The base for the HW build has to start with the pick-up and I'll modify the cab roof and mold the bed to the cab with modification to the tailgate.  

did they release the first hotwheels in several colors or in the colors like on the pic you posted ? wondered about that because your color are different from the pic ..

Yes, many different colors in the first year al all years after. Some colors are rare and some more common. The colors I'm choosing for my builds are based from my memory of what colors I had of each one. I wish I still had all of them. I plan to make final pics of all my 1/25 builds with pics from the Hot Wheels sites.