Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT (Round2) 1961 Chevrolet Impala

Junkman

The old AMT original would be a genuine piece of American history and culture.

The Lindberg is just another one of those naff reissues without any soul.

Depends on what you are looking for in a kit.  If you are looking for the custom pieces and willing to look past the era "shortcuts"  in detail, then the original is definitely in play.

If you intend to build a reasonable stock facsimile of the bubble top, the 1990's vintage Lindberg kit offers a lot.  Here is my version of it, built not long after release.  I added the Cragars, American Satco blackwalls, the aerials and made some engine mods.

100_0046_zps29dbeb14.jpg~original

100_0049_zps4c2b857c.jpg~original

Mind you, if AMT did reissue the 61 kit with the custom pieces, I would definitely be in line to get one.

Agreed.

It all depends on what one seeks in a kit. The Lindberg kit builds into a pretty decent replica. with much better detail than the original kit.

I have a few of the Lindberg examples, and also a few of the originals,,,,,although all my originals are convertibles.

Edited by gtx6970

Anyone know if those Torque Thrusts are from a previous (maybe drag?) version, or are they newly tooled?  I know there was a Don Nicholson version, but I thought that just had steelies.

If the mags are new, I wonder if they're adding any other speed equipment.  Anyone got the inside scoop?

Edited by Robberbaron

Anyone know if those Torque Thrusts are from a previous (maybe drag?) version, or are they newly tooled?  I know there was a Don Nicholson version, but I thought that just had steelies.

If the mags are new, I wonder if they're adding any other speed equipment.  Anyone got the inside scoop?

The mags are new; the same ones that were tooled for the Lawman Plymouth.  I believe the only other revision are some spacers provided to raise the suspension and some optional rear tires (slicks as used on the Lawman)    

Those Torque Thrust wheels were in the AMT release that had a blue car on the box, but they were unplated. They may have been in at least one of the other Super Stock kits, but it's been years since I've opened one of either of the kits up.

Im definitely in line to get one of these, its a great looking car and a pretty decent kit by the looks of it . Ive put off buying one of the Lindberg ones for a long time because of the windshield cowl error, I think some of the early run of these kits had an incorrect over exagerrated curve to the cowl.

Those Torque Thrust wheels were in the AMT release that had a blue car on the box, but they were unplated. They may have been in at least one of the other Super Stock kits, but it's been years since I've opened one of either of the kits up.

The AMT '62 wheels were similar, but these are freshly-tooled buy Round2.

A closer look at the new one: 

DSCN1146.JPG

The old AMT original would be a genuine piece of American history and culture.

The Lindberg is just another one of those naff reissues without any soul.

I guess I am just a old school kind of guy...the old screw chassis..metal axles..curbside or not to me are just the best ones.  I am not kicking any company issued kit they all have there positives and negatives to them.

If they could find the 1961 Impala 4dr Sport Sedan, that would be great

Alas, that was only out as a promo 55 years ago, tooling probably long gone..and the '61 ht and convertible annual tooling was updated to the '62, then the '63, so it's long gone also...

Edited by Rob Hall

Im definitely in line to get one of these, its a great looking car and a pretty decent kit by the looks of it . Ive put off buying one of the Lindberg ones for a long time because of the windshield cowl error, I think some of the early run of these kits had an incorrect over exagerrated curve to the cowl.

No worries about that now. The cowl was corrected early in the run and anyone who got one was able to get a correct replacement from the company, including glass, hood and whatever else was on the trees with them. 

Here's a pic to show the difference in the bodies. The original is on the left and corrected on the right. [NOTE, I had cut the inner fenders from the incorrect body for another project, they were the same as the corrected part.

130 3045

Depends on what you are looking for in a kit.  If you are looking for the custom pieces and willing to look past the era "shortcuts"  in detail, then the original is definitely in play.

I was, as always futilely, hoping in vain, that the endless and tedious procession of reissues of the same kit over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over again, would be for once, just once, I mean once, interrupted, to reissue something nobody has been able to get for less than insane money in 55 years.

Yeah, and let alone the 4 door version.

For God's sake, one can snatch one of the last umpteen reissues of the Lindberg kit off eBay for the next 55 years. There was no need whatsoever to reissue it.

Edited by Junkman