Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell 1/25 Peterbilt 359 Conventional

I finally finished the Peterbilt i bought a while back.  The colors are a bit yellowed due to the lighting I have in my makeshift photo booth.  I am going to make a simple diorama base for it, possibly a road and enter into the county fair this August.  Then I might just hook it to my lowboy and have it toting around some cargo.

Thanks for looking

IMAG6167.thumb.jpg.ca6a603936cb16caca756

For some reason I wanted to put that flag decal that came with the kit on, it looks pretty good.

IMAG6168.thumb.jpg.3dbf99ec865ea9035c3bb

IMAG6169.thumb.jpg.7c95499631e76d8783d7d

My first attempt at playing with the bare metal foil on the covers and door handles.  I admit it looks pretty good.

IMAG6170.thumb.jpg.cc4921ecb613cceb3df43

If you notice the air filter is a bit crooked.  If I would have put it on just how the instructions called for the step on the fender would catch and you could not open the hood.  Glad I caught that before I glued it...test fitting...what a concept.

IMAG6171.thumb.jpg.d5a90893a55093c7c9041

IMAG6172.thumb.jpg.2339cdb1a574ce899c396

For some reason there is a bit of a gap between the hood and the body below the window.  Good thing that it is even and does not look too bad.

IMAG6173.thumb.jpg.a1bed920b08eda6c8421a

IMAG6174.thumb.jpg.c2200f3bef05e38de3faf

My landlord owns a trucking company and he owns a couple of these.  Good thing he does not mind me taking reference pictures of the engine.  Mine looks a lot cleaner than all of his.

IMAG6175.thumb.jpg.8070088da69de4ad0ce2d

It is a bit difficult to see, but notice the firewall is covered in bare metal foil.  I painted it and it did not come out how i wanted it to, so I said why not.

IMAG6176.thumb.jpg.8b42d67a21ca88260753e

IMAG6177.thumb.jpg.252ebb1441457453c44da

IMAG6178.thumb.jpg.48ff85411842285c95619

IMAG6179.thumb.jpg.ca708d2f86ed1d64549a0

The seats are the same color read and grey as the body, too bad it is not easier to get a picture of them.

IMAG6180.thumb.jpg.c4c08da766cc7670936fb

I know he owns at least one 359 (his original truck), but I am not sure of the exact model number of some of the others he just told me that the Peterbilts are out there (as he motioned to the parking lot full of trucks that all look alike).  He has gotten rid of most the Peterbilts for Volvos.  He said he like them better.  I don't know, I just like the models mostly. 

That was my first time using the BMF.  I found it really easy to use, just as long as you don't put too much pressure or pull too much on it.  I want to give it a try someplace that is more prevalent next time.

I agree with everybody else on this one....The engine stands out.....The build is pretty clean, overall, and I do like the interior.....But, you did a great job on the engine bay....It's cool to see all the ways this simple model can be dressed up.....Great job....

Thank you everyone for your wonderful positive feedback.  I have to admit when building this one and even after I finished I never found the engine different enough to stand out.  Wish I would have taken pictures of the interior before I put it in the body, I spent a decent amount of time detailing it and I cannot even get a decent picture to show you.  I started the diorama base this weekend, however I don't have much time to fuse with models during the summer.

• 4 weeks later...

Thank you everyone for your wonderful positive feedback.  I have to admit when building this one and even after I finished I never found the engine different enough to stand out.  Wish I would have taken pictures of the interior before I put it in the body, I spent a decent amount of time detailing it and I cannot even get a decent picture to show you.  I started the diorama base this weekend, however I don't have much time to fuse with models during the summer.

I just received this kit for my birthday and can't wait to start it. Your build is awesome. Just a question did you use the stock wheels/tires? I've read they can be quite difficult to get right and have to be substituted in a number of cases. Once again thanks for your model. Well done.

JerseeJerry55

They do look like the stock rims and tires. All but 2 of the tires that came in my kit were warped so I used the ones from Moebius. Looks like Peter lucked out and got some decent ones in his kit. Good to see.

I guess when you say warped they're egg shaped. I will have to check mine thoroughly when I start my build. If you have to use Moebius' wheel tires I've read that you have to modify them to fit. When you used them was that the case. You'd think Revell would have addressed the issue somewhere along the line.

JerseeJerry

Sorry it took me so long to respond, I did not see the question from Jerry.

To answer your question those are the stock rims and tires.  As a matter of fact the entire truck is stock.  The only issue I had with the kit was with the hood.  First, getting it on and then the step on the hood hangs on the air filter on the passenger side.  

Sorry it took me so long to respond, I did not see the question from Jerry.

To answer your question those are the stock rims and tires.  As a matter of fact the entire truck is stock.  The only issue I had with the kit was with the hood.  First, getting it on and then the step on the hood hangs on the air filter on the passenger side.  

Did you see any issue with the shape of the tires or the fit of the wheels to the tires.

I guess when you say warped they're egg shaped. I will have to check mine thoroughly when I start my build. If you have to use Moebius' wheel tires I've read that you have to modify them to fit. When you used them was that the case. You'd think Revell would have addressed the issue somewhere along the line.

JerseeJerry

They were weirdly shaped and the side walls were sagging outwards. I opened another 2 of these kits I have and they were the same.

The Moebius rims and tires do not have to be modified in any way. They do fit on the drive wheels great and just a little glue to keep them in place (so, no freewheeling). The front axle spindles have to be shortened a little so the wheels sit under the front fenders correctly. I'm not sure if you would need to modify them to suit any other truck kit, but for the Revell snappers, they are almost trouble free.

They were weirdly shaped and the side walls were sagging outwards. I opened another 2 of these kits I have and they were the same.

The Moebius rims and tires do not have to be modified in any way. They do fit on the drive wheels great and just a little glue to keep them in place (so, no freewheeling). The front axle spindles have to be shortened a little so the wheels sit under the front fenders correctly. I'm not sure if you would need to modify them to suit any other truck kit, but for the Revell snappers, they are almost trouble free.

Thanks I'll have to order a set of mine are molded similarly.