Model Cars Magazine Forum

1970 Baldwin Motion Camaro

Harry Joy

Fun kit. Wife pulled it out of the stash after the Plymouth and said she wanted a race car. Right kit to pick. I did a couple of things different on this one, the biggest of which was that I minimized the BMF, using it only on the rockers. The other was that I used MIG washes, not that you can really tell. Painted Tamiya X-34 Metallic Brown (Vallejo Metallic Acrylic Chrome for the trim in place of BMF).

One big bugaboo - after the side marking decals settled good and hard, I realized the one on the left side had broke. I had a devil of a time getting it back in place. From three feet you can't see it, but in the pics above you can. The even bigger bugaboo were the side exhausts. Next time I do something like this kit, I'm going to strip the chrome off those parts so I can work with bare plastic. I didn't do that this time because I originally visualized this as a quick vacation build, since I'm really not the hugest Camaro fan. But it took me longer than a week. About four total.

Edited by Harry Joy

Very cool.

Not 100% absolutely sure, but I believe the door handles need to be foiled.

I looked at a bunch of pics but could not decide. Easier to add than to take away, as the finish was not easy, but I will add the chrome if folks says I should. I did put a dab of silver on the key locks.

I looked at a bunch of pics but could not decide. Easier to add than to take away, as the finish was not easy, but I will add the chrome if folks says I should. I did put a dab of silver on the key locks.

I looked at a bunch too & most of the photos that I saw showed them chrome with a body colored insert in the center.

Some were also solid chrome.

Seems to me that you could go either way.

Nice work Harry!

Steve

$_35.JPG                E360.jpg

Harry your car in real life would have had body colored inserts in the door handles. They were part of options Z21 Style Trim package and Z22 Rally Sport package. Your model depicts a car with the Z22 Rally Sport package. So it should have body color inserts. But.... It's your model, so you can build it any way you want.

Yeah , leave the door handles alone . No sense taking a chance on messing something up !  I think it looks great overall and the MIG washes are very subtle like they should be , too many go overboard with their wash and it doesn't look realistic .  Congrats on a very nice job !