Model Cars Magazine Forum

Pontiac - 1965 2+2 - First build in 40 years

RestoModGuy

FIrst, I gotta say welcome back! In a BIG way!

In '65, GM could do no wrong as there wasn't an ugly car in the whole bunch! Your model is absolutely gorgeous, and as far as the wheels------not my choice, but they seem to work very well with this type of car.

For someone that's been out of it for 40 years, one would never know it! Your paint is super clean, and you did a great job with the BMF. Not always an easy thing to master for someone that's new at it.

Hope to see more from you! I have no "getting back into it builds". I may take a break here and there, but it's funny that I started building models right around the time you had stopped! :D This would have been in '78 when I was a senior in high school, and I've been building pretty much since then.

IMG_9873.thumb.JPG.ffcf922c55ca40b95fe54

Man, what a beautiful job you did - I hope I can get paint to look half this good after being out of practice.

This particular photo is special for another reason - if you look closely, it tells better than words can about how badly AMT messed up the driver's side window opening!

Great paint Jim. I have always liked the 'stacked light' Pontiacs and your build is flattering to the car. Nice clean build.

Wheels: I am a bit of an old fart so I have to agree with Harry on this point. (not to suggest that Harry is an old fart - that would probably get me 'probation'!). The 8 lugs just look good to me.

After seeing your post I happened across a Bonneville reissue in my stash and took a look at it. I think I have found my next build. Thanks for the inspiration

Brian

I agree with Harry as well, but I've always been a sucker for the Pontiac 8 lug wheels.

If I had to choose between the wheels you offered Jim, hands down it would be #1!

I'm personally not a fan of any of the modern wheels on an old car.

They always just look really out of place to me.

The wires look good.

Steve

IMHO definitely not gold. #1 may work with a set of whitewalls. That might be the direction I go with on a '70 T-Bird glue bomb I recently picked up, if I rebuild it at all. I want to get the Trues and Vogue look. I am a 50 year old fart that thinks stock wheels on an old car just makes it look like an old car no matter how clean it is. I'm one that can appreciate uniqueness, individual style and slight updates to the classics. That's just MHO and we know what they say about opions.

I vote "none of the above." But if I have to pick among your 5 choices, I pick #4.

But I really prefer option #6...

pontiac_zpsljmkcuc6.jpg

Nice Photoshop Harry! Well done my friend.

I do and always have liked the 8-lugs, it's what i grew up with, my dad owned several Ponchos is the 60's and 70's and while I appreciate the stock look, it's never been my build style in modeling or in 1:1's. That said, I recently acquired a 63 GP resin to build stock of my dad's car he bought new in '63, the only stock build I'll probably ever build honestly.

Note my tag-name; RestoModGuy. I've never built or owned a "stock" car, so the different wheels are my style and always have been. So, being appreciative of your masterful rendition, my build will have that stock 8-lug image forever now, thank you Harry, well done!

That said, #4 is my first choice too!

Edited by RestoModGuy
added

IMHO definitely not gold. #1 may work with a set of whitewalls. That might be the direction I go with on a '70 T-Bird glue bomb I recently picked up, if I rebuild it at all. I want to get the Trues and Vogue look. I am a 50 year old fart that thinks stock wheels on an old car just makes it look like an old car no matter how clean it is. I'm one that can appreciate uniqueness, individual style and slight updates to the classics. That's just MHO and we know what they say about opions.

Thanks for the comment Perspective Custom... I'm not a stock guy either and never have been. Not a fan of ther bright gold either, thought about a body color match though...  I like the look to update with new wheels myself, I'm favoriting #4, what do you like of the choices?